A Quick Note from Jenn Chan, Head of Studio, Darkpaw Games

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Dec 1, 2020.

1. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

Hi All, as you may or may not have already heard, Daybreak Games has entered into an acquisition agreement with a publicly listed gaming company based in Stockholm, Sweden, Enad Global 7 (EG7).

While we are thrilled about this news, we are sure many of you have questions about what this means for the launch date of our titles or operations as a whole. Rest assured nothing will change there. Claws of Veeshan launches on December 8 and Reign of Shadows a week later on December 15. We are excited to bring you these new entries in Norrath’s stories.

As a studio, you may have already noticed we have been doing some hiring recently in support of reinvestment projects. While we aren’t quite ready to discuss the details of those yet, they are in support of the live operations of EverQuest and EverQuest II.

Specifically, being acquired by EG7 advances our ability to continue our development in EverQuest and EverQuest 2, and further spur on our ongoing dedication to EverQuest as a brand.

I am particularly excited because of what Darkpaw brings to EG7, with over 21 years of knowledge and innovation in the live service games space we offer a unique perspective for the many other companies in the EG7 family. I look forward to sharing that expertise on a much larger scale that is afforded to us by this acquisition.

From me, and all of the team at Darkpaw Games, we hope your holiday season is filled with joy and wish you a happy new year.

Jenn Chan
  2. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

Perhaps a QnA session later on will help customers better understand the direction of the game's acquisitions, concerns, goals, developer team layout, and tentative future? There are many thoughts flying around the forums and Discord, and there will surely be more.
  3. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Free Meatballs!
    Sajitari, Miauler, Beee and 12 others like this.
  4. Risxsoul Member

I am very enthusiastic about Meatballs!
  5. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

We're unable to endorse the quoted statement unless the poster is committing to providing the meatballs themselves.
    Skrapa, Miauler, Melt and 15 others like this.
  6. Circadian Member

A Q&A would be nice. I must say that I’m a bit worried of the cash being spent by so many who have preordered (and often on several accounts) the new expansion when for all we know they could decide to shut down EQ2 (or EQ). It feels like the timing of the preorder was intentionally a few weeks before this news to secure those preorders before breaking this news to the community. Nobody wants to spend as much as the premium or collectors edition cost, just to have everything shut down. What is known at this point?
    Cathbad likes this.
  7. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I believe the Swedish term is huvudroll.
  8. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

It's only $8.99 per 2.2 lbs at IKEA.
    Schmetterling likes this.
  9. Sedient Active Member

Free meatballs works until you run out of someone else's meatballs
  10. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

Well, it is known that there it at least an expansion built and mostly working, set to be released soon. It would be a huge waste of time to develop this content and have it beta tested to not release it, especially in two weeks' time. However, this doesn't vouch for the future beyond the next month.
    WhysperWynde, SolarFaire and Breanna like this.
  11. Finnwizz Member

Does this mean we will be getting a new tinkering tool to build all our furniture?
    Tikshadow and kerry like this.
  12. Siren Well-Known Member

Simply by the fact that EG7 just spent $300 million to acquire all of Daybreak, that kinda rules out shutdowns. Would *anybody* spend that much on products just to bury them in the ground right after? That's ridiculous. It's not like they're newly-developed, cutting-edge steam engines for new zero-emissions cars being purchased by the fossil fuel industry to be snuffed out, to protect the life of their antiquated business or something.
  13. Chikkin Well-Known Member

all content from this day forth will require some assembly on the user part
    Lateana, Miauler, Magoo and 6 others like this.
  14. Circadian Member

Yet it happens all the time. They may just want ownership of Everquest (not to mention others ie Planetside) just to put out an EQ3. Which would be great, unless that means shutting down EQ & EQ2. I’m hoping for an EQ3 out of this and I’d love to continue playing the previous.
    Siren, SolarFaire and Breanna like this.
  15. Siren Well-Known Member

I doubt a publisher would sink $300 million in *development* into an EQ game, never mind that just to obtain the rights. They're going to run these MMOs, including LoTRO and DCUO as well as the EQ franchise, you can bet on that. There are no games under 10 years old in Daybreak's roster, and they're managing to haul in $77 million in this past year alone.

I'd definitely bet money on sequels being in the works as well, though: an EQ3 (which Holly even hinted around at before she left) is long overdue, as are a DCUO 2 and LoTRO 2 (and I hope Standing Stone does full faction vs faction PvP next time around, if there is one, instead of that Monster Play stuff. Can you imagine playing dark side classes in LoTRO? That would be intense).
  16. Circadian Member

I’ll definitely keep my fingers crossed that you are right. Dark side classes in LoTRO would be insane!

-Cheers
    WhysperWynde and Siren like this.
  17. Tillamook Member

Thanks man! Things should really be moving now, heard good things about this company.
  18. Nuggetmachine Member

sweet, are we getting an ikea in-game soonTM?
  19. Dude Well-Known Member

I ... uh ... accidentally encountered a bug ... yeah, that's it ... a bug where I seem to have not purchased the lifetime membership on my alt account. Trying to trouble shoot it now, but I think I may ... uh ... need your help. Ttobey said he'd give you free meatballs if you fix this. :rolleyes:
    Breanna and Juraiya like this.
  20. Gojiria Member

Thank you for giving some straight information, or as much as you can give at this point - they were spinning in circles in genchat a few hours ago on HoF. Literally, as long as the games continue onward, which we know they will, this won't mean much for us, hopefully.
    Now if they come in and fire everyone there and replace them with a bunch of people who don't know WHAT'S going on, we could be in for a wild ride like before... Lets hope this means good things for everyone, including those who've been breaking their back(s) for us over the last however-long-it's-been (Since it doesn't sound like anyone from original crews are around anymore).

Keep your fingers crossed everyone. This could be better for us all...

Merry Everything, stay safe and Covid-free, and hang in there, y'all.