SPRING ROAD TRIP (by Airship) 2020

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Cyrrena, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Soara2, Whilhelmina, Geroblue and 2 others like this.
  2. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Monastery of Stofades
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strofades

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

the massacre of 1537
    [IMG]

https://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2010/08/strofades-monastery-and-massacre-of.html

the Hermit of Strofades Island
    https://greece.greekreporter.com/20...nk-who-lived-alone-on-a-remote-ionian-island/
    [IMG]

The legendary Tower of the Monastery in Strofadia collapsed!

Zakynthos sustained a sequence of very powerful earthquakes around 53 kilometers southwest of the island. The main earthquake was 6.4 of the Richter scale and took place at 1.54 at dawn. The earthquake shook the whole of Western Greece, and it was felt even in Athens.

[IMG]
    lighthouse collapsed :(

Benaki Museum
    [IMG]
  3. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

4. nooz Where is my cat nip err I mean nap!

Lovely places, Schmetterling... nice pictures you took!
    Soara2, Leloes, Schmetterling and 2 others like this.
  5. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Soara2, Whilhelmina, Leloes and 3 others like this.
  6. nooz Where is my cat nip err I mean nap!

I particularly love the sunset/sunrise over the port city its majestic, Schemetterling!
    Soara2, Leloes, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  7. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I am posting this pictures in memory of a virtual reality trip we took lasting 8 months in real time but with time delay and
    time travel it would really have taken years

Shows nooz the virtual reality buffet and the wet bar , here have some refreshments .
    Grabs herself a big plate of Greek cheese and some nuts and fried Octopus.
    And maybe you can come and join us on the next trip .
    Soara2, Leloes and Breanna like this.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Gero gets some cheesy comestibles, some goat butter, and a nice gyro of salami, grapes, lettuce, and fettucine cheese.

And a nice bottle of Ozo, no resin.
  9. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Lefkada:
    Lefkas:

Castle of Agia Maura :

The Castle of Agia Mavra ( Santa Maura) is located on the Lefkada Island besides the Drepanos channel within close to Chora. This magnificent castle was built in the 14th century. It was built by the erstwhile rulers of Sicily with the primary goal of protecting the old town. The castle is surrounded by two lagoons, which are classed among the most significant wetlands in the Greek Islands. According the history, the Frankish knights who conquered the island of Lefkada in 1294, named the castle in the everlasting memory of the country of origin Agia Mavra (Sainte Maure). In the beautiful Mediaeval Castle of Agia Mavra you can see the church of Agia Mavra. The church was built in the 15th century by Helen Palaiologina who built this church in honor of Agia Mavra who protected her once from the storm. For a few years Ottomans occupied the area, and they built a mosque and a bridge inside the walls of the castle. Today, you can see the ruins of the construction of the bridge built by the Turks that connected the castle with the city. Later Venetians took control over the island, and Lefkada became a Venetian province. The Venetians increased the area of the castle, even strengthened its walls. You can still see the main symbol of Venice, the Lion of Saint Mark in many places. Today the castle is open to tourists who visit it in a large number every year and it houses various cultural events during the summer season.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

old Turkish causeway
    [IMG]
  10. nooz Where is my cat nip err I mean nap!

Oh I love a properly handled octopus... delves gently in and partakes in the feast.

Oh the pictures afterwards like many places I seen on the internet all the houses has no roofs on them.. like my stay in Africa in '93.
  11. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Lefkada

Grivas Castle :

this castle guards the other side of the bay entrance to the bay of Lefkada
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Monastery of Panagia Faneromeni :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Llittle zoo
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

this is how you get octopus (or krakens) ready to cook , the Greek way

[IMG]

and after you beat the sh.. out of them you do this to them

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  13. nooz Where is my cat nip err I mean nap!

Oh; photogenic octopus, how novel of you to post that Schemetterling!

I love it!
  14. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

wished I had the ability to reach into a picture and pull stuff out .
    Soara2, Leloes, nooz and 1 other person like this.
  15. nooz Where is my cat nip err I mean nap!

you have the ability.. you visually taking and giving!
  16. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Lefkada :
    Lefkas :
    Wooden Bridge :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

nature took over this abandoned boat it's a floating island now

[IMG]

Phonograph,Radio and Traditional Museum

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Archaeological Muaeum of Lefkada :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Embroideries Folklore Museum Maria Koutsochero :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Soara2, Whilhelmina, Leloes and 3 others like this.
  17. nooz Where is my cat nip err I mean nap!

Oh the yarn loom is wonderful... then again maybe a need a nap after telling tales and avoiding my tail from the chopping block another round to you Schmetterling!
  18. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

o man those pictures disappeared big time this time.
  19. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Lefkas :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefkada_(city)

Hagios Spyridon :
    Built at the end of the 17th century, in the main square of the town. It is single-nave oblong basilica, with a low ceiling, without a dome, with sided entrances, clearly influenced by Venetian architecture.The iconostasis was made by a Zakynthian woodcutter, J. Groppa and the icons by the Cretan (of Venetian descent) Tommaso Gen.

[IMG]

Agioi Anargyroi :
    In the city of Lefkada, in the center of the market is the church of Pantokrator. This is a small church with special value, It is owned by the Valaoritis family. This church stands out from its facade which is in baroque style with many Gothic elements. It was built in 1700 and dedicated to the Pantocrator for the anniversary of its liberation from the Turks.With the great earthquakes of 1869 the church was destroyed and rebuilt after a few years. It was decorated with works by Spyros Ventouras and Dionysios Kalyvokas while at the same time it had the first neoclassical iconostasis in Lefkada.
    Her hagiographies belong to well-known Ionian hagiographers. Behind the sacred step is the tomb of our national poet Aristotle Valaoritis who in his poems sang the struggles of the Nation for Freedom, while inside it are buried other prominent Lefkadians.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Panagia Ion Xenox / the Virgin of Foreigners

In the year 1718, Captain Constantine Varvarigos, with the permission of the Venetian government, rebuilt a small church called "The Most Holy Theotokos the Genesis", in the city of Amaxiki, today's Lefkada.
    On September 3, 1723, he drew up a statute for the operation of the sanctuary, which stated the conditions under which colleagues would be registered in the temple. The colleagues had some obligations, among others, towards the temple such as its maintenance, the pay of the pastor and others. In 1723 it numbered 198 colleague families.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Agios Nikolaos

The church of Agios Nikolaos is located in the city center. It was built in 1687 with the permission of the Venetian authorities, tested by the earthquakes of the 18th and early 19th century and rebuilt in 1830. It was the richest church in the city. It has impressive entrances and windows of distinctive art, in baroque style. His iconostasis is particularly imposing, while the icons are works by Ioannis Roussos from his best and Spyridon Ventouras. Chapels of Agios Nikolaos are Agios Ioannis Antzousis and Panagia Gyra.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

the Church of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary

[IMG]

[IMG]

Frangoulis Destillery

[IMG]

[IMG]

To Loukoumadaki

[IMG]

[IMG][IMG]
    Soara2, Whilhelmina, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  20. nooz Where is my cat nip err I mean nap!

very atoned description of words with those pictures. I can see a string quartet with a snare and bass drum maybe a cymbal or two and oh yes a lute to accompany those pictures, schemettering the desserts do look decadent. thank as I partake in the one with a fork in the picture :).
    Soara2, Geroblue, Breanna and 2 others like this.