Producer's Letter: Expansion 17, Beta and Preorders!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Oct 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clintsat Well-Known Member

All you have to do is the sig line to use your mount.... It's like 4 hours worth of work your first time.
    Dude likes this.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

For me, taking away flying felt completely artificial. 'Gravity is too light' so, obviously, you.... can't??? fly.
    The devs wanted to make the content harder so they added an artificial speed bump.. one that took away a perk we've had for years...
    Quillyne and Breanna like this.
  3. Dude Well-Known Member

It's not like it's new. It happened in AoM and in the Withered Lands, too.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

You may be confusing EQ2 with WoW. As Clintsat pointed out, you can fly once you get through the BoL sig line.
  5. Almee Well-Known Member

If only it was that easy. Many of us started playing when we were already seniors. Fifteen years later, I'm over the hill and around the bend. I simply can't track all the mobs that attack at once in the BoL dungeons. If a characters has a number of AOEs, it isn't as much of a problem but it is a big problem for those that don't or have ones that are slow to recast.

My main characters are healers, crafters, and decorators--not fighters. I can do overland stuff just fine but I can't read dungeon scripts and fight at the same time. I got help, for the first sig dungeon, but the person helping skipped over a step so I had to do it all again with someone else helping. It took about 4 hours for just the first dungeon for 2 characters and I hated every minute of it. I play to have fun--not to get so stressed out I want to quit the game.

And I'm hardly alone in this. A good number of players are old or physically challenged in some way, or both, which makes scripted dungeons a PITA. It normally isn't a problem as we just don't finish the sig line and do without the fancy weapon or gear it rewards. But this time it was the ability to fly and that changed everything so players quit right and left. I didn't quit completely but I stopped my subs, on all but two accounts, and stopped playing for months except to occasionally log in to level mounts, mercs, and spells.

It would have stayed that way but someone suggested making new characters and just playing in the older areas so that's what I've been doing. If we still aren't able to fly, in the coming xpac, I'll just skip it and continue playing in the older areas. My opinion is that if DP doesn't want my money for subs, Collector's and Premium Editions I will be happy to put that money to use doing something I enjoy.
  6. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Have you tried asking for someone to flatten those zones for you? Are you on Thurgadin? If you are, send me a tell and I'll have you through your sig line in an hour or so, depending if you can follow fast enough :p

I've done this for a few random people when I've been bored. I'd be surprised if nobody at all would be willing to effectively let you tag along for some solo zones.
    Schmetterling, Almee and Dude like this.
  7. Dude Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm not sure what you think you're missing in BoL. Other than three sort of small overland zones, it's all scripted dungeons. If you're not interested in those, then you're really not missing out.
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Almee Well-Known Member

I haven't tried on Thurgadin yet as I just started playing on the server, again, a few months ago. I have over a dozen 120s on Thurgadin but I usually play in the wee hours of the morning EU time though I guess it is closer to 9am EU time right now. The only two classes I would care that much about would be a 110 carpenter and sage. I'll see if I can't get the city quests done up to the dungeons and perhaps get in touch with you about the dungeon part.
  9. Noctew Active Member

Not necessarily harder, but I understand they wanted to work themselves out of a design pit they're in. Ever since Smokejumper wanted flying as a feature for DoV, Design has been limited in what they can do. WIth flying enabled, there are no more difficult to reach places (either by sneaking or fighting) you have to work your way to unless they are in caves or dungeons. Ever since they have been working with compromises. In some expansions they decided to "go with it" and keep lfying on, in some they are initially disabling it so they can have that type of quests that require going somewhere that's not that easy to reach.

I think I remember Kander saying that flying was one design decision he wishes they'd be able to undo.
    Schmetterling and Dude like this.
  10. Remma New Member

The tradeskill timeline also allows flying as a final reward and the XP on it is crazy, only takes a couple hours to run through
    Schmetterling likes this.
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

AoM was in a small area until you completed a small number of quests.
    Withered Lands you COULD fly, you just had to watch out for the dragon and land or evade if she got to close (before you finished the required quests)
    In both those examples a) there was a reason that actually made sense and b) neither required completing an entire sig line to remove the 'handicap'.
    Also, I shouldn't have said 'hard' so much as 'take longer'.
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Optimist Member

I am all for the new race! I am curious how will the Vah Shir (which I miss from EQ) differ from Kerra?
    QToonz likes this.
  13. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

For starters, they're based off a different skeletal model than the Kerrans, so they won't visually look like Kerrans (see the screenshot)

Grieg Veneficus was given a very brief mention by the starting NPCs at the wizard spires in the Blinding, which represented the area of Mons Letalis from the first game. Grieg's End was a dungeon that connected between Dawnshroud Peaks and the Scarlet Desert, which is now the Aurelian Coast and the Wracklands. I suppose if they had more development time, they could add it back in sometime in the future.

IF we even have flying for this expansion. As already discussed, there's been talk about taking away flying again in order to let them design better zones. It would be extremely interesting to hear what the official lore reason would be that players went through hours of work to adjust to Luclin's gravity on the light side of the moon but suddenly won't be allowed to fly for the dark half.
    Breanna likes this.
  14. Elskidorr Active Member

Totally worth it if true. Good zones over flying any day.
  15. Romulus Member

You can also fly if you do the TS line, not just the sig line, as that might be more familiar to you with all your crafters.. I managed to do the TS line with a lv 88 toon, so it's very doable
  16. Almee Well-Known Member

It is the ability to fly that has kept me playing all these years despite terrible game design, lag, and more bugs than a flop house. As for sneaking or fighting, to reach an area, that went out with the dodo. I can't remember when I could sneak anywhere, post AoM, without being seen by mobs. And having to fight the same mobs over and over again, to get from point A to point B is one reason I haven't finished the tradeskill sig line in BoL. I guess it is ok if you don't have a real life, but it sucks if you do have a life outside the game.

Flying allows me to see the graphics from all angles and it is amazing. Sometimes I park my mount in the sky and just enjoy looking down at the scenery below me. I can't do that in BoL because: a) the insect flies too fast; b) you only get to see select scenery rather than all the scenery; and c) the body and wings on the insect block much of the view and are distracting.

Removing flying takes away one of the very best features of the game and just sends players to games where they can fly. I can't stop DP from removing flying but I sure as heck am not going to support them, with my money, if I can't fly.
  17. Bludd Well-Known Member

but you can fly after doing either ts or adv sig line. now i wish that unlock was account-wide
    Breanna likes this.
  18. Louly Well-Known Member

I've never seen a Vah Shir. I've played a bit of EQ but I have a hard time on the adding skills. Sit down - hmm now what lol
    Anyway will there be a starter zone for the new race? I'm hoping so - or at least a quest to come to Norrath. :) Be hard to drop out of the sky so to speak :D

I'm looking forward to the expansion and I am hoping for a starter zone or a starter story.
  19. Raff Well-Known Member

Well...who knows at this point? The AA revamp may free ups some spellbars. I sure hope so...I'm using all of them currently on my healers w/ ascension skills.

On the AA revamp? Peeps been screaming for that here for years. Well, now ya got it. But I'm betting some will not like it.

Incoming massive whine-fest...grab yer popcorn and watch it all here in these forums, lol.
    Schmetterling, Breanna and PopeSaly like this.
  20. Raff Well-Known Member

I don't think they can add any more hot bars. They've said that in the past. What will likely happen is they will free up some cells with the AA Re-vamp...hopefully.
    Amoon and Breanna like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.