Necromancer - Unused Spells

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Phellen, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Phellen Member

Trying to clean up my hot bars. Any of you experienced Necro's out there have any suggestions on spells that just do not get used (if any)? Suggestions are appreciated, like I find i never cast Bats or the Vampire Orb, am I missing out on some dps not using those? Or if you have hotbar setups would love to see em.
  2. Nazy Well-Known Member

I know Vampire Bats is one to NEVER use.
    Exotwo likes this.
  3. Breanna Well-Known Member

Vampire Bats is for Vampire's not necro's
    Exotwo and Nazy like this.
  4. Twisty Well-Known Member

both bats and vampirism are usable in raids with optimal rotation. both not great, so if you take them off ur hotbar you're not missing much

and if you're a casual player you'll have no use for them. however, at about 1.30m into a single-target fight there will be holes in your optimal rotation where you'll want to cast bats

vampirism is fine for 3+ mobs if you're not an etherialist or feedback is on cooldown
    Exotwo and Argosunited like this.
  5. Argosunited Well-Known Member

Take Fear off your hotbar for sure.
    Exotwo and Breanna like this.
  6. Melt Actually plays the game

You can immediately get rid of Grasping Bones, too. Useless spell.
    Exotwo, Nazy and Breanna like this.
  7. Nazy Well-Known Member

But then you miss the funny animation when the mob is running to kill you in a cage thingy!
    Exotwo likes this.
  8. Raff Well-Known Member

Does anyone use the limited pets spells? I have them on my spellbar, but never use them...am I missing something dps-wise? Same for root type spells....never use those either. Mobs are usually dead or fighting with my pet before rooting needed.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

If you pull too many mobs, you can root one, throw nukes at another, go back and root hte first one and so forth.

Also, all mages can use root-and0nuke on a single mob, where you root it, nuke it, back up a step or two, re-root, nuke again, etc.
  10. Raff Well-Known Member

I've found with Necros, if you pull too many mobs, best thing to do is try to kill them all quick. Casting speed at lower levels is an issue. In the time it takes to root 1 mob, you could be using a dps or aoe. The pet can usually keep the mobs busy enough. On other mage classes though..I use the roots quite a bit.
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

With a pet class, it's more a tactic for a single boss mob. You want to keep it off you and simultaneously not eat the pet.
  12. Clintsat Well-Known Member

The limited pets are some of your highest damage abilities.
  13. Raff Well-Known Member

I'll take another look at them then. Thanks.
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

A few expansions back, swarm pets kinda sucked, then the team finally got around to beefing them up, and they became extremely useful, which I experienced directly on my Conjuror.

I'm raiding on a warlock now, which means I have the swarm pets Netherlord, Acid Storm, and the occasional proc of a set of Dark Broodlings, none of which seem to do significant damage. I cast them when more useful spells are down in hopes they might proc something more helpful.
  15. Falbal New Member

Definitely not. It is one of the spells that will heal your pet 18% if you have Tainted Heals.
  16. Twisty Well-Known Member

maybe below level 20 and only if you're trying to solo at-level heroic zones. otherwise no you dont need fear to heal your pet, there are way better options.
    Argosunited likes this.
  17. Twisty Well-Known Member

are we talking snakes from Syphoning Souls? or like Blighted Horde?
  18. Twisty Well-Known Member

Root-splitting on a necro has not been a thing for 10+ years since Kunark days where soloing heroics and raids at-level for profit took some serious skill. You can take root of your hotbars
  19. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Rooting would be one of those things I'd only suggest at lower levels, generally. Though I do root things sometimes.
  20. Scrappyz Well-Known Member

Pet heals itself anyway, don't necessarily need tainted heals. Maybe once in a while I'll use the pet heal but not very often do I have to keep an eye on pet's health