What is your favorite expansion?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Elskidorr, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Elskidorr Active Member

There is little discussion on these forums so I figured I would start one. Which expansion is your favorite? You can state why if you want but I'm curious.
  2. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Chaos Descending.

Original visuals and storyline. Fair balance for casual and hardcore players.

It brought players back. Kept the critics quiet for a whole year.
    Elskidor! likes this.
  3. Breanna Well-Known Member

I forget the name of it but I liked the one with Sundered Frontier and Stonebrunt probably the best. Either that one or Phantem Sea, it's about a tie.
    Elskidor! likes this.
  4. Elskidorr Active Member

Sentinel's Fate. That's a favorite of mine too. I left not long after DoV so I missed out on many of the ones that came afterward when they were current, but Alter of Malice has some nice zones.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

None of them have been as good as what we got at launch. What we got at launch was huge, required exploration and progression, and quests were central to everything. Raids were interesting, but weren't the main focus. Everything since then has been increasingly smaller and more raid focused.
    Uguv, Frostfang, NrthnStar5 and 2 others like this.
  6. Melt Actually plays the game

I mean, Kunark. Just about everyone who played at that time loved Kunark. For the less obvious answer, DoV. Loved Drunder, Rime, the zones were huge, flying was cool in the beginning, etc.
    NrthnStar5, Vulnere and Breanna like this.
  7. Gharyn Well-Known Member

Kunark, without question. The most content of any expansion. Huge outdoor zones that weren't mostly air or water like later expansions. The most quests ever. The first epic weapons and tradeskill epic. Interesting dungeons and nothing recycled from previous expansions.

Kunark was not mostly finished in less than a week unlike the last few expansions.
    Uguv and NrthnStar5 like this.
  8. Fangrim Active Member

Have to agree with Dude here,although not an expansion launch was great with loads of content.When I first played I was always on the Qeynos side,I think it was 6 months before I even knew of the Enchanted Lands :) I guess my favourite expansion was Tears of Veeshan- Altar of Malice.Mainly because I was in a guild where I grouped a lot I guess but we weren't HC and it was fun building up gear to advance.
    I played on AB at that time period and it was packed, I had many dps alts and could do the weekly on them all on the first day in pugs,was great back then! Luck,Angellique,Trakum,Sanadora and me Hagudrak (Thanos was my name but it was taken when I transferred from Splitpaw!) (with one random usually) was the group, fun times.
    Dude and Breanna like this.
  9. Cravaro Active Member

Echoes of Faydwer was awesome. There was content for every level, new starter areas, massive zones, very cool raids (MIS, Freethinkers, Emerald Halls, Clockwork), fun instances (CoV, OoB, Meldrath, Acadechism). There were quests associated with every heroic zone and very deep Lore. Oh and Vampires! We spent many hours in Castle Mistmoore working strategies to clear all the rooms and ring events. Such classic encounters and very unique. There was New Tunaria which was sorta desolate but still had a lot of quests and very awesome visuals. There was Loping Planes and Werewolves! Huge zones like Greater and Lesser Fay, Butcherblock and Steamfont. Not 1, not 2 but 6 (or more) Heritage Quests and multiple Signature Quests. There was Kaladim and Catacombs. At level 20 you can do Crushbone Keep which was contested and then do D'Vinns. There simply was so much stuff to do. For me this was by far the best expac and the most content for every level at the time.
    NrthnStar5, Lateana and Breanna like this.
  10. Almee Well-Known Member

EoF is awesome. There is so much to do I have to keep making new characters to do quests I missed the first 50 times around lol. Didn't care much for ToT, RoK, CD, and least favorite--BoL. Still enjoy PoM, except for crafting. The prequel quests, and not flying, killed BoL for me so I pretty much pretend like it doesn't exist anymore. And the shadow nodes--yuck! Loved the city graphics though.
    NrthnStar5 likes this.
  11. Raff Well-Known Member

Can't really say which single expac I liked best. It was all very new at the time we were playing, so it was all good then. Looking back though & comparing xpacs? The xpacs I didn't care for...EoF, ToV, AoM. I loved Butcherblock & Kaladim though.

SF, DoV, CoE & ToT would be my all time favorites. The remaining xpacs were okay, but not faves.
  12. Vulnere Active Member

Ditto on Kunark.
  13. Tkia Well-Known Member

Kunark by a very long way. Huge overland zones and shedloads of quests giving plenty to see, plenty to do and everything was fun. Factions you can work at if you want to without overly alienating yourself with others like DOF. And integrated book collections which gave quests which rewarded languages. More of that please! When I level alts there are many zones that I might skip along the way but never the Kunark ones. If I level too fast I'll even switch off XP and mentor down to go back and take my time going through Kunark zones. I even enjoyed group and raid zones in that expac.

Second favourite would be EOF. Also huge overland zones and plenty to do ACROSS ALL LEVEL RANGES. See? Back in the day even this company knew how to produce all inclusive content.

Runners up would be SF and DoV. Both smaller but still full of interesting and fun content, The rest? Bouncing between flying islands, meh. Claustrophobic underground caverns, meh. Zones full of flying **** that's never visible until it lands on your head, meh. Druids like to see the sky without actually wallowing in it ...
    NrthnStar5 likes this.
  14. Obano Well-Known Member

Kunark for sure. Loads of content. Leveling that took days instead of minutes. Huge zones, hundreds of quests, contested dungeons, Tiered raiding for both casuals and hard core play styles. Epic weapons where everyone eventually got their mythical. Best expack for high level open world PvP if you were into red servers.

Honorable mentions:
    - Sentinels Fate: best in class balance, some of the most fun raids ever put in the game such as 4 rune Theer. Battlegrounds were fun.

- EoF for its expansion of mid level content and beautiful zone artwork. Kelethin and New Tunaria have always been stunning zones. Introduced Avatar contested raids for the first time.

- TSO, cool heroic content and raids.
    Frostfang, parissa and Breanna like this.
  15. Miroh Well-Known Member

Deserts of Flame!!! Said no one ever.

Kingdom of Sky was my favorite and probably the all around balanced the game ever was and way before they started screwing with the stats. I loved the 3 Princes Fight. But yeah, the expansion was a lot of fun. Almost as fun as when the game launched.
  16. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

RoK holds a place in my heart as there was no better feeling than getting your mythical for the first time. But my favorites are probably TSO and SF for no other reason than those were by far the expacs I spent the most time playing in, and I made some great friends during that time. I was out of work at the time, so I spent 10+ hours a day running heroics and raiding. I didn't play pre-RoK, so maybe I am biased. DoF is definitely my least favorite.
  17. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

EoF and the game at launch for all the reasons stated above.
  18. Argosunited Well-Known Member

Sentinel's Fate and Rise of Kunark. TSO comes a close third.
  19. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Rise of Kunark, hands down. Nothing beats classic though. The actual game we had in the beginning, not the TLE imitation.
    Uguv likes this.
  20. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

DoF had A LOT of potential that it never quite tapped into completely.