Is there a way to 3d print my character?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Griffon Lady, May 27, 2020.

1. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

I've been wondering since WOW had their printable characters if it would be possible to print my EQ2 toon I've had since 2004. I was hoping back when it was still SOE that SONY would toss over some 3d printers and make it a SOE service (maybe a dev would have made a "3d snapshot" program that just takes the exposed surfaces and melds the pieces where they touch. They'd sell us a token to DL the file or for an additional fee, the company would print it? I dunno.)
    That idea got poopooed when SONY sold SOE, but the 3d snapshot could still be a thing. /shrug

Annnnd if no one wants to open that possibility for income to support the game, any one know how I could do it myself? I could sit here and sculpt it, but I'm terribly curious about 3d printing. XD I bet it's a pain in the keister for a not-entirely-tech-savvy person like me...
  2. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

And if any devs are working on something like that, would it be possible to emote and pause for the 3d screenshot, possibly chose a base shape and size in the screenshot? Maybe a shape choice, then it pulls out from the chosen center? For example, the front steps of one of the castles. Maybe a vertical selection tool as well if we want the doors behind the character? The two would be required to intersect a certain amount for printing purposes, but they would be optional in case someone wanted to hang a flying fae in their room or something like that.
    Would also be pretty cool to get 3d prints of the dragons and other creatures. Not sure how, since a dragon would be very unlikely to cooperate and pose. >.>
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  3. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

We tried to get this to work years ago. Unfortunately your in-game character doesn't exist as a 3D model outside of the game, it's put together with exported assets. It would require someone to piece together all of your assets and create that 3D model.
  4. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

So you're saying...... it's possible?

I offer a plate of tatertots, with toppings of your choice!

If I could get you access to @Dreamweaver's office undisturbed for an hour or so, I'd do that to - but social distancing and all. ;)
  5. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

It's possible and so is me living on Mars in this lifetime.
  6. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

The amount of work involved in creating a single character makes it highly unlikely.
  7. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Unlikely, yes - but possible (however infinitesimally a chance), given enough resources. I'll be honest, my first thought was "what about the characters that have like 50-eleven different appearance outfits?!" :D

Fair warning: If I hit the lotto, I'd like to commission you and Thomas King to do models of my EQ1 and EQ2 characters. Oh, and I'll still throw in the tatertots. ;)

*makes note to send an "Occupy Mars" t-shirt to DPG offices, c/o ttobey*
  8. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

We met with the company that did the WoW 3d printed characters maybe six years ago.They couldn't figure out a way to make it work.
  9. Breanna Well-Known Member

You're moving to Mars? Now that is what I call social distancing.
    Levatino, Lateana, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  10. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

honestly if you had another program to design items in, you could create a model that looks like your character without using the eq2 stuff, if you can draw well enough to simulate it
  11. Katzandra Well-Known Member

Can we get the game working first?
  12. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Ahahahahahaha! No seriously, You are a real comedian! hahahaha! Good one! Posting that the game doesn't work in a thread about printing 3D models? That is really smart comedy!!
  13. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Zing you got me there! Let me throw out my 25 years animating monsters, and I will quick go get a computer engineering degree. I'll be back in a few years and help you out!
  14. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

I think Pluralsight is still having a 30% off sale! :D
  15. Albanara Active Member

I think for the whole month of April, they were giving access to most or all of their vids for free, to help with the stay at home awfulness. I took advantage of that for Azure cloud training and brush up on some 3d modeling, texturing,etc.
    Wouldnt be surprised if we have another misstep with the phased openings across the country, that more free months or deep discounts happen on more sites.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  16. Obano Well-Known Member

Software to do that already exists. It is called the 3D ripper DX.
  17. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Oh Ok. Then you are good to go!
  18. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

You might have a problem separating the character from the rest of the geometry it's going to grab.
  19. Svenone Well-Known Member

"We met with the company that did the WoW 3d printed characters maybe six years ago.They couldn't figure out a way to make it work."....time and technology flows on....might be time for another look-see. HeroForge has recently upgraded their technology to include color, and it seems they are always adding more options. Not sure if they could make exact copies of our characters, but it may be worth another look. They do have rat-folk (ratonga), cat-folk (kerra), and the more common fantasy human/elf/gnome, etc.
  20. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

I just was looking at the HeroForge page, the way they do it would require a lot of work for a player character. You have no idea how many thousands of models it would take to make it work on one player let alone the 37 different body types we have. I could see it working for an npc like Rallos Zek though.