Database Migration Downtime Notification

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Bludd Well-Known Member

so db migration is done and next round will be even quicker? :)
    Cassta and Cyrrena like this.
  2. Playz4fun Active Member

Servers are back up, earlier than anticipated. Thank you for under promising and over delivering!
    The new launcher looks great and HOORAY for the harvestable levels again.

You all rock!
    Cassta, Cyrrena and Prox like this.
  3. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

The downtime for round 2 is still at that estimation.
    Cassta, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  4. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Huh. Remember when you first learned about servers, and they told you to "Hope for the best, but plan for the worst?" Let alone padding your estimate by 10-15% for when (not if) the unexpected happens?

Servers are back up, and it sure got quiet all of a sudden.

@Dreamweaver thanks for keeping us updated, and pouring oil on the choppy waters through part 1 of the migration.

To those that absolutely HAVE to shove the Norrath Needle in your arm - the Test Server will be up during both downtime windows, come on over and check it out!
    Cassta, Cyrrena, draidean and 2 others like this.
  5. Bludd Well-Known Member

i see what you did there
    Cassta, Cyrrena and draidean like this.
  6. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    Cassta, Cyrrena, draidean and 3 others like this.
  7. Kattarama New Member

As a player of 16 years, I appreciate all the updates you folks attempt and do. So if it takes a 24 hour shutdown to keep the game better, so be it. Keep up the good work at making Norrath better.
  8. Piratelordcarroll New Member

sorry was playing heroes of the storm, instead of everquest, heroes of the storm makes me grumpy haha.
  9. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

there used to be times it took to simply put in a new expansion , if this fixes all those problems we had for the last months , it's well worth it .
    And you all can still play ON THE PUBLIC TEST SERVER if you get desperate .
    Cassta, Cyrrena, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  10. Ingerimm Well-Known Member

I see you like comparing apples to pears.

But let's take you beloved car example.

If you disassemble your 15 year old car and remove all rust completely down to the last screw, clean and grease every part. Remove the paint from the painted parts and repaint and then replace any defective parts. And now screw your beloved old car back together, with all functional tests without a single screw being lost or left over.

Then we are into something that DB migration can mean. And I think you need far more than 8 hours as you specified, even more than 24 hours. And your car doesn't even have a fraction of the parts compared to the amount of data in the EQ2 databases.

So it makes little sense to compare apples with pears and to think that should mean the same effort.
  11. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

It's back , let's see if I have tentacles
    It did not even take 24 hours.

O NO I GOT"S FANGS . . . . cool .
    Cassta, Cyrrena, draidean and 2 others like this.
  12. Prox Well-Known Member

Tell everyone "Well Done" , nothing like knocking it out in record time !!
    Cassta, Cyrrena, draidean and 3 others like this.
  13. draidean Well-Known Member

Faster than changing that alternator *giggles*
  14. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

How much time, and when will this be announced? I am 2 short of finishing the achievement for the house on Skyfire. It would be nice if it could be finished this year, as me and my family spend so many days doing it. Those mobs in there have insanely high amounts of health and it takes hours and hours to take them out. :(
    Cassta likes this.
  15. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

From Dreamweaver:

16. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Thanks!!!
    Cassta and Rosyposy like this.
  17. kridder New Member

i there is down time and all but i just login to see if it might be up and all my toons are gone. could that be they are being moved right now or are they gone for good?
    Cassta likes this.
  18. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

It's due to the database migration.
    Breanna, Cassta and Cyrrena like this.
  19. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

Hey, in the 70's I had a Mustang II with a German motor To change the starter I had to uncouple one engine mount, and jack the motor up to get clearance to slide the starter past frame components.

Sometimes simple things aren't so simple.
    Cassta, Rosyposy and Cyrrena like this.
  20. kridder New Member

ok ty i was getting scared lol
    Cassta likes this.