Please reconsider the decision about harvests.

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Kalika, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Maybe it is time to give us a second and larger invisible harvesting bag, so we can hold a stack of 800 of every single harvestable mat in the game including the holiday materials??? And while we are at it, we will also need a very large invisible fuel bag to hold a full stack of every single fuel in the game.
  2. Avithax Well-Known Member

The funny thing is the Ferenghi at Darkpaw havent noticed yet that the most profitable MMO's all sell extra bank slots, bag slots and expanders in their cash stores.
    Juraiya, That guy., Rosyposy and 2 others like this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

I'm still curious what 'problems' were caused by having 'inaccurate' level information on some harvestables that is solved by having NO level information on ANY harvestables
  4. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

THAT appears to be the million dollar question. Obviously it has a Trillion dollar answer or we would have gotten one by now.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I am wondering that myself Mermut and am fielding that same question from my guild members on two servers on a daily basis as well as their complaints about it.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Bet ya a nickel that it was easier to run a script to blank out that field in the database than it was to identify which harvests were CD and this should be marked 111.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I also suspect that even if they wish now to put them back, no one knows what things are what levels. Hey, devs, if this is the case, the fan sites have it for you!
    • The node names and the materials harvested from each are available on the wiki at Harvestables.
    • The tiers of the various zones and which zones have what tiers is on the wiki Harvesting Timeline.
    • The same information is available at Niami's EQ2 Trader's Corner.
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

In theory, they have backups where they can retrieve the information from without having to hand enter everything.
  9. Marae Well-Known Member

I am also waiting, ever more impatiently, for an answer to this trillion dollar question. It's not so much even that I want them to justify the move (although it could go a long way towards smoothing ruffled feathers if they actually did) - I'm just darned CURIOUS!!!!

Devs???
  10. That guy. Well-Known Member

Are you willing to trust that theory?
  11. Audrel Member

Yes, but to go to a backup, they would have to use that backup and change everything that has been changed since then. I doubt seriously they have the wherewithall to just extract that piece of information on crafting materials. And it is even more doubtful they would know how to restore the levels manually. We are stuck where we are because someone in all their infinite wisdom thought removing crafting levels from crafting materials would be a brilliant idea.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

There has been a small army of volunteers offering to do the grunt work for them. All they would have to do is have an "overseer" verify and insert it.
  13. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Hokay. I put up 10 each of two volumes on the Maj'Dul broker, priced at 1g:
    • Harvester's Handbook: A Handy Reference to Resources
      Lists tier, crafting level, minimum rare harvesting skill, names of what materials come from which nodes, and notes the rares
    • Harvester's Handbook: Where Do I Find What?
      Lists tier, crafting level, and the zones in which you will find those harvests. Also has a list of imbue material names and spellshard/foundation names.
    For those who prefer, placed the text for each in a TXT file, zipped the two files, and you can download them from my Dropbox. All you need then is a pair of player-crafted notebooks.
  14. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I downloaded them and have them in text. Thanks !
  15. Argosunited Well-Known Member

Thank you very much! Much appreciated.
  16. Ixian Active Member

Behind the scenes, each item in EQ2 is a file, not an entity in a database. Assuming there were no other changes to the harvesting items since the tier information was removed, they would "just" (just in quotes since sometimes life throws you curveballs :p) have to revert those items to the previous version.
  17. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I am dubious. Have you worked on the dev team to know this?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.
  18. Tkia Well-Known Member

Many things in eq2 exist as files in the background. We've been told this multiple times by various devs over the years. But regardless of whether the data is in files or database entries the basic procedure remains the same:
    Restore backup into corner.
    Identify and isolate the specific data that you need.
    Copy back to live.
    Enjoy gratitude of happy customers.
  19. Geroblue Well-Known Member

It would depend on how their backups work.

Some systems I have worked with, a backup was all files placed back on the original system.

Other systems you could choose a folder, and just that was replaced.

Fewer still, you could restore individual files.
  20. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

Really? File based?!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.