Whats the deal with botting/boxing?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Mingle, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Mingle Member

Is it legal or not legal?

It's getting quite out of hand... and ruining the gaming experience in many cases. I thought this was supposed to be monitored and not allowed ?

What is the protocol for approaching this?

Mingle / Sephrok
    <Rel In Por>
  2. Ragna Well-Known Member

You're talking about 2 different things there : Boxing and Botting.

- Botting (using softwares that automate your character's actions) is illegal and will get you banned if caught.
    - Boxing (using more than 1 account at the same time) is 100 % legal in EQ2 (as long as you're not "botting" your toon army ;) )
  3. Seth Well-Known Member

right okay so boxing will NOT get you banned.
    Botting will NOT get you banned because DBG are greedy and want those subs.
    Argosunited likes this.
  4. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I don't know about not getting banned for botting
    well at least in the past it has happened , I don't mind those bot groups , as long as they don't steal peoples mobs ,but that's true for anybody , camping bosses with them I am not happy about .
    Bobthebuilder89 and Breanna like this.
  5. Kalika Well-Known Member

Content is so trivial that i have more fun duoing it the hard way (doing alt tab), i don' t even have 2 screens.

I may install ixboxer but i m not isure that it is allowed, isboxer does not automated anything, it just allows you to control several toons from a single interface.

People 6 boxing is another story. .
  6. Ratface Member

Alt-tabbing won't get you banned, but frankly anything over 2 characters is pain. Transmitting keystrokes will get you banned, so I would suggest not using a single interface for controlling several toons. Iirc EQ1 is a bit more relaxed about using keystroke transmitting.

Honestly doubt anyone would be too worried if you kept it to instances.
  7. Somedude Active Member

Raise a petition, and be clear how the offender was impacting your gaming experience. They may or may not take action on a single report, but if it's happening multiple times to multiple players, they do take action.

Be specific how it is ruining your experience.
    Bobthebuilder89 and Feldon like this.
  8. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

Botting is allowed, plain and simple. Technically if you have to ask, the answer is no... but the results speak for itself. The way you deal with it is to play around them.
    Feldon likes this.
  9. Somedude Active Member

I agree, but my point is they take action against bad apples be they botters or not. If your gameplay is being ruined by someone including a bot team, petition with the details and repeat offenders will be delt with.
    Bobthebuilder89 likes this.
  10. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

They aren't really doing anything disruptive to gameplay besides just being there, contesting loot and adding to the 75+ people in the zone. Simple band aid is to spawn additional instances.

As long as one does not piss off multiple players enough to get petitioned multiple times, botting is allowed.
    Schmetterling likes this.
  11. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

I will also add I've seen far worse gamesmanship from "regular" players. Everything from trying to rip aggro and leash named mobs from other groups, to training piles of trash onto other multiple groups and wiping everyone in the area. I wish people would remember this is 15 year old feel good nostalgic content in a cooperative game, and not Fortnite.
  12. Somedude Active Member

I agree, the most egregious behavior I've seen in CMM is from a small handful of brawlers. Including training raids at Contested Mayong.

I've not really seen any issues in any other zone. So I agree, spawning another instance at around 30-40 players would alleviate most of the problems.
    Bobthebuilder89 and Kittik like this.
  13. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

at times people only have 2 options , when the population goes way down at the end of an expansion , either don't get quests done , or box .
    boxed groups or bots are just another group and only one person to deal with , most of those fake group leaders are reasonable and if you ask to kill this boss for a quest , or because you want a turn , they often enough will let you at it .
    Bobthebuilder89, Breanna and Somedude like this.
  14. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

there are 3 groups like that in one of my guilds and the real persons behind every group are really nice guys who will help you without to much asking . One of them has 6 computers or laptops sitting around him like a control center in a guards station .
    others have a little more help by programs , but all 3 are descent people .
    Bobthebuilder89 and Breanna like this.
  15. Shady1 Member

It's not hard to 6 box if you invest the thought, time and bit of money into it! This game is old so computers don't need to be all that beefy, if you're lucky you can get some mini's for super cheap, maybe from your work (like I did) that only take up about a square foot of space in total.

Then you get a kvm hard switch that you can switch monitors for when you need to, although you can also use software to do that as well.

Finally order 5 of those usb 6 button keypads and map them to your hotkeys..

Take a popsicle stick and tape all the 1 2 3 4 5 6 keys together to all 5 pads.

With one press you can send commands to all 5 computers without worrying about getting banned even in highly moderated active games like WoW classic! You just have to set up the macro's properly for this to be viable, which is very easy in eq2.

Only problem is proving it to the company, if they do decide to ban you, which I mean, isn't hard. It's a couple pictures. They see you built a crazy Goonies level device like that and they will probably commend you and just tell you to not be an a-hole.

To be honest though I've seen much worse attitude of players solo/grouped than the box guys. Box guys will invite you to let you get an update for quest etc. Won't come in and blatantly jack the boss you just cleared the room to get, but usually just move on somewhere else, unlike groups filled with players who tend to cry wolf about "game experience" when they are the ones out stealing mobs and doing rude things ruining the game experience themselves. Then proceed to talk smack in general chat or shout.

It's honestly no wonder why people prefer to box with a community that acts like that consistently.
  16. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

On Nagafen the developers ran a script that flagged every account that logged onto the server using innerspace and a myriad of other programs.

The technology is there to quickly ban every bot on this server within a matter of days.

The problem is the 1k+ accounts they would lose. I know for a fact that at least 1k accounts would be going byebye, not only because of the fact that botters are running groups/raids, but also players who let botters use their accounts in some situations. Much like I have in the past.

I'm all for botting.

If you take bots out of this server there goes your entire adornment market, harvesting mats, experts, tinker items, repair kits, arrows etc. Any crafted item on this server is being strictly funneled into the economy from bots. Even if a player tries to make it into the market as a casual, the botter will just undercut them or just buy the item to keep the price high and move on with their 100's of kronos.

Regarding bots in contested zones, i'm not as lenient towards that behavior for a few reasons. Contested's are a situation in which it's absolutely stupid to go into with a bot group, as it's incredibly easy to get banned; and you're essentially just asking to get continuously griefed like players like me. It's also kind of a unspoken rule at least by botters in the past, you just don't do it.

I don't think it's a wise decision to ban all bots, if DBG decides to pull the plug on those botters who are in contested zones I feel as if that's a fair and warranted response. If the bots persist just train them. Most people suck at it, and bots auto cast aoes in a multi target situation due to the cast stack. Run in with a ton of mobs, stand on top of them and chain wipe them. I promise they will leave the zone.

Why? Not only because of the fear of being banned but because it's a serious dick move. These new botters on Kaladim are incredibly bold, I didn't really see this behavior on Fallen Gate until later on. It's also good to note that the reason botters are in contesteds is because botting raids at the moment is pointless when you can grind out AA's, get best in slot gear, and have less of a headache of botting EoF raid zones.

Regarding training and running names off, welcome to contesteds. Welcome to 2004. Nice to introduce you to the world of Everquest 2 and contested zones in general. If you have a problem with this just wait until the other group leaves.\
    Hi, i'm a "regular" player. I do this because it's Everquest 2 and this is how contesteds are handled in a game like this.
    Schmetterling likes this.
  17. Tobias Fünke Member

Everyone has their own rules.

If you're in the middle of a ring event, I won't steal the boss at the end of it.

If it's just a boss that's up, if I can tag it before you, it's mine, even if you're closer to it.

If you get the boss I won't train you or try to leash it because we're all like 30-40 years old at this point and it hurts to be that lame.
  18. Somedude Active Member

tldr;
    you reap what you sow

regardless if you are playing one account or 6 accounts.
  19. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

Hi, this is Everquest 2 and the mobs respawn in like 10 minutes. Settle down and don't be such a toxic memelord.
    Bekkr, Dude and Somedude like this.
  20. Reptoid Member

Quite simply go to Castle Mistmoore and you will see their stance on botting. At any given time, there is at least 4-8 FULL bot groups in that zone. A few days ago there were over 80 people in zone. Granted a fair few were not botters but the vast majority were. It hasn't ever been this big of a problem because they would just be inside of instances so you never saw them.