Will There Ever Be an Everquest III?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Khulda The Rat, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Deckerd Smeckerd Active Member

If they are making enough money to keep making games and working on the current ones without layoffs, it is very successful.
  2. Kittik Well-Known Member

Link??
  3. Uaeladen New Member

4. Inyuyasha Member

Not officially it was just speculation... but I am sure they are working on something
    Siren and Cyrrena like this.
  5. Raff Well-Known Member

If they are I hope they ditch the cartoon style characters. That would be the single thing that would drive me away from EQ3.
    Siren, Cyrrena and Rhodris like this.
  6. Inyuyasha Member

Whatever they do I hope that they use a game engine that has large active community development base so that they can grow with the times. EQ2 as good as it is would be so much better if they could update the engine to handle the new hardware that is available.
    Siren, Cyrrena and Geroblue like this.
  7. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

If they ever start the development of a new Everquest MMO for PC I hope to god they get some fresh blood with some original ideas. I dont think it will happen though and I think people on everquest forums overvalue the Everquest brand in 2020.
    Mizgamer62, Kheldar, Siren and 3 others like this.
  8. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

I play a new version of EQ2 every year, and the changes are starting to make less sense to me.

While I would gladly spend monies on an EQ3 at its release, I can't help but imagine it heading down the same path as their current games. There needs to be a paradigm shift away from the current methodology of what they believe is making them profit. While it may be the sole thing that's keeping the lights on, exploring other means of income through micro transactions was never their strong suit.

At this juncture, I'm 98 percent more apt to spend 10.00 on a piece of limited edition fluff gear (like flip flop appearance shoes for my monk) then I am to spend 10.00 upgrading my recently acquired level 120 spell from adept to expert.....because the spell books just don't drop like they're expected to. This is done by design, and I don't agree with it. We like to joke about the RNG gods, but in actuality, its not random at all that the spell books I need don't drop: weighted RNG. Remember when Greater Fragments and Essence of Chaos were "hard" to come by? Now they drop like flies, and it's no mistake.

Paying to upgrade spells, familiars, mounts and whatever other marketplace loot box type gamble that I need pay for in order remain competitive at end game? Nah. I'll just run around as a bare foot monk until the next expansion that morphs my character from an ascension mage / melee / T1 dps / sometimes tank / shiny flopping toon into an ascension mage / melee / T1 dps / sometimes tank / shiny flopping troubador.. or whatever goofy thing is next. I mean, if I keep learning multiple classes on my toon, that means MORE spells I have to pay to upgrade, right?

EQ3 - I'm in...only after its released: not falling down that landmark hole again.
    Saints, Feldon, Mizgamer62 and 12 others like this.
  9. Uaeladen New Member

Either way. I am after the Landmark files is anyone still has it laying around. I am interested to see if I can get an emulator going for it.
  10. Dilon Active Member

I'm all for an EQ3, pretty much nothing would excite me more. But I sincerely hope that if they breathe life into a new EQ game, they have a 10-year plan for it. The constant gameplay changes every expansion, which were just layered on top of earlier layers, created this incredibly clunky system and I'm sure it's driven a lot of curious players away. Have a plan for implementing things like AAs, not just for one expansion but for the future as well, so it all remains integrated instead of this wacky system we have now.
  11. Ryonyx Member

Yep butv that would totally make too much sense and take too much effort... lol
  12. Argosunited Well-Known Member

Not with the same developers there won't be. In my opinion, of course.
    Cyrrena, Kheldar, Scrappyz and 4 others like this.
  13. Shady1 Member

If you don't have enough developers to fix things that your current developers broke, but didn't develop themselves (harvest material tooltips), you DEFINITELY don't have enough developers to make a new game, from scratch.

I mean, we don't even have enough people to do simple things like fix all the pink boxes of NPC's all over the world, and that takes about 10 seconds per NPC to fix, for one person. (At least on TLE, which I hear makes more money for DBG than LIVE, excluding the whales.)
  14. Obano Well-Known Member

Everquest 3 is an idea that never should have existed. People have been talking about it since 2008 basically and it has always been a bad idea. MMOs aren't single player games where you release a sequel every few years. The way MMO franchises grow is through expansions NOT sequels.

The solution is to invest the money spent on Eq2 back into Eq2. The way Everquest 2 has changed over the years the game has practically evolved into EQ3. This should be the new way of doing a sequel MMO. Rather than asking players to give up the characters they have been working on for 15 years, the present game will simply evolve into Eq3. I can promise you now. I will never ever play a game called Everquest 3. My focus is on Eq2 and making this game the best it can be.
  15. knightowl Member

I don't think it's that Pantheon doesn't have a target audience as much as it's target audience is likely far too small to make it successful in the long-term, without incentivizing the game in new ways.

To even make it worth the throw, you need profits and you need growth - do games like EverQuest (or EQ II) have the same levels of popularity among current gamers as games like Fortnite, DotA2, or CSGO?

EQ III, if it were to be developed, would likely need to be a very different animal (i.e. not simply a previous formula with updated graphics) to prosper, profit, and most importantly, grow. Investing millions of dollars to get a few thousand players that want to feel nostalgic doesn't make any business sense.
  16. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

The snarky side of me wanted to say something like "EQ3 would be like the Anthem (BioWare incarnation) of MMOs" ..... but then I realized BoL might already have taken that title.

On the bright side, I'm still working through older content (just started Thalumbra), so I don't have to worry about it until it's fixed enough to be playable.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  17. Dilon Active Member

[IMG]

"There was a dream that was EverQuest 3. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile."
  18. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Perfectly summed up :)
    Cyrrena, Mizgamer62 and Rhodris like this.
  19. Arclite Well-Known Member

If it is, I sincerely hope that none of the current EQ2 devs are working on it. We need new talent with fresh outlook and abilities to use new development tools that can make a game that is less mobile phone cash grab and more of an mmorpg, like EQ2 once used to be a decade ago.
    Geroblue and Rhodris like this.
  20. Zynt Feldon's sock puppet

With the current people in charge of the EQ franchise - I hope not. Longdale doesn't care about the game or the people playing it, you know, her customers.
    Gillymann and Geroblue like this.