COPAA LAWS

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Niboota, Dec 17, 2019.

1. draidean Well-Known Member

So, as a couple of people have intimated, can creators just add a curse word or some boobs and label for adults?
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Even if it's animated? Good question. :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena, draidean and Breanna like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And to further clarify: how do we go about proving to our lords and masters at Google/YouTube that we ARE adults, without having to sign in and be members, which I don't want to do? Neither I nor my hubby are even remotely keen on this. :-/

Dang it, I wanna be able to see "Horse Outside" by the Rubberbandits again! :-/

Uwk
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

EDIT: No worries; that worked. :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena, draidean and Breanna like this.
  5. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Well, I was looking at cartoons on youtube this morning.

Twice their system told me the miniviewer wasn't available for content meant for kids. After I watched the cartoon. I guess its a good thing I bought dvds of cartoons years ago.
  6. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

So adults are not allowed to view content meant for children, but children can view content meant for adults?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I am very confused. :confused:

Why don't they just disable comments and other sneaky viewing/reporting options on content meant/labeled for children, and leave the rest of us alone? :-/

Uwk
    Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any info on my account about my age; however, I have mostly watched stand up comedy, documentaries on various aspects of WW2, etc. So I presume they think I'm over 21. Well, I did mention my US Navy service here and there on youtube.

I was viewing Adventure Time. While ostensibly for children, some of it, like early cartoons, is for adults.
  9. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Well, instead of taking responsibllity for the reason for them being fined, they are dumping on creators of videos. Apparently they think it is our problem, when I'm rather certain the Feds think it is their issue.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Virtually every early cartoon was also/primarily for adults, if the old MGM, Warner Bros., and even Disney shorts are anything to go by. ;->

Uwk
    Marae and Breanna like this.
  11. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Happened again last night and this morning. Not on every cartoon from the same series... which seems a bit odd. They were on one account though.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm...if you do have an account, can't you just tell them (like I did with Facebook) that you ARE an adult, and to leave you the hell alone about this nonsense? Yes, ostensibly, we Must Protect The Children!, ideally by cocooning them in plastic wrap and burying them in a vault until they turn 18, apparently, but adults should be allowed to watch whatever the hell they want to watch. If they do -- interesting -- things in, say, the privacy of their own bedrooms while watching My Little Pony clips, that should be entirely up to them. ;->

Uwk
    who hasn't tried watching "Fritz the Cat" yet, but it might be an interesting experiment... ;->
    Breanna likes this.
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I looked at more cartoons, by the same poster... two said something about the miniviewer, the rest didn't.

So... its possible the poster has more than one person posting, or youtube is frantically changing the status of the uploads.

I hope none of you all have to deal with this if its youtube doing it.
  14. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I went to the movies and saw movies about combat in WW2. While those movies didn't show gore, they certainly left nothing to my then 8 year old imagination. Over 70 these days, I have yet to be traumatized over it. Must have been about 5 years old when my mother told me nothing on the movie screen could hurt me as it wasn't real. I had asked how Sylvester could fall out of a tree, get up, and chase Jerry the mouse.

I could still get scared, worry about a character, but not angst about it.

And most of the 1950s sci-fi movies about invaders were mostly hilarious. One was a monster that looked like an inverted ice cream cone, gigantic sized, with teeth along the bottom edge. Jets and tanks couldn't hurt it, but the hero with a little pistol scared it.

Anyway, still doing it. Seems I cannot watch excerpts of Adventure Time in peace.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, to be pedantically accurate, it was Tom & Jerry and Sylvester and Tweety Bird (though Syl did chase mice on occasion, especially Speedy Gonzalez)...unless you were making a generic cat/mouse point. :)

And hopefully, you were one of those kids who, upon watching the Three Stooges go at it, were lucky enough to have a mom who could tell you, "Don't worry, they're not actually hurting each other, it's just a nasty sound effect. Still, don't try that on your little brother." ;->

My dad was a huge fan of the slapstick that went on with the old black and white movies as well as the early MGM and Disney animated shorts, and especially the old Warner Bros. cartoons. :D To this day, I think slapstick is hilarious too, as long as it's either done by professional physical comedians (one old dude was interviewed on a PBS talk show when I was a kid and talked about being in a Three Stooges short, going up against Moe Howard and His Flying Fingers of Doom. They'd told him, "You can blink, but don't flinch away, it'll be okay." And he said that by the time Moe's fingertips were at his eyelids, "it was like being touched by a butterfly's wings.") or by cartoon characters, who can take refrigerators being dropped on their heads for several takes. I DON'T like stupid amateur attempts, like America's Funniest Home Videos or idiots on YouTube. :-/

Adventure Time? I think I might've heard of that... Or Adventures in Time and Space, which was the fictionalized documentary about the creation and early years of Doctor Who? Talk about hilariously bad special effects... :D

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Adventure Time, Finn the human and Jake the dog. And their adventures. No Dr. Who in it that I know of.

Too complicated to explain it.
  17. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I'm going to stop worrying about this because youtube has gone bonkers.

They think Duckman is a cartoon for kids.

Good luck to all of you who put videos up on that system.
  18. Lera Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. They may think that some bureaucrat in Washington will decide that Duckman, being a cartoon, could cause kids to watch it, and comment about it. So it's better to do whatever they did than to risk more fines.

COPAA's not about censorship. It's about privacy. What YouTube really need to do is require everyone to verify his age before posting anything. But they don't want to do that, because it'll be a huge hassle. It's far easier to just shut things down. Google and YouTube share part of the blame for it, but it's not a great law, either.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Meh, "grandfather" folks who were members before this nonsense, and any new members, make them at least pinky-swear that they're 18 or older or 13 or younger or whatever it is people need to be, like with this game or Facebook or anything else. If they don't abide by YouTube's new required EULA, they get booted before YouTube gets in any more trouble. ;->

Uwk
  20. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Youtube is being absurd. But marking Duckman for kids, is likely to get them in more trouble.

And their adverts for dating services. Makes me wonder what they are really up to.