are ascensions important in Blood of Luclin?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by blackshad, Dec 18, 2019.

1. blackshad New Member

Hi there,

I kind of hated the lack of flavor from the classes since DB added ascensions to the game.
    How important are ascensions in Luclin? Is that still a thing ?
  2. Raff Well-Known Member

Any added dps is a "thing" in Luclin :p....so yes, absolutely.
  3. Giga Member

If you hated losing class "feeling" with ascensions, which I agree with, nothing different here sadly.
  4. Joomus New Member

ascensions are the reason i can't get back into the game. I tried last year. I bought BoL and tried again with this level increase thinking it would be obsolete now. They've made it way more of a pain to start back after a long break than it's worth for me unfortunately. If they would get rid of some of the bloat they've added the last few years i think more people would come back.
  5. blackshad New Member

yeah ascensions are a very bad design decision. Destroyed the flavor of all the classes.
    Rhodris and Argosunited like this.
  6. Kittybock Well-Known Member

I have never understood the Ascension hate. I love the addition of Ascensions. They remind me of class options back when we played old school D&D, ya know, with dice n books. I always wanted to be a fighter/ magic user back then. Since I mainly tank, with Ascensions, I can be that fighter/ magic user. Love it!
    Raff likes this.
  7. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

Not exactly the best comparison, though. In D&D it was and still is a choice for you to build that way. And generally it's a choice between sacrificing physical Feats and increased power in one way of fighting for more utility and advantages in another.

Here, it's literally "We got tired of making you advance as your actual archetype with customization options and plenty of choice, here, let's make everyone a Wizard with unique combo-spells that are cast between group members". And for lore/world building we now have to be going to planar-infused locations every expansion going forward or else it makes no sense to be wielding literal planar magics to the degree we are doing via ascensions.

Would rather they just no longer raise the cap on them so that they eventually fade to obsolescence. If everyone's going to be a Mage-Fighter hybrid, or the even more bizarre Mage-Mage hybrid, it's not worth anyone being one if it means less actual choice.
  8. dorotea Well-Known Member

Very well put Kurei Hitaka. I agree in all respects.
  9. Raff Well-Known Member

Ascensions are a choice as well. Fine, don't use them. Join a progression Guild and raid older content. Craft, harvest ..work on your house. Solo to your heart's content. Play on the TLE servers.

But if you can't put out enough dps in end game heroic groups...be you healer, utility or dps? You aren't going to have much luck getting into groups where every bit of dps is needed. Ascensions are the great equalizers and the game play has been built around them now.

I like them, personally.
    Kittybock and Snikkety like this.
  10. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

or come to us waves big sign saying " THIS WAY " come to Kaladim we are free of any ( nonsense ) like ascensions ,
    infusions and even refining .
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Ascensions can be crafted in game pretty easily. There's no reason you can't get your Ascension spells to Expert pretty rapidly.

Sages can craft the upgrades. You will need Planar Energy (harvested in Plane of Magic, CD zones, BoL zones) as the fuel, at least one per combine. Journeyman is all common materials + Planar Energy. For the Adept you will need the Illegible Scroll Page (Adept) for that spell, some common materials, and a Planar Energy. The Expert requires a Casiun Root (rare root harvest from CD zones), some common materials, and a Planar Energy.

Adept and Master Illegible Scroll Pages are available on the broker. The Adepts are pretty affordable, the Masters less so. Ilegible Scroll Page (Adept) drop in CD Solos and Heroics, Illegible Scroll Page (Master) drop in CD Heroics and Raids. (They might also drop in BoL, dunno yet).

If you can nab the Illegible Scroll Page (Master), your Sage can craft you the Master with that page and the other normal materials and Planar Energy. Then the Sage can make the Grandmaster using either a Celestial Spellshard or Celestial Foundation plus the other usual stuff.

Just get the Ascensions to Expert and you'll probably be fine for most stuff! It's not difficult at all.
    Breanna and Kittybock like this.
  12. Laita Well-Known Member

I'm sorry... just returning to the game recently as well.. but were are you getting these crafting materials from? I got my Sage up to 120, and EVERY single spell from journeyman to grandmaster requires something called "celestial teachings: ethereal gift", which I have no clue where to get, and the few that are on the broker are for millions of plat (which as a returning player, I don't have)…. so just curious why your list doesn't include these, or am I all jacked up?
  13. Arclite Well-Known Member

The advice on this topic is as redundant as the game itself, more so if you are a new player. You are more than welcomed to hunt down scrolls by farming older content on your own or with someone else willing to take you through old zones. The drop rates are an absolute joke and you will most likely spend the entire expansion getting the upgrades like that and before you know it they will probably add new spells later on and the cycle will start again.

1. If you are a solo player and only intend to be that way with an occasional group run with friends just for a laugh or two then don't bother with ascension upgrades at all.

2. If you want to get into group zones and be taken more seriously then you will need some of the key ascension spells of your selected class to at least expert level. This is no by means a requirement but upgrades will substantially up your dps as the main classes are deliberately being neglected/relegated to provide filler buffs and minor dps which again are enough for solo play but not for group/raid play.

If you incline towards option 2 and willing to invest in the game then the easiest way would be to buy a bunch of kronos for real money sell them for a few million plat and then you can buy the upgrades. That said, you will most likely will not be able to buy every upgrade for every spell unless you are willing to spend a fair bit on the kronos. Your best option would be to target the main spells that you should upgrade first and then take it from there.

If all this is just hogwash to you then you can always spend quality time doing redundant content and rely on the RNG to reward in a few months to come, if only it was that simple. :)
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The recipes for Ascensions are in CD recipe books for Sages, primarily. There are also KA recipes, but take different materials and resources that aren't as accessible. It should be reasonably easy to get your Ascensions to Grandmaster. It's dead easy to get them to Expert.

You will need Planar Energy (harvested in Plane of Magic, CD zones, BoL zones) as the fuel, at least one per combine. Journeyman is all common materials + Planar Energy. For the Adept you will need the Illegible Scroll Page (Adept) for that spell, some common materials, and a Planar Energy. The Expert requires a Casiun Root (rare root harvest from CD zones), some common materials, and a Planar Energy.

Adept and Master Illegible Scroll Pages are available on the broker. The Adepts are pretty affordable, the Masters less so. Illegible Scroll Page (Adept) drop in CD Solos and Heroics and BoL solos, Illegible Scroll Page (Master) drop in CD Heroics and Raids, and I've seen a couple in BoL solos also

If you can nab the Illegible Scroll Page (Master), your Sage can craft you the Master with that page and the other normal materials and Planar Energy. Then the Sage can make the Grandmaster using either a Celestial Spellshard or Celestial Foundation plus the other usual stuff.

Just get the Ascensions to Expert and you'll probably be fine for most stuff! It's not difficult at all.
  15. Gnomfu Active Member

Is there a best ascension for monk dps. i went Geo for the 2 AE skills it gave me,but i found a master or GM one for Thau and it was in the area of 300 million damage. i only run solo, but would like to work on upgrading one that helps my DPS.

I also found the epic 2.0 spells that i'm missing so backtracking to finish that quest line as well.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Honestly, I'd go with Etherealist for big AOEs.
    Breanna likes this.
  17. Occam Well-Known Member

Sigrdrifa, any idea where I'd get the recipe book to make adept ascensions? I've looked all over, both in-game and online and I can't find the answer.