Does Shadow Prospecting Skill Increase?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Adept, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Adept Active Member

After completion of the TS line I received the staff and only then realised there was a Shadow Prospecting book to click - which gave me a shadow prospecting skill of 1/600 when I clicked it. Since I see in threads everyone says they have a skill of 25 and my logs show skill ups while progressing I assume it did not actually give me the skill ups that was scripted through the TS line.

When I petitioned the reply I received is that it is a skill like any other and will increase with use but I have had no skill ups and from what I have been reading does not seem that other people have either - however that could be because shadow prospecting does not seem to be useuable on shadow nodes? Before I respond to say what he claims is inaccurate, has anyone had a shadow prospecting skill up?

(Also my scribed recipes for shadow prospecting mount equipment show they give +1 skill per piece which seems so worthless I feel no inclination to bother with these)
    Dani likes this.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

Currently? No. There is no way to increase it beyond the scripted increases during the sig line
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Although you can get tradeskill recipes to allow you to make tack that boosts the skill a little. It's still not great. I have yet to get an ultra-rare shadow rare.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Mermut Well-Known Member

That increases skill max (and min) so it's not really a skill up.
  5. Melkior Well-Known Member

How sure is everyone that Shadow Prospecting is linked to the Staff? It is a skill that seems usable separately. I've tried using it on regular and shadowed nodes. But to me it seems odd that it is a clickable skill if it were only supposed to go up when using the staff. I'd originally thought that it was the skill utilized when doing the shadow harvest in the same way the other harvesting skills get used when clicking on them. But since the skill specifically say you can't prospect here, wither it is outright broken (very possible) or maybe not its intended use?
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

The staff lets you SEE shadowed nodes. Shadow prospecting is only 'linked' to the staff in that sense. The staff lets you see th nodes that the skill is used on. The skill isn't actually 'linked' to the staff in any meaningful way.
    Shadow prospecting is a skill just like fishing and mining
  7. Adept Active Member

My guess is that harvesting shadow nodes use your normal harvesting skills but chance of a rare comes from shadow prospecting skill
  8. Melkior Well-Known Member

Except that it doesn't currently work that way. Which may be why the skill doesn't go up. Although no one does it this way, if you target a mining node and use the mining skill from your book, it will harvest from the node. I always assumed that the UI interface just translates the 'use' command to the appropriate harvesting skill required. Also when you 'examine' a shadowed node, it gives no information about Shadowed Prospecting. When you select a shadowed node and select Shadowed Prospecting you get a message saying you cannot prospect here. So maybe that's why the skill doesn't raise. It's not actually getting used.

I agree it is likely supposed to work the way everyone has been describing. There were just enough inconsistencies I felt compelled to ask. Maybe when they implemented it, they just missed linking those things together to get the skill to rise. I just thought I'd throw this out there to see what others were thinking, or to help the devs (if they read this) zero in on how to fix it.
    Breanna and Dude like this.
  9. Argosunited Well-Known Member

My shadow prospecting 'skill' is at one. It hasn't moved. I'm wondering if this explains why I am still to harvest a shadow rare.
    I can't even make the mount items because my skill is too low.

I just can't believe what a mess this is.
    Dani, Lateana and Rhodris like this.
  10. Mermut Well-Known Member

It wasn't testable during beta, so we only have word or mouth and the staff description to go. Unfortunately, there was never any explantion about how it is 'supposed'.
    There also seems to be some sort of 'mechanic' that controls how many shadow nodes 'can' spawn in an area. Areas with no competition (as evidenced by tests on test server) are frequently yielding ZERO shadow nodes at all. Since nearly everything about shadow prospecting seems to be verging on the border of 'secret' we don't really know HOW it's supposed to work so we don't know what is broken about it.
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Bhayar Well-Known Member

A number of people who completed the TS sig line early in release are showing a skill of 1. I completed it late last week and have 25. I can't say there's a connection because I don't have the data. It's a skill in 'General' tab, but doesn't level. As Sig mentioned earlier, there's tack available to raise it, but I'm not clear on what the point is or even if it has an impact. The simple truth is we have no idea because there's a big goose egg (zero) of information available on what the intent of introducing the concept into this xpac was intended to accomplish, much less the simple mechanics involved. Put another way, its like dropping a Maserati into a remote section of the world where people have never seen cars look at it and wonder what it does.
    Maybe at some point we'll get some information or maybe not.
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

Most people who are showing a skill of one appear to be those that didn't scribe the 'scroll' until after they finished the sig line.
  13. Tkia Well-Known Member

Which is a bit weird in itself as I have 2 level 100 crafters on test that are showing Shadow Prospecting as 5/500 and I don't even own the expansion. So if you actually start the quests it seems that it drops you below the normal default minimum skill level?
  14. Mermut Well-Known Member

No clue.
  15. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Interesting note. I'll check with one of the guys. Bottom line is, who knows how this was supposed to work or where it was intended to go.
  16. Mermut Well-Known Member

Caith is the only one with those answers :)
  17. Argosunited Well-Known Member

This is getting ridiculous. 99% of the time I can't even find any Shadow nodes, let alone get rares. That's with three toons with the staff.
    Is this meant to be fun?
    Mermut, Kuulei and Rhodris like this.
  18. Dani New Member

I also scribed the book after completing the tradeskill line and I'm at 1/600. I have yet to see a skill increase and my alts, who have never been to Luclin, are at 5/600. I was told to submit a bug report so I posted a thread on the bug forum. I hope they fix us soon. Looking at some of the recipes, I noticed it said you need 25 shadow prospecting skill. :(
  19. Argosunited Well-Known Member

I put in a ticket and was told to put in a bug report. I hope it's fixed too. One of mine is stuck at 1.
  20. Udainius New Member

I am also having a problem with this. My Base prospecting is stuck at 20/600. A petition was unhelpful. I have recipes I can not scribe because they require a 25 base. This is broken, can we please get it fixed.