Can't Launch Game in Win10

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Vitriol, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Vitriol Member

Hi everyone
    I'm trying to return after a long break, can't get the game to launch on my Win10 laptop... I downlaoded the streaming client which allowed me to log in a few days ago, but I wanted the full client so patched that. Now, I get the play button and when I do that, a black window opens and then just closes.
    I've checked the DirectX stuff I've seen on Google and I think it's ok? I only had the laptop since March so I'd imagine it's up to date... any ideas?
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The Win10 version of DirectX won't do it. You need specifically DirectX 9.0c,which will coexist peacefully with newer versions. Using Win10, you have to use this version of the DX installer from Microsoft.

Also, start the Launchpad, click the Advanced Tools button (crossed hammer and wrench icon) and ask it to Validate Files, in case you have a borked file somewhere.

Are you using a custom UI? If a UI piece isn't quite right it can also prevent the game from loading.
  3. Vitriol Member

Thanks, just got in from work so I'll give those things a try and let you know :)
  4. Vitriol Member

Thanks for your help, everything seems ok now - though I've not installed a custom UI so will be careful with that!
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Usually custom UIs are fine. But -- for instance -- the Tradeskill Recipe Filter one I do, if the file is wrong can cause you to load to a black screen and freeze. So I try to make very sure its working for my toons before I upload!
    Rosyposy likes this.