why are some ts recipe books so expensive?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by damaahra, Dec 3, 2019.

1. damaahra Member

I have a tailor, carpenter, and provisioner and some of the recipe books, for the lower 20's and 30's are outrageously expensive. Are they just that rare? I can see paying up to 75-100 plat for one, but thousands? what gives?
  2. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I'm inferring you're trying to buy them off the broker because the most expensive TS recipe book I know of off a recipe merchant in GH for example, is 50 plat. That said, many of the advanced books are only available after you actually complete a TS timeline. Those are usually low level like you describe. Which means if you want to bypass a TS timeline and be able to buy said books from the merchant or quest completer for 20 gold or so, you'll pay someone else who's done it. The TS timeline in Butcherblock for example probably takes an hour; at the end, you get a pretty cool jumper mount and the right to buy all advanced TS books for about 20 gold apiece.
    Dude likes this.
  3. Faeonara Well-Known Member

Best thing to do for your level 20 - 29 books Do the quest that starts on the dock in Butcherblock you will at the end be able to purchase all advanced books from the questgiver , For level 30 -39 advanced books go to Steamfont and do the quest that starts in Gnomeland Security area Again at the end you can purchase advanced books when you have comepleted the ts quests from there . As a bonus you will get some ts experiance and faction with the Far seas group ,
    Dude likes this.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You can also go out and hunt mobs that are the level of the book(s) you still need. They will drop them, though you may have to do a lot of slaughtering.
    Breanna and Korochun like this.
  5. damaahra Member

thank you for the help. yes, I'm talking about the ones on the broker. I think I've done some of the butcherblock quests, but haven't gotten an option to buy recipe books yet. my provisioner is the only one that is active on adventuring. she does all the harvesting etc for all 3. I'll look up the info on the ts quests and start doing them. although it would be much simpler to get them from the broker, lol.
    Soara2 likes this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You specifically want the tradeskill quests. A good reference is the wiki's Tradeskill Timeline page.

Did you know?
    (1) Even if you are higher in crafting level than a crafting quest, you will still get crafting XP for the quest itself. Doing crafting quests and Quo Augren's Gathering Obsession quests is helpful in quickly leveling crafting.

(2) Doing the crafting quests from the Grandmaster of your local crafting headquarters rewards some advanced crafting books:
    • Journeyman Service rewards your choice of one advanced lvl 20-29 recipe book for your class only.
    • Tradesman Service rewards your choice of one advanced lvl 30-39 recipe book for your class only.
    • Advanced Tradesman Service rewards your choice of one advanced lvl 40-49 recipe book for your class only.
    • Senior Crafter Service rewards your choice of one advanced lvl 60-69 recipe book for your class only.
    • Provisioners get a single advanced volume for the first three.
    (3) Another great reference for crafters is Niami Denmum's EQ2 Trader's Corner. i specifically recommend the Recipe Book reference section for where to find the various books.
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Dude Well-Known Member

Of course it would be easier to get from the broker, but you're going to have to pay for that convenience.
    Pixistik and Breanna like this.
  8. Breanna Well-Known Member

Some of the books are more expensive for a couple reasons. I always noticed the Armor and Tailor books I think like the 8 & 9 of each level cost more because they would have the upgraded Breastplate and Legs. Some of the Spell's are more because they may have a really good spell in there that people pay highly for. Alot I guess just depends on what is in the book.
    Xianthia likes this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

One is just because we have most of the population concentrated at end game on the Live servers. However, people were asking insane prices for these books on Fallen Gate when I had a toon over there, too.
  10. parissa Well-Known Member

what server are you on and your characters name? i will dig through my scroll box and send them to you if I have them... collecting dust doesn't do me good... and I don't broker them because of the crazy pricing... and if you need the building on sundred ground (and are on AB) I have a few extra of those from the original prelude and can send you one of those too
    Breanna likes this.
  11. damaahra Member

I am on maj dul, damahra is the main name. that's so kind of you to check. I've reached the point on pretty much all my crafters that they can't progress well at all now. I've even tried doing the writs, but because I'm missing some books I can't do those either. and I'm sorry, I don't feel like I should pay 12 million plat on a 20-29 level book just for the convenience of using the broker. it becomes less of a convenience at that point, there are those of us who actually don't have that kind of plat in the bank.
  12. Darcmoon Member

Writs shouldn't need any of the advanced books. Check with the vendor in the crafting hall to make sure you have all of the basic crafting books.
    Breanna likes this.
  13. Dude Well-Known Member

I'm confused. First of all, as Darcmoon said, you shouldn't need anything from the broker for tradeskill writs. You should be able to purchase all of those from the tradskill NPC. Also, as a level 51 provisioner, why are you trying to use level 20-29 anything?

Leveling crafting is pretty straight forward. Do the level appropriate tradeskill quests, do the daily transmuting/adorning/tinkering quests, and do writs to fill in any space. If all of that sounds like too much, just do the daily transmuting/adorning/tinkering quests and you'll be at level 100 in about a month. After that, the only real way to level is the PoP tradeskill signature line.
    Breanna and Xianthia like this.
  14. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Why are they expensive? Some players are just ...opportunistic.

The issue lies in the drop rate for recipe books. In any given expansion, there always seems to be a particular book or books that for whatever reason, just doesn't drop like the others. The same holds true with collection items (shinies).

When this imbalance in the loot table / drop rate occurs, players take advantage of that item's rarity, and price it unrealistically.
    For example" Awakened Abilities book. Sage 101-110 books in Chaos Descending. Master level spells (ascension / etc).

The super sad part is - I've listed really rare books for crazy prices - and they've actually sold. Where that particular player earned 20-30m plat for a book...is beyond me. It's almost like there was a way to circumvent the natural economy of the game and generate free plat.... <cough> krono prices.

Belonging to a large guild with lotsa folk playing - will help in your search. Fomenting digital relationships with other players will help too - in trying to get that 1 book ya want.. or recipe.. w/e.

/gu Hey, does anyone have an extra (item)? goes a long way.

And as others have mentioned... all the level 1 - 95 stuff is "rare" in the sense that nobody's doing that content any more.
  15. Breanna Well-Known Member

There have been alot of times when a new expansion comes out when the tradeskill books drop and I start getting more than one of them, I give them away for free in chat. It is almost Christmas time after all :) I really hate some of the stupid prices for things on the broker some are totally crazy.
    Rhodris and Dude like this.