Multi-Core Option?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Saints, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Saints Member

Watched this video for some settings on EQ2 and around 40 seconds in they have an option for Multi-Core Support. I've swapped from Basic to Advance settings and do not have this option in my menu under Performance.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to enable this? Was it moved? Was it removed from the options altogether? I searched around a bit, asked in game, but couldn't find an answer on it.

Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Beee Well-Known Member

/cl_multicore true

But it does not help very much.. EQ2 is and stays a single thread game
  3. Saints Member

Thanks Beee, this is exactly what I was looking for
    I'm aware of the woes of CPU threading, although appreciate the heads up. Figure I'd give it a shot anyways to try and eeek out a little bit more performance
  4. Lemon Wolf Member

Dont bother with it. You will get 0% improvement out of this.
  5. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

At that rate so what's raison d'etre of this command?
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Good question; it might be a legacy thing they were thinking of trying, but couldn't get to work? :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

..difference between minimum and optimal processor requirements is 1 GHz (for amd 2.1/3.1 GHz, intel 2.0/3.0 GHz). When your comp meets only minimum requirements for proc, then mentioned command you take missing GHz from second core (you play one account). Those who have not see difference are perhaps to have optimum requirements or more best for this game. Thus, DBGC imperfection for this game has only one - on page https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...imum-system-requirements-to-run-EverQuest-II- they should have written this command for those whose computer meets only a minimum. On other hand, some are better off not knowing about this command - they run risk of burning their computer if they don't monitor performance in real time (for example, by opening the alibaba e-commerce page). In best case, protection will turn on (if it enabled for processor)..
  8. Pijotre Well-Known Member

Even without adding that command EQ2 does already support multi core (though in a very limited way):
    [IMG]

As you can see from the above picture it utilizes 29,9% of my total 4 core/4 thread CPU, so using one core fully and another partly. However this is due to a few computations they moved over to a second core. To take full advantage of multicore systems they'd have to rewrite the entire core of the game. On a postve note, modern CPUs are again racing up in clock speeds which is what EQ2 really likes. So if you buy a CPU for EQ2 get a CPU with a very high clock speed and about 4 cores (so other stuff you do doesn't interfere with the ones that EQ2 hogs) and if you have a choice no multi threading as the overhead for multithreading would reduce the performance of 1 thread if compared to an identical CPU with no multithreading. You might want to use a tool like Core Affinity Resident to assign your game 2 specific cores. Especially if you multibox that can help a lot with performance as eq2 will otherwise try to run both windows on the last core hogging capacity away from each other.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  9. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Interesting, especially about core affinity resident tool. What is it? ..when using boxes, this allocation can vary on different linux operating systems and/or different versions of wine. For example, entire load goes to one core, and its excess begins to load other kernels or is spreading more or less evenly across existing kernels - each box "sits" in its own core. All this with standard settings, i.e. without inclusion of multithreading. In practical terms, this fact affects which linux for game I choose. In any case, and in case of any operating system, we, with appropriate knowledge, can change this. Using this command just turns out to be a convenient case for those Linux users who, playing with boxes, see, that all load from all boxes goes primarily to one of cores. Honestly, devil will break his leg with these things and you are forced to try one way or another :confused:
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  10. Alexstrasza Active Member

[IMG]

while raiding on extreme quality on the best gaming cpu on the market atm. maybe this helps idk, my video card is an RTX 2080 ti founders edition.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Your Photobucket image didn't want to load. Personally, I blame Photobucket. :-/

Uwk
    happier, though, to find out about the better CPU speeds these days... :)
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Er, no offense, but I'm a bit leery about clicking on an image that leads off to another site that I know nothing about. What's the brand name for the CPU?

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  13. Alexstrasza Active Member

its postimage.org ....
  14. Pijotre Well-Known Member

He has an Intel i9 9900K ... you can clearly see how eq2 works here. The last thread (core 8) is fully loaded for eq2 (pinned at 100%) and the main thread of the 7th core (2nd to last core, 2nd image in the last row) is loaded at over 50%. Thats the maximum eq2 can use. The problem is if you dual box eq2 still uses those 2 threads for both boxes instead of using other threads for it. To solve this you need to assign the 2 opened versions to seperate cores. Like Ra'Gruzgob said this can be done directly on Linux or on windows you can use a tool like the aformetioned core affinity resident. Windows has an option to do this but a) this has to be abbplied every time you open the second box and b) it resets itself. The program basically just controls this setting for you.
    Yeah sorry about photobucket, ever since they made their free tier whimpy its annoying as heck.
  15. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Here's an illustration of what Pijotre is talking about, regarding two-boxing, with both accounts just standing around in Qeynos.

[IMG]

Hope that helps! :)
  16. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Readings of temperature sensors for each loaded core are important. It's unlikely that there will be problems if your adaptive or excessive cooling and load balancing work correctly. But in any case, regardless of number of working boxes/processes, load distribution doesn't look best. Unfortunately we don't have information on which configurations the devs test this goods every time..
  17. Pijotre Well-Known Member

I remember vaguely that when Dual and Quad cores became mainstream and Windows XP load balancing was crap a decision was made to force the game on the last core which was usually less strained than the first (like I said balancing was crap then). I guess now that balancing is better its just that noone bothered to remove that code to force it on the last core.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I'd thought that even before XP came out, there was a choice to go with the idea of balancing the load among up and coming peripherals that would have separate GPUs and what-not and SOE decided against it, since single core CPUs were going to shoot up to the stratosphere and have double-digit GHz and clock speeds that could send computers into orbit, etc., etc., etc. that never materialized (SONY's track record of guessing wrong seems to have trickled down to SOE...)? :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.