Want to try EQ2

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by terrorclaw143, Nov 23, 2019.

1. terrorclaw143 New Member

How is it doing? I just started playing everquest literally yesterday... While i do enjoy the gameplay of EQ1, it's just so god damn slow... I even subbed because i do enjoy it.

So how is the population on the progression server or w.e? Are players friendly? Are there enough guilds to join?
    Cyrrena, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  2. Mr Kotter New Member

have you tried World of Warcraft?
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. parissa Well-Known Member

Not sure about progression severs, but maj dul and Halls of Fate have good populations... and there are plenty of guilds there too... Antonia Bayle is a lower population but also has the role play aspect... You can try rolling a character on each and see which fits your play time best for population wise...
    Cyrrena, Finora, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  4. terrorclaw143 New Member

I came from wow in fact
    Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  5. Mr Kotter New Member

nice. I juggle both EQ2 and WoW. both have their good and bad sides.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The beautiful graphics in EQ2 hooked me, and the depth of the world's lore and literal thousands and thousands of quests means you will never lack something to do. If you have a mercenary, you can solo all the way to endgame with ease.

I do recommend playing from 1-20 on a class to learn it a bit, if possible without a mercenary (at low levels mercs blow everything away). Then grab a mercenary, if you want the scenic route, find a guild that has people who are active at low levels, or just explore and quest.

I liked Fallen Gate and I expect Kaladim is similar. I don't have a toon over there yet, so I can't speak to the population. Maj'Dul is probably the most populated live server. If you want roleplay, you should consider Antonia Bayle.

Whatever you choose, I've been playing the game 15 years now and still love it (and still am finding quests at lower levels that somehow I missed before). Try it free-to-play, but if you like it, go ahead and subscribe... just getting the Fast Travel (on the live servers) is worth the $15/month, let alone the other benefits.
    parissa, Cyrrena, Juraiya and 3 others like this.
  7. terrorclaw143 New Member

Oh i'm already subbed so i'm trying to progression server. I subbed yesterday when i tried EQ1 and liked it. Just it being too slow bothers me.
  8. Vencidoo New Member

What do you mean by slow? If you're referring to the pace of combat you might find progression servers have longer cast/reuse times compared to live servers
  9. Beee Well-Known Member

On live servers is a cool community . just a lack of players
    Cyrrena, Soara2 and Korochun like this.
  10. Finora Well-Known Member

I don't know about lack of players, seem to be plenty on HoF to be honest. Just most people are high end.

To the OP, if you really want to, you can play on the progression server, but I honestly prefer the regular servers in EQ2. This coming from a nearly 20 yr vet of the EQ games (15 here in EQ2) with a lifetime membership. EQ1, I enjoyed playing on the progression servers for a while. EQ2, it drives me nuts not having access to some things after a little while and as far as I know the population on HoF & Majdul are at the very least equal to the active TLE & far far more than the free trade servers.

Of course, as someone new to the game, you wouldn't know what you were missing.
    =)
    Cyrrena and Juraiya like this.
  11. DustyBurrito Member

If you aren't at end game, population becomes more apparent during festivals and events. Right now we have the 15th anniversary event going on, where I've seen 30-100 players (depending on the server I'm on and time of day) gather in a zone to take down 4 different dragons (tl;dr- we're harvesting them for materials to build monuments in two different zones, which are ties into the next expansion I'm pretty sure). Frostfell (Norrath's version of winter festivities) starts pretty soon, and a lot of people are home for the upcoming holidays/on vacation from work so I usually see a spike in pop during this time as well.
    There's also a new expansion coming out next month, which a lot of people will come back for.
    I have toons on both the live and TLE servers, TLE seems more consistent with population.
    Guilds are plentiful and from my experience, the community is very friendly and helpful in regards to any questions you have (in game general chat is usually helpful). A good portion of guilds are new player friendly as well!
    Juraiya and Breanna like this.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

You also have the option of Rivervale which is server that is subscription only live server where you can start as level 1 or level 95, you receive a boost token in your backpack when you create your character. That server is a free trade server and is only about 19 days old.

Wherever you land, have fun, good luck and good journeys!!
    ConcealFate, Juraiya and Breanna like this.
  13. Fuddan New Member

That new server is basically Dead... 5pm to 1am u.s east barely anyone on.. i did /who all 5 20 /who all 25 35 /who all 40 55 /who all 65 110 and it was just DEAD....
  14. Kittik Well-Known Member

Join the progression server. It's better than the live because all anyone does on live is auto level to maxx level and complain about stuff on the forums.
    ConcealFate and Sigrdrifa like this.
  15. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

New server is great!
    You can only fit so many people in a zone anyway, and the open world channels are very active most of the time. You can have a 1000 more folks on say MajDul and ask a question and if you do happen to get an answer its usually someone trying to stir something up, the info is wrong, or you are told to google it. Most of the time its just no answer.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  16. Finora Well-Known Member

Hehe, glad I play on HoF then. Our general chat is pretty awesome most of the time. Lots of helpful people. Plus we have Canoptic of the Giver of the Bags who is a server hero.
    Cyrrena and Pixistik like this.
  17. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

On Maj'Dul, if you put a handful of the Debate Team on /ignore, General Chat is a fun and helpful place. There are some people who just delight in stirring the bunnies, and the best thing to do is to /ignore them and take away the reward they are seeking: your attention.
  18. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

While I do agree that can help, I find it much more enjoyable to play where we don't have to ignore each other ;)
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  19. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

In any game, or workplace, or school, there are going to be one or more jerks. You have a choice: allow them to impair your enjoyment of the activity, or ensure that their jerkiness doesn't impinge upon your activities. This is why we have /ignore.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  20. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Its just to bad that DBG will not extend the /ignore so that it /ignores the entire account so you are not then dealing with the same jerk on another character. *sighs*
    Breanna, Febrith and Sigrdrifa like this.