Familiar Name Hidden?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Rosiebones, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Rosiebones New Member

I've gone through all sorts of guides to try and fix this, but I have no idea how to unhide my familiar's name. /pet hide only unhides the appearance, not the name. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Juraiya Well-Known Member

As far as I know, no one's familiar names show at all. I don't think there has been a way to show them since they made them untargetable.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Fah, house pets aren't targetable, either, and they have names you can see if you click on them...what does being targetable or not have to do with it? :-/

Uwk
    /puzzled
    (yet remembering those bloody stupid bunny things that continually clutter up like every outdoor zone imaginable...they're only targetable on April 1st [their one saving grace; can't accidentally "fight" with them while desperately trying to Tab to a real opponent instead of to a harvesting node dozens of yards away :-/])
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  4. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Uwk, the point is, you CAN target house pets in order to see their names. While you can name a familiar, you can only target it if it's your own familiar, and even then I'm not sure if you can see the name. You can't target someone else's familiar. Try it and you'll see.

iirc, they made this change when some epic kept killing everyone's familiars all the time, so they made them untargetable so it wouldn't happen. I could be wrong about the reason, but I remember that the change happened pretty quickly after familiars were introduced. I haven't bothered naming any of my familiars since them, since neither I nor anyone else can see the names anyway.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't see mine, either, unless I go to the Pet Options window. :-/

But it's people like that possible Epic jerk->bleep< that makes my faith in humanity die a little more each day. :-/

Uwk
  6. Juraiya Well-Known Member

You get mad at an epic? (is amused) You realize the epic isn't really a "person", right? :p I think the mob was doing AOEs that kept killing fluff pets, goblins, ponies, and familiars. People objected less about the fluff pets and goblins than they did about the familiars, since those were giving them stat buffs. (And frankly, when you're in a raid you shouldn't even HAVE goblins, ponies, and fluff pets up at all. Only adds to lag and confusion, and does NOT contribute to the fight.)

Anyway, I vaguely recall that it was something like that as being the reason for the change. Could be wrong. But it was only a month or two after familiars were released, so I frankly haven't thought much about it at all.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! An NPC Epic Boss, rather than just some jerk going for an Epic 1.0 or 2.0 run. Got it. ;->

Haven't gone after an Epic NPC for the longest time... :oops:

Uwk
    who can completely understand about being annoyed at an NPC being able to target a familiar perhaps even worse...I take it, they'd die long before the owners would? :-/
  8. Juraiya Well-Known Member

You mean you never mentor down and solo hunt epics for trophies? I love doing that. :)

I think in this case, it was a raid boss from whatever was current content at the time that was doing the AOEs, and people were getting frustrated. I don't raid, so I wasn't involved in it, but I remember reading about it. And then shortly afterwards all familiars became untargetable, and names stopped showing.

I was a little sad about it at the time, because I had named most of my characters' familiars, and now those didn't matter. :( Most of the time I keep my familiars (and now the new buff pet) invisible, because they get in my way. I really hate when one of them stands on that shiny I want to harvest! :mad:
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Breanna and Dude like this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Oh, absolutely with that last one... ;->

And I don't think my Carpies have a lot of those Trophy Stand recipes, so...plus, when you've got as many "kids" as Uwk here has (108 at last count, just on Gold), it's more a matter of making sure the Hordelings have what they need gear-wise first. ;->

Although, there is nice gear to loot as well -- no, later Uwk... ;->

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.