EQ2 and new AMD CPUs

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Drona, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Drona Well-Known Member

Anyone here playing EQ2 on new AMD CPUs such as Ryzen 5 2600, 3600, Ryzen 7 3700X etc pls?

How are you finding the performance on these compared to Intel CPUs?

EQ2 is CPU bound and don't make much use of multiple cores so in the past Intel CPU were the kings of single core performances however latest's benchmarks suggest AMD has also caught up to Intel even on single cores hence I am wondering how EQ2 is doing on these new AMD CPUs.
  2. Terminuz New Member

It runs just fine. I am playing on max settings 1440P with 60-200 fps (there are a few dips in odd spots like crossroads in Commonlands where it drops to 45ish for some reason)

Overall a very smooth experience on my 3900x
    Drona likes this.
  3. Drona Well-Known Member

Thats good to hear. What is the GPU you have pls?

Right now I have 1080ti pair with i5 4670k but I get around average 60 FPS at 3440×1440 on balanced settings. If I put EQ2 max setting, then the FPS goes crazy and it can go low as 10 in raids so its really annoying.

I am toying around with 3600X or 3700X as 3900x is nearly double the price and I mainly game.
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I refuse to buy any AMD products. I have purchased 2 prebuilts with AMD processors and did a build with an AMD and both prebuilts had to be sent back to the manufacturers multiple times for replacement and the AMD build I had to replace that processor at least 4 times as it was faulty.
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Drona Well-Known Member

How long ago was this and what were the CPU models pls?
  6. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Built a machine recently that runs AMD 3600X, runs EQ2 with no issues at all. The previous machine ran an AMD8350 with no problems either.
    Momo and Drona like this.
  7. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

I play eq2 in 1440p extreme quality without flora and shadows on a 2600x AMD Ryzen 5 CPU with amazing solo performance..

But as anyone else I have to turn it down to extreme performance to get even respectable frames in raids and PQs. I think even with a nasa machine you would have to turn down graphics to raid in eq2 if you want smooth performance and especially if you like to parse.
    Momo and Drona like this.
  8. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

The last one was approximately 7 years ago and it was an HP prebuild. It was whatever the newest processor was at the time.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Drona Well-Known Member

That is the CPU I am thinking of. Do you mind sharing what MB, RAM and cooler you are using please?
    Cyrrena likes this.
  10. Drona Well-Known Member

Ah thats "very long" time ago in the CPU world. I have been using Intel CPU for the last 10 years but AMD Ryzen CPU's are getting very good reviews and Intel has been taking the p**s with their prices these days so going to switch to AMD.
    Momo and Cyrrena like this.
  11. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

X570 Aurus Elite
    3200Mhz 16GB Ram (Compatible from MB Specs)
    Stock Cooler - Works fine as long as air flow in case is good.
    Momo, Cyrrena and Drona like this.
  12. Lemon Wolf Member

That seems really strange to me.
    I built lots of PC systems over the last 20+ years, nothing like that ever happened with either AMD or Intel parts.
    Is it possible that you might have done something wrong?
    Btw you are missing out. AMDs current CPUs are really good.
    Momo and Cyrrena like this.
  13. Drona Well-Known Member

Thats a very expensive MB. Almost the same price as the CPU. Any particular reason? Are you over clocking it?

I am thinking of the B450 boards as they are lot cheaper.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I have learned over the years, I have this Black Cloud that follows me and it seems that Black Cloud detests AMD processors. I have done probably more than 40 builds with Intel processors for my brothers, my girls, myself, and others and never had an issue. Bought prebuilds, servers, etc and as long as they are Intel I never experience an issue. Through an AMD into the mix and there is a problem. So I have just learned to avoid them like the plague. Now my oldest girl, she has used AMD processors in her builds and has had no issues at all. My youngest girl has used them in her builds and like me has had issues.
    Momo and Breanna like this.
  15. Lemon Wolf Member

Hmm that is interesting. Well as i mentioned, never had any issues with an AMD CPU going back to the old AMD K6 Series.
    However a few years ago one Intel CPU the 6800K suddenly stopped working at it took the mainboard with it.
    What kind of issues did you have and how did they manifest themselves?
  16. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

X570 is to future proof, and allow more use of PCI-E 4.

Be aware with the B450 boards, that if you get them they are definitely ready for the new Ryzens, a lot of them require you to bios update using an old AMD CPU.
    Drona likes this.
  17. select20 Member

Really thinking about going with an AMD this time around too. I've been intel since I started gaming. I bought both my boys gaming pc's that run amd cpu and gpu's, since they were a lot cheaper.
  18. Alexstrasza Active Member

Intel is still better gaming performance due to it just being a better single core processor than AMD, though on most AAA games now AMD has closed the gap but Intel is still overall better for gaming.

fwiw is I have an i9 9900k and a RTX 2080ti Founders Edition, MSI meg Z390 Godlike motherboard and 32gigs of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB ram 3200mhz, this game still has fps dips on a system like mine because its 15 years old and doesn't know how to use new hardware, I run the game on extreme quality during raids and get 80-140fps during raids, 260+ fps in library and dips to 80 fps in guild hall/houses. Hope that helps.
    Momo likes this.
  19. Lemon Wolf Member

Technically that isnt the case any more.
    Right now AMDs current 3000 Serie has a higher instructions per clock speed than Intels lineup.
    That increase in IPC negates the higher clock speeds Intels CPUs can reach.
    [IMG]

Gaming performance is about equal on those CPUs, some games do however prefer Intels Ringbus over the CCX topology. That is about the only reason why Intel is still ahead in some games.
    Besides when you start playing at 1440p the differences are really negligible and not noticeable during gameplay.
    Btw i noticed a really big jump in fps going from the 2990WX to the 3970X.
    Bodiddle and Momo like this.
  20. Alexstrasza Active Member

you can't show a benchmark with underclocked cpu's and expect me to respect it.