UPDATE: Custom UI Timeline

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Oct 15, 2019.

1. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Wanted to update everyone with the timeline for disabling the Custom UI(s). We will be turning them off with the next patch on Tuesday (10/22), and they will be off for the following week as we spend that time testing. Either Friday (10/25) or Monday (10/28) before the patch on Tuesday (10/29) we will let you all know if that timeline needs to be extended further. Since we understand that many players will be effected by this and it is important to us that gameplay continues as normal as possible while this occurs for testing purposes we’ve made the below changes that will take effect around the same time as the UI are disabled:

• We will be awarding everyone (1) free lockout reset when the change goes active. This is a (1) use consumable that will reset all of your current lockout timers and will only be usable while this test is active. Keep in mind if you wish to enter a previously saved zone all members of your group or raid must have it reset in order to get a new zone. This short term change synergizes with the gear up level up double loot event, allowing participating raids to receive double rewards on a daily basis while this test is running.
    • We will also be lowering all minimum lockouts on raid zones in Chaos Descending and Fabled Kael Drakkel to 18 hours instead of their normal 3 or 5 day lockouts.
    It is important to note that once this test is completed, we will be returning the lockout timers to their original length. It is crucial that we have players in game and grouping/raiding during this time as we try to identify the cause of the lag we’ve been seeing lately. We will do our best to ensure the effect on gameplay is as minimal as possible. We appreciate your patience and your assistance!

-dreamweaver
    Kurisutaru, Saw-Lau, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  2. Clintsat Well-Known Member

Will there be any modification to the standard UI so that those of us with 4k monitors can reasonably see things in the UI?
    Cataclysm, Keyxik, Quillyne and 3 others like this.
  3. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

I do believe that will a good week to anything else but EQ2. Why you all don't test this out on Test baffles me.
    Bekkr, Svenone and Mermut like this.
  4. Mucko Member

Cause nobody raids on test.
  5. Avithax Well-Known Member

The amount of players in my raid force that are planning a hiatus during the UI disabling is enough to nix any chance at a fully capable raid. The game doesn't have the population or patience to endure the removal of the basic functions we have grown accustomed to playing with.

So now we are being asked to play twice as much, with a handicap in zones that have the same issues they had back during the DoV expansion. Also, there is no need to give the players a free reset, all we have to do is kill 2 or 3 bosses in either of the Kael raid zones and they will crash and reset themselves automatically.

I personally plan on being there and giving it a 200 percent effort but I am having a really hard time being enthusiastic about it.

P.S. If you want to investigate lag it might be a good idea to find out why every time a player logs into the game inside a guild hall they are spammed hundreds of times with the "You must be owner or trustee..." message. That has got to cause some kind of server burden.
    Bekkr, Cyrrena, Juraiya and 1 other person like this.
  6. WitchBug New Member

Does this mean that if we use something like DarqUI that it wont work? Just trying to make sure I understand this correctly.
  7. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

Yes. Any UI that is not the Default (And Default Blue?) will not work.

This includes:
    EQ2Maps
    DarqUI
    ProfitUI
    eXtremeUI
    Fetish
    etc.

So that being said, come 10/22, everyone will be using the default UI until they flip the switch back.
  8. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Oh they have in the past, we did a test raid in 2015 with no custom UI's to see if it was causing lag on a beta server for the developers in the past.

Live is just beta now.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  9. Dockter Well-Known Member

My wife and I hold lifetime accounts. The bonus announcement yesterday gave us something to look forward to, then you dropped this on us and now we're back to having a bad taste in our mouth. We've used a custom UI since 09, and announcing a bonus before announcing that you're killing custom UI's feels like a well thought out plan to scam users.

We won't be playing during the "beta mode" time, and frankly this has left a really bad impression.
    Pixistik likes this.
  10. Thand Well-Known Member

18 hour raid resets is worth it so run a week or so without a custom ui.
    Cyrrena, Juraiya and Ratt like this.
  11. Anastaise Active Member

"We will also be lowering all minimum lockouts on raid zones in Chaos Descending and Fabled Kael Drakkel to 18 hours instead of their normal 3 or 5 day lockouts."

Are the min and max lockouts going to still match so we only have one raid to clear the new kael zones? That will be rough getting enough time on progression mobs if you have to clear up to them every raid.
  12. Svenone Well-Known Member

I can all but guarantee that the crew I raid with will be taking a break while the custom UIs are disabled. Personally, I just hate the fat invisible borders present on the default UI windows, the fat end caps on the hotkey bars, as well as the (at least to me) in your face DBG presence. The loss of the ProfitUI shutdown window (the only part of that UI that I use) and EQ2Maps will be an annoyance, too.
    Pixistik likes this.
  13. Ghostouls Well-Known Member

What happens if you do not revert to default,and then log in? Will it auto revert and your screen be a mess?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  14. Scrappyz Well-Known Member

More like, come 10/22 everyone just won't be on for a week. No maps? count me out
    Pixistik, Juraiya, Tkia and 2 others like this.
  15. Alarra Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Dreamweaver. It is appreciated.

Playing with the default will be an experience to be sure. I look forward to the challenge, and the following relief when I am able to switch back.
  16. Gunnerb52 New Member

I thought it was just me that was getting that must be owner or trustee spam. On some of my characters I also get spammed with must be level 95. A lot of login spam could definitely slow things down a bit. DB better pray that it isn't a UI problem because if they have to shut off custom UI on a permanent or semi permanent basis you might as well turn off the lights. The default UI sucks hard especially for newer monitors. I have a 43" and 40 inch monitor. I have to play the game in window because if I do it in full screen it completely disables the other monitor. With the default UI in window mode it is bad since it defaults to my desktop resolution. I use a custom UI so I can customize the size of the UI windows so I can see them.

My account just reupped and I wish I knew this sooner because I would have waited till it was over to reup it. Plus, why do it during the Halloween event? Or better yet do it on the test server and if people are not raiding then give people who raid a benefit for raiding on test that they can collect on their normal server.
  17. Interstella Member

All the complaining, this is what it looks like when you are investigating sources of lag (we all hate lag, remember?). Half a dozen custom UIs each with hundreds of elements, I think its great if they can do it in a week.
  18. Ingerimm Well-Known Member

Thats also my concern.

The biggest problem with the custom UI is the lack of adaptation on high graphic resolutions (2K & 4K) and the lack of a framless windowed mode. But some weeks we find a way to play.
    Cataclysm and Cyrrena like this.
  19. Avithax Well-Known Member

I think it's possible to nerf a 4k monitor down to a much smaller resolution. I still play Diablo 2 sometimes with Open GL on my 4k and it was just a tweak in the monitor software to make it playable.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  20. Ingerimm Well-Known Member

@Avithax

Yes its no problem to turn down our screen resolutions, but then its also no real situation test, then 4K have a 16 times higher graphic RAM usage as 1K and you need a lot more CPU calculation power.

But i am with Daybreak and the test, the lag problems must be solved.

With some luck, we became a 2K and 4K standard UI provided by Daybreak and with a lot more luck also an frameless windowed mode :) … we will see it.