1. Warsteiner Member

Does the burnt key still drop in OF? I never got to do it when it was current content and would love to run through the zone at some point. Just can’t get the key! Is it still in game?
    Saw-Lau and Soara2 like this.
  2. elflover Well-Known Member

Haven't run much KA since POP but i did get the burnt key once, you just have to run around the zone and do things and hope it ends up in your bag. You'll see a message on your screen about something burning and that's when its dropped in someones bag.
  3. Warsteiner Member

After spending way too much time in OF this week, I'm not convinced it drops anymore. Either that or I haven't found the exact combination of things to make it spawn. I even stayed logged in OF for more than a day just to see if it would drop for someone in the zone and at no point did any message pop up in any of my logs. Either you have to have a minimum number of characters in zone, the message doesn't come across anymore, or it just doesn't spawn anymore. Guess I can stop wasting my time at this point.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

The main problem is that no one (outside of people at DBG) know how to trigger it. Supposedly, you don't get it right away when you have done all the things necessary to trigger it, but again, no one really knows. I got it on one of my toons. I swear I did all the same things for my alts, but never got it on one of them *shrug*
    Saw-Lau, Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  5. Beee Well-Known Member

With a crying eye i remember a guildie who got it on each twink at the first or second attempt, while i got it once
  6. Sheratan Member

Two years have passed since the launch of Kunark Ascending, please DEV, could you tell us now (October 2019) how to get that key? people would like to get the burnt key just for the content ... Thanks.
  7. parissa Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly... There has to be a min number of players in zone for it to drop (minus IoR server)... I want to say it is 12 or 24... If that bare min number isn't met when the key is set to drop it wont drop... and as bare as OF is these days, I highly doubt there is enough people at any given time to activate it...
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

What is your source for this? I don't believe the Devs have ever stated the criteria for getting the key or confirmed any of the numerous rumors.
  9. parissa Well-Known Member

As I said if I remember correctly... I never said a dev... When IoR first came out it was super populated as the numbers dwindled most people there had a time frame of when they were expecting the key to drop... everyone would push into the zone to try and get the number high enough sometimes logging in extra accounts... Probably by pure chance since I don't have a specific source other than the multiple times my characters got it on IoR, if we didn't get enough into the zone it didn't drop... If we had enough it did... I am sure it was just coincidence... It was a while back, thus why I said remember... So no I can't quote exact time frames or any of that... just food for thought...
  10. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

So is it a quest starter? Specific reward? I used to see people in gen chat talking about it when it first came out but I dont recall knowing what it was for.
    Saw-Lau, Soara2, Dude and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ragna Well-Known Member

It's kinda like the "Duck's portal" in Talumbra, the key gives you an one-shot access to a "hidden zone" (Burned Woods).
    parissa, Saw-Lau, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I never got the Duck Portal or the Burnt Key!!
    Saw-Lau, Soara2, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  13. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Me, either.
  14. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I think I got the burnt key once, didn't know what to do with it, and destroyed it. :D
    Cyrrena, Saw-Lau, Beee and 2 others like this.
  15. Breanna Well-Known Member

Me either. I never got either of them.
  16. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

You know, I recently spent a few hours during the week seeking the Burnt Key in Obulous Frontier. Killing random mobs, looking at zone populations..etc. I was beginning to think something was amiss!

But lo and behold, I *already* had a burnt key in my bag from who knows when...so obviously it wasn't going to reward me with another.

I can only relate my experience on IoR - that key seems to drop more often than not. Be it from the low population, underutilization of the zone.. or special IoR code: given a brand new character, I can typically get a key within the first 5 minutes of entering the zone (killing random trash) - regardless of who else is in the zone. New toon - no KA questing done, no Caer'Dal language..etc. I've literally zoned in - exited the caves and killed the magma creatures, or a slug..and boom - key.

Other than that - I seem to recall it being on a 12 hour timer from the last time the key was dropped. I don't recall it requiring X amount of players to be in the zone. Recently, I've looted it being the sole person in OF. When this quest was current, naturally there were a few folks loitering around there seeking the key... but there's never been any word from a red name that would shed light on how this key was obtained.

Here's a link to the wiki page on how the rest of the little quest unfolds after you have a key:

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Into_the_Woods

I'll check my other characters and report back in a few days. Granted, the information I provide will pertain to IoR - where the rules might be different(ish) due to the super low population.
    parissa, Cyrrena, Dude and 2 others like this.
  17. Gelenor Well-Known Member

Update Notes August 29 2017
    "Random events in the Obulus Frontier are now more common on a Free-Trade server."

So no doubt you have got it on LoR. The random rate for other servers is dreadfully low.. and I know I have spent days killing and questing in OF on Test server./. and it has NEVER been discoed there. Drunder server it has been, which is ironic
    parissa and Cyrrena like this.
  18. Crock Member

Once I've transferred a character to Isle of Refuge server, just to get some good (2 years ago) gear. Got the burning key the next day, just by flying overland to reach a solo instance for daily. So I'm also inclined to think you'd get the burning key on IoR very quickly, however far from that on any other live server, I wouldn't hold my breath there.
    Unless Kunark Ascending is your last and only available expac, it's by far not the best reward gear in that burning woods zone however. Not even compared to raid gear of that same expac. And you'd get gear with about same stats from the best overland key quest rewards, for lot less effort. Except the bracers which is the only stat-efficient, raid-tier gear from the burning key zone, with an orange rune slot - if there's any orange runes still to get anywhere in the game, Proving Grounds or similar.
  19. Sheratan Member

I don't know the others, but for what concerns me I would like to take the burnt key only to see the secret instance:cool: , certainly not for the objects (I have all the expansions).
    parissa and Cyrrena like this.
  20. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

On Isle of Refuge: Took my brand new toon into Obulous Frontier - exited the cave and killed 3 mobs - and the key dropped. Swapped over to (yet another) new toon, took the same path - no key. So there might be a timer. If I remember, I'll log this guy back in tonight and see if it drops.
    Breanna, parissa and Cyrrena like this.