Returning Player, Thinking of Picking a Class

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by TinyRatongaofDoom, Sep 15, 2019.

1. TinyRatongaofDoom Beau Wintertail the Ratonga

So, It's been a few years since I've played and I don't know what class to pick. I know Mercs are useful but like..
    I want to play a class that can solo without a merc easily, I do like being able to heal myself as well as others, but I also prefer good DPS and I tend to like AoE spells/skills.

I don't mind not being able to heal though, it's fine.
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

If you like melee, then shadowknight fits your criteria for soloing (my SK is DPS-specced). If you want to group, though, then the SK is expected to be a tank. Has lots of AoE damage spells.

For the healers, fury has the most DPS, good self- and group-heals, and AoE spells.
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  3. TinyRatongaofDoom Beau Wintertail the Ratonga

Hmm, covered two archtypes, what about mages and scouts?
    Soara2 likes this.
  4. Faelan Active Member

For mages, necro would be high DPS with good soloing capabilities (one of the best soloers in the game without a merc). Very capable at self heals, not so much on healing others (other than their pet).
    For scout, I play a ranger, so have to admit a strong bias, but ranger is a very good soloer as well, but little to no healing component. A well geared and played ranger has little need for heals though, nothing beats watching them fall dead at your feet. My ranger was one/two-shotting PoP mobs at barely 100 in nothing but the chest gear, no adornments. I run Bhoogar for convenience with cures and heals, really can speed things up, but not required. :) Swash is a much stronger AOE scout, but positional requirements makes it much more difficult solo class, esp. without a merc. Never played one, but have heard good things about berserker.
    These days, esp if you do use a merc, about any class solos well. They have really made it much easier on solo players over the years. Things get more complicated when you raid, and gear/AA/rotation becomes far more critical. But for strictly soloing, choose the class that appeals to you for play style, and go for it!
    Juraiya and Soara2 like this.
  5. Carynn Well-Known Member

My opinion, as I have and have played one of every class:

Fighter = Monk, SK or Pally. Monk gives you the ability to feign death and some heals, which is the best in fights. SK > Pally, but these two have marked differences in abilities that some people prefer the pally. SK is also OP.

Scout = Brigand. It's a tank in chain. I prefer playing the ranger, but I live a lot longer on a brigand.

Mage = Necro. Necro has self-heal spells, a tank pet that can really tank, and a few other good things. Of course, I don't like playing a necro, I prefer Illy and Conjy.

Healer = Fury. Fury has the best DPS of the healers, so you won't feel like you're taking forever to kill a mob. Wardens and Inquisitors also can do good dps, but at a slightly slower rate.

This is specifically in answer to the question you asked, about soloing without a merc. Personally, and the same is true for a lot of people, I would try out all the classes again to about level 25-30 and see which one you like to play the best in the here and now. Just because some classes are more powerful, doesn't make them more fun. I would also take the Queens Colony/Isle of Refuge start zone first, because it's a bit tougher than FFS/DLW/TD. You will know before you leave the island how easy/tough some classes are to play.
    Juraiya and Soara2 like this.
  6. Faelan Active Member

"Just because some classes are more powerful, doesn't make them more fun." Completely agree. I have a high level necro I hardly play because it's just too easy, and I get bored with it rather quickly.
  7. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Not quite so familiar with these archetypes, plus was working with your requirement for self-heals.

As both Carynn and Faelan said, necro best for soloing and self-healing. I personally like my wizard better because I don't really like pet classes, and I like to blow things up. She's very squishy though (a glass cannon), and definitely needs to run with an inquisitor or tank merc to keep aggro off her. No self-heals (but does have a cure arcane ability). Warlock has good AoEs and spells to affect all members of an encounter in linked groups (wizard = single-target destruction using elemental damage; warlock = multi-target destruction using poison and disease damage).

I have a couple of rangers that are good fun and do good DPS, but same as mages - inclined to be squishy in melee type situations. Rangers survive best when the mob can't touch them (kiting is my friend!). No self-heals though.
    Breanna and Soara2 like this.