Will There Ever Be an Everquest III?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Khulda The Rat, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Khulda The Rat New Member

(And don't you dare say Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, that doesn't count and never will count, yes, it's being made by the old EQ devs, but it's a completely different game, has nothing to do with Everquest)

I know this is something a lot of people are rather upset about with how EQN went, but like.. I wonder if there'll ever be an EQ3 or maybe a reboot of the series. Because, honestly, it's painful seeing the series fall deeper and deeper into obscurity. barely anyone my age knows what Everquest is (I am nearly 23 years old), I only know what Everquest is because my brother introduced me to it when it was barely a year old, he even got me into EQ2 when it released. I am always worried this series will shut down because there's rarely ever anyone new to the series, it's always the same people.. I'm not saying seeing the same people is bad, but it is bad for a MMO if there's never/rarely are any fresh players joining.

Honestly, I'm just hoping they are planning to make an Everquest III or at least, planning to reboot the series at some point. I doubt the devs will give an honest answer, but even a hint that they may be planning to make it would be nice, it would give me SOMETHING to look forward to.
    Siren, Soara2, ConcealFate and 2 others like this.
  2. Leloes Well-Known Member

I have my doubts there will ever be an EQ3. They thought it was going to happen with EQN but it didn't. So I really have my doubts it ever will.
    avashi, Kheldar, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

Judging by how things are going right now on live and TLE, it is probably best we don't see an EQ3.
  4. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

The way Daybreak runs things, god I hope not.
    avashi, Kheldar, Juraiya and 3 others like this.
  5. Scrappyz Well-Known Member

I suppose I'll be the smart-alic that says it.. Pantheon IS EQ3.. You said don't say it but I mean, let's be real.. You really want daybreak to make another game?
    Juraiya, Ruckus and Leloes like this.
  6. Raff Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Daybreak come out with a EQ3 with a modern engine and a pvp / battleground option that you can step into with a main pve character.
    Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

If the PvP is only in a battleground setting or a separate server, I am all for it.
    Juraiya, Soara2, ConcealFate and 5 others like this.
  8. Drackore Member

Nah, Daybreak has done well with keeping the game on life support but they just haven't shown anything that leads me to think they have what it takes to take it to the next level. As someone said, Pantheon looks to be the next "thing".
    Of course...I remember a game called Vanguard that was supposed to be the next "thing"...jussayin'
    avashi likes this.
  9. Svenone Well-Known Member

Will there ever be an EverQuest 3?
    Consulting the Magic 8 Ball, and the answer is "My sources say no".
    Kheldar, Juraiya and Soara2 like this.
  10. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

[IMG]

5 years from now waiting on Pantheon..............................
    avashi, Febrith, Juraiya and 6 others like this.
  11. HarmonyThurston Member

I admit I didn't follow Everquest Landmark and Next as closely as I probably should have. I prefer to wait until a game is about to launch before getting excited about it. I will say from my perspective that it seemed a bit confusing with the two being worked on at the same time. It just seemed like with Landmark they were doing a world just for the creators/decorators and for Next they were doing something for everyone else. It was a split in focus on the part of the development team. But I could be wrong - as I said - I didn't follow it that closely. Maybe it was two different development teams working on each one.

As for the Everquest franchise fading into oblivion. It is possible but I doubt it. The original just celebrated it's 20 year anniversary andI just began really playing it the other day. I am sure I am not the only one. So there are always new players joining (even if they are from the same game company playing on a pass). I take breaks now from Everquest 2 (still not happy with them gutting the Dungeon Maker feature a few years ago *shakes fists at devs*. But overall, I enjoy the game and I miss my characters and the world when I am away too long.

I think that's what will keep the franchise alive. People that played and enjoyed it will always a soft spot in their heart for it and will always be curious as to what would happen next enough to want to revisit Norrrath. So maybe they did cancel Next and Landmark but let's see what happens in 5 years. It's a good franchise with a long history. If the devs put their money and talents behind one single project I think it will be successfully launched.

(EDITED to add - I enjoy decorating my house and things but you have to have a certain talent, drive, and enjoyment of that to do it to the degree that Landmark seemed to require. There are people in EQ and EQ2 that have those qualities but most people don't enjoy it to the same degree they do. Landmark was great for those people. Someone like me would probably just sit there twiddling my thumbs while looking on in envy lol)
    Juraiya, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  12. Ghorast Active Member

Pantheon
    Scrappyz likes this.
  13. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

the dungeon maker feature is still there and working , but without rewards or even xp who cares to run through those.
    Now people use the dungeons for storage. with the mobs not activated

Landmark was a side product , and was in part used to create EQ next we were called the 3000 dev crew with talented. the devs had their characters they played on officially and some private ones and worked right in the game with us And we got to see little glimpses into EQ next , the best game ,that never was ( so far ).
    people developing technics to mold the landscape in ways the dvs did not know possible , as a reward for our help , we got our own spin of game . Landmark was like Minecraft on steroids , in the molding of the environment, but adding PvE was overwhelming todays capability of most users hardware and lag ran rampant on the servers we did not have big zones , we had islands. the mechanics were so involved that one single day run in one server went into the high thousands.
    the future EQ idea was was put away in a box for now.
    GrunEQ, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  14. Breanna Well-Known Member

Landmark was pretty awesome for building stuff. I had a guy/girl up the hill from me that did the Enterprise It was sooooo awesome. And further up someone did a little 50's style diner. Also awesome. I am so not creative like that I had my little bed & breakfast but it wasn't creative it was like a real house. But it was fun. I used to love to run around and harvest and visit other people's work. There are some very creative people out there.
    Zeddicious, Finora, Rhodris and 4 others like this.
  15. Melt Actually plays the game

maybe
    Cyrrena likes this.
  16. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Basically, I ran around and harvested. I got a basic layout done for a building and that was about it as my ideas never come out of my head the way I see them.
    Rosyposy, Breanna and Schmetterling like this.
  17. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I feel you on that one , I had a nice Bed and Breakfast that I made on Alpha and a light house , that I kept on building on later , but nothing like what those masters built mine were always a little blocky . I loved to make natural features ,because nature is random , like me .
    Cyrrena, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  18. Feldon Well-Known Member

The original plan was that Landmark was the game that creative players would use to CREATE the content which would go into EverQuest Next. The enemy placement and AI would be done by the Storybricks engine. Their goal was to make a flagship MMO with a flagship amount of content with a team 1/4 the size needed by having players make all the content and a computer figuring out mob placement. And every character class was going to have just 4 buttons/abilities cause it had to work on a Playstation 4 controller. Stop me if this sounds like it was doomed to fail from the beginning.

When you are writing software as a "dev tool", you take a ton of shortcuts and hardcode things in a horrible way that is not designed to be expanded or built upon. When you are writing software for the general public, you do it in a very methodical, object-based way so that you can bolt features and ideas onto it without it collapsing.

Landmark was exactly what it needed to be as a development tool for adventurous creative players to build houses, dungeons, city buildings, etc. Trying to turn Landmark into a game in its own right is what doomed the project.
    avashi, Kheldar, Lateana and 8 others like this.
  19. Drona Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said above expect the 4 abilities because of playstation 4. There are MMO (FF14, ESO, Tera, NWN, Black Desert etc) available for PS4 which requires the use of 10 to 30 abilities. I would also argue these MMO have much better combat system than EQ2 ever had. Just because a MMO is available on console does not mean it has to have limited abilities or even less depth.
    Lateana, Juraiya and Feldon like this.
  20. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Stop!
    just Stop
    Breanna likes this.