Another 2 months of DoF is too long

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Redlight, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Redlight Well-Known Member

One month would have been the max to keep people satisfied. The server is dead. Most Kaladim subs have been cancelled. Daybreak, please rethink your TLE strategy because this isn't working. Release KoS earlier, and not together with the live expansion. Or be straight up and give information on whether you are killing off the server or not.

There is no mid xpac content. Or well, I do not call terrible hunter quests and a newly dropped mount content. This added absolutely nothing.
  2. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Many of us said that DoF simply didn't have enough content to warrant even 12 weeks when Fallen Gate came out. When they announced 16 weeks for Kaladim, we knew it was going to be far too long and would likely put a big dent in the population as people burned out from not having anything to do. But, apparently according to some, there is a silent majority out there who simply love the vanilla and DoF content and that the rest of us "hardcore" players should just suck it up because we're just the minority that rushes to end-game. Unfortunately, I'm yet to see this silent majority subsequently manifest itself as a healthy mid-late expansion population.

I hope that if they do consider doing another TLE in the future, they either make it a month for vanilla and DoF, then increase the unlock time, or better still just open the thing at KoS and then keep it on a 12-16 week unlock schedule. Some more Dev resources wouldn't go a miss either. I can only hope that the success of WoW Classic has caught the attention of DBG's management, and made them realize that there is actual real interest around this kind of thing. While I wouldn't expect "EQ2 Classic" to pull in anywhere near the same kind of numbers WoW has, I think it still stands as a testament to what could be if the whole TLE thing was treated as a potential revenue generator with dedicated Dev resources, rather than what seems to be one or two dev's part-time side project. I don't mean that as a slight against the current Devs either. I'm sure they're just doing what they can with what they have.
  3. Ghorast Active Member

>5 months in 2005
    >4 months in 2019
    Anyone with IQ above 80 should have seen this is a terrible idea.
  4. Zenji Well-Known Member

Only if they were warned about this happening... Oh wait ya they were. People complained on Stormhold about DoF length, then again complained about 12 weeks on FG, and in all their wisdom they decided to make it 16 weeks on the most casual push over TLE yet. Some how over the course of several TLE's the dev team has became further disconnected from what the player base wants.
  5. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

One day I would like to play through a properly balanced and itemized DoF. They haven't managed it yet on TLE.
  6. Tobias Fünke Member

It's too bad that it doesn't seem to matter what anyone says about this stuff, as the devs are clearly reading what we have to say, based on their reactions to fixing the Hunters quest issues with mob targets (the *least* of their problems).

I don't understand why so many raid items are the same or worse than heroic zones. That DMP robe dropped and no one wanted it because it's basically worse than mastercrafted. So the only incentive to raid is to play with your friends, who log on less and less because there's nothing to play for.

I am more interested in doing T5 Hunters on my alts than doing T6 Hunters on my main. The only reason I do the quest at all is to help the 2 or 3 people in my guild (out of 40-50 active) who actually want the items. Nothing to play for.

To not only refuse to move the KoS release up to the end of September, but to not even explain why they won't, is pretty disappointing. I have a lot of fun playing with my guild and have been looking forward to KoS content for a while, but it won't be worth it if there's no one left to play with.
    Kalika likes this.
  7. Kalika Well-Known Member

Yeah wrong balance and broken itemization make playing not very appealing.

Heroic :

Grouping for heroic content is not fun since many classes can solo this content, and everything can be duoed. Playing in a group is like killing non heroic mobs with 6 peoples. When i play my conjurer in a full group i sometimes perform a single action and as a healer (fury) you may have nothing to do but try to land starnova before the mobs have been eradicated or if your group pull 4+ encounters.

Raid :
    I joined some x 4 raid, sometime with 12 sometimes with a bit more people and 90% of the the loot was weaker than treasured or mastercrafted. We already killed some x4 with 6-8 people. The only raid that seems to bring something is the one for the prismatic 2 but the quest line is so bad that many people simply skipped it. I had quite some fun duoing (conjurer, wizzard) the 5 races but so many steps involve waiting for repops or competition to kill the rare mobs that update your quest make that many of people hate the quest. On top there is no possibility to bypass the questline for your alt (ie no equivalent of the dragon runes tablet).

Solo:
    There is almost no solo quest rewarding a decent item, in the previous TLE the scael of sea was a great items, and the summoner caducea was nice to have too. I killed the merchant who used to drop it may be 10 times and i never got it, i probably gt 5-6 masters but no summoner staff.
    Quest XP is way too low when compared to group xp. My fury logged as a level 50 with full vitality and ran HC,Harpies, Cazel, Ancient Cyclop and then palace. She was 54 when she entered palace, AC and CM took around 10mn and Harpies 8mn. If she had been soloing she may have gotten 20-40% toward 51.

Dev lack of concern :

After 3-4 TLE it would have been easy to add some features like :
    - way to open Poet Palace doors once your finished the mirror quests.
    - Heirloom item to bypass Peacock timeline.

and of course they should have worked more on :
    - itemization, and character progression (without making the gap between raider and casuals too big)
    - difficulty (for heroics and raid) again without making the raid content too hard, or simply by having several level of difficulty.
    - Ratio between questing xp and group xp, of course questing should be noticeably slower but not 10 times slower.
    - priest balance, all healers are quite terrible to play due to the super slow casting times of their offensive spells, this combined with low mitigation and the lack of any stuns. My fury can kill the snake in harpy roast for the hunter quest, but it's a epic fight. My conjurer just cast blazing avatar and send pet ....

The amount of work needed was not very high and the potential revenues big ...
  8. Tobias Fünke Member

Even if the peacock item just skipped you into the LT part it would be better than nothing. lol
  9. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Prismatic, Peacock, Claymore, Soulfire, Epics/Mythicals... They really used to know how to make huge, epic quests that told a story.
    Cyrrena and Dude like this.
  10. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

besides the Peacock quest line there is also the factions with the 3 courts , several quest lines in the Living tombs,
    the music box line , a big bunch od quests inside of Shimmering Castle and lol the faction with the monks. If someone wants to do quest lines there are plenty in this expansion , but who wants to go through the pain if the rewards are less than satisfying.
    Cyrrena, Kalika and Breanna like this.
  11. Zenji Well-Known Member

Other than the Monk faction, all of that can be done even for a casual player in the first couple weeks of DoF. DoF should have been the mid content patch for Shatterlands. Neither deserved 4 months. Especially not with the leveling rates on Kaladim.
    Kalika likes this.
  12. Siren Well-Known Member

The server was dead because of WoW Classic's long-awaited launch. You'll see people coming back, especially with Nights of the Dead on the way.

And 1 month my foot! Some of us, like me for example, are self-employed/have jobs and have kids besides, so our gaming time goes up and down more than a Paladin's hammer. :p I'm just creeping back after a month away, so shush, you!
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Schmetterling like this.
  13. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

tell him Siren and I forgot to mention the ever popular, best quest ever ;) Herding Beetles . If you never saw the six blind mice bot running around , all ratongas with dark shades and in Beetle gear you missed out .
    Or the repeatable quests at Camp D'Sas so you can get some cool housing items like cobras or raptor plushies.
    Some things are worth doing for some people and they are totally worthless for others .
    I take it all the battle gear the appearance gear , the food , the crafting , and the fluff for decorating .
    And there is nothing more relaxing than harvesting ahhh " hey you creep get away from that log , and that's my bush "
    Cyrrena, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  14. Siren Well-Known Member

I just logged into Kaladim last night at some weird hour to boot, and there were actually multiple people running around Queen's Colony. General chat was also going strong, with constant groups forming as well.

I think Redlight is being melodramatic as usual.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  15. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Europeans they play here too , and lots of them . I was once in a Euro guild and late evening for them is morning for the US west coast . and yes people from Australia and Asia. same idea , totally different time zones.
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  16. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

you can find a group around the clock on any TLE server , and maybe on AB too , they got Japanese players .
  17. Somedude Active Member

Some us did them all, then week 2, didn't have much else to do ;)
  18. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I know I leveled up my level 60 in 2 days to 70 just because it was late and I was tired , could have done it in one day , but since I slowed down and I still have some things to finish . and there are a bunch of people that have a life besides Norath.
  19. Zenji Well-Known Member

What you call melodramatic, I say just needs a little perspective. On any given evening there are more people in queue to log into one of 50+ WoW Classic servers, than all of that are playing EQ2 across every server... just let that sink in.
  20. Siren Well-Known Member

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/game/status/classic-us

There are 39 WoW Classic US servers. On this Saturday night at 9pm EST, you can see that 10 of those servers are Medium load, 1 is Low load, 16 are High and 12 are Full. Only 12, which is about 30% of them, are Full, so only about 30% have any chance whatsoever of even having a queue.

WoW in its vanilla through Lich King era was always the most highly-populated MMORPG. Nothing has beat those numbers to this day. It had 16 million playing at its peak during Lich King, so *every other MMO* has always had less population than WoW did back then.

Subsequently, it's no surprise that WoW: Classic, which is vanilla WoW practically to its core (or the most identical simulation humanly possible) is more popular than the other MMOs out there right this minute. Plus, people have been waiting three years to play it on legitimate servers, back since when it was originally announced at Blizzcon.

That said, EQ2, which normally doesn't seem to fluctuate in population much no matter what Retail WoW does nowadays, has seemed to take quit a population hit on Nagafen since pre-registration for WoW: Classic server character names happened a couple weeks ago. I attribute this not only to the popularity of Classic's PvP servers but to their permanent nature versus poor Nagafen's 3 month seasonal wipes.
    Maldaris, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.