Are the dev's doing anything to bring back there old subscriber base?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Kamapoipoi, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Redlight Well-Known Member

Sorry for the weird links, and scroll to the top lol. Good site!
  2. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I agree with you Breanna. I don't know why game design school did not teach the developers that they can move decimal places to the left, that they do not have to continually add digits to the right. There is no reason to make something has 4 trillion hit points or have someone cast a spell that does 4 billion damage. Move that darn decimal point 6 places to the left, then its only 4 million hit points and 400,000 damage, better yet, move it 9 places to the left, then it is only 4,000 hit points and 4 damage. YOU CAN REMOVE ALL OF THIS BLOAT BY SIMPLY MOVING THE DARN DECIMAL POINT TO THE LEFT!!!!!!!!! It is a real and valid mathematical thing to do, its allowed, really!!!
    Juraiya, ConcealFate, Lateana and 6 others like this.
  3. Melt Actually plays the game

and that solves what exactly?
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Get these numbers back down into a manageable normal range and then start removing all the extra junk that is not needed for a game to be fun. Remove CB, remove resolve, remove fervor, remove everything except for STR, STA, INT, and WIS, that is all we need.
    ConcealFate, Lateana, GrunEQ and 6 others like this.
  5. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Lag.
    ConcealFate, Lateana and Pixistik like this.
  6. Breanna Well-Known Member

I know right! They just keep adding all the extra garbage, and some of it isn't bad I agree, but I liked the game ALOT more back when things were thought out. I liked getting a piece of armor and going ok I'm a fighter so I need Str and Sta, this piece has nothing or WOW awesome I got some new armor. I knew a Monk that had his agility so high he hardly got hit by anything. But now the armor basically breaks down to Plate, Chain, Leather and cloth other than that the stats are all the same.

And agreed why did they add Fervor and Resolve what was the point? And why Ascensions? If I wanted my Pally to be a wizard I would have made her a wizard. But I guess times change and I'll change with them. I still love the game even with all the stupid additions they've made.
    Juraiya, Cyrrena, GrunEQ and 2 others like this.
  7. Melt Actually plays the game

They are very manageable. It's not like we're talking in scientific notation here. How is 90,000 any different than 90 when in both cases I can just say 90 and more than likely the person I'm talking to will know what I mean? Sure the stats aren't needed and I certainly wouldn't complain about a stat crunch, but it isn't a cure-all and shouldn't be thrown around as such.
    close but no cigar. Lag on TLE is equal to live (don't throw around that "you play on live you don't know BS. I've played every TLE thusfar to completion, including Naggy,) while lower populated servers have less of it. Linking factor being population and, surprise, all of them run on 15 year old spaghetti. No game company in their right mind is devoting money to rewriting a 15 year old game. No, it's far more likely the money is going somewhere else. But who are we to say what that may be :)
  8. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Delusional, Lag is significantly worse on live than it is on TLE's.

Source: Played on both

Also, guild: Ne Plus Ultra, Guild Leader: Elamite.
    SacDaddy420, ConcealFate and Cyrrena like this.
  9. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

The crafting guild?
    Snikkety likes this.
  10. Melt Actually plays the game

lol
  11. Conifur Well-Known Member

I was a dedicated player, had three accounts that I kept active and played all the time. I bought the highest level expansions whenever they came out. That all started to change in ToT. When they made it a job it stopped being fun and it stopped being practical to have three accounts. There was no need to make it a job, that decision was self inflicted. I am not sure what moved them that way, I am putting my plat on ego. Knowing I could not keep all three accounts up to date I dropped to two expansions for KA, I stopped playing the second because it was just not manageable. When PoP came out I got one. I was debating on whether to even get CD but because my friends were, I decided to as well. I fell for the year membership push because I really like the game - I too think it is the best out there. I stopped playing months ago because it was just not fun anymore. I grind away at work everyday, I want to come home and get away from that - not grind even worse playing a game. I then failed to stop my yearly subscription, so I gave them a year more - I fixed that. I log in now to get my 500 DBC and move along training in hopes that someday they will do the right thing and I can come back. I doubt that day will ever come, once again - ego. So, next April when my year expires I will stop logging on, and delete this forum from my favorites. Sad, because I do love this game.
    Lateana likes this.
  12. Obano Well-Known Member

The difference between lag on Live and TLE is most likely due to zone bloat. The TLE server maybe has to keep track of 100 or so zones while the Live server has to run 1000+ zones simultaneously.
  13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Snikkety, I normally agree with you, but this time I do not and I do not like your condescending tone.

Why do you need to see numbers like 9,000,000,000 on your ACT parses to be happy or have them floating all over the screen? That is unreasonable and unrealistic for a fantasy genre and unneeded as well. Why anybody ever thought oh we will just keep adding digits at the end making the numbers larger and larger and larger and that will suffice to make people believe things are harder and more complex is beyond me.

Probably one of the worst things that was ever allowed to be used with this game was ACT because that is all most people care about any more and if they are not at the top of it then the screaming and whining begins. This needs nerfed or that needs nerfed or this is an exploit or that is and DBG is allowing it because that person is higher in the ACT parses than I am so it has to be an exploit.

Throw those darn parses out the window and play the game for the sake of the game. Not to have the highest numbers in ACT. Maybe then things will stop being geared towards the parses by the developers. Maybe they will return to Earth and Norrath and remember what the vision for this game was/should be and what the paying and playing customers want and its not all that extra "stuff" on gear and all those numbers with 6-15 digits, its not ascensions, and its not what has been given out for the last 4-5 years.
  14. Obano Well-Known Member

I am one those old players who did come back after quite a long break of 6 years. This is my perspective: you guys are totally barking up the wrong tree.

Things I do like are the ascensions and being able to parse 9 billion. I was lured back by old time friends who wanted to PvP but I stayed for the ascensions and high parses. If there was NO progression after six years I probably would have quit again after a week or so and never came back. But the idea of making my character extremely powerful really appealed to me so I stayed. I have a enjoyed the power boosts quite a bit.

Things I don't like is all the chores and back flagging for rare buffs and old runes that I had to do. Why does it cost me a Krono every time I loot a new weapon and have to level it up. That is annoying. Why can't a weapon just be a weapon? I hate how much plat I waste infusing my gear and how overly complicated it is with 3 different tiers of infusions. What is the point of leveling up a mount and putting gear on it. A mount should just be a mount. Why do I have to grind familiars and level those up too on top of all this other crap. These are all stupid mechanics that make the game worse.

I have been grinding and grinding and farming and farming all the while selling tonns of Krono and still haven't gotten all the upgrades after 7 months of very dedicated hard work. I still haven't gotten a superior or greater fragment of planar energy to level my epic 2,0 even after months and months of hunting it down.

As Conifur mentioned the game really has become like a JOB! There are too many upgradables that just eat up time and real life money. That is the real problem. Not a few extra zeroes on ACT.

Here is the bottom line of where I am at.

I was planning on buying the collectors edition for the next expansion but now I am having second thoughts. If it comes with a mount that takes 6 months to level up then I am going to have to say "no thanks" I will save my money and keep using the same mount that I have already level up. If it comes with a familiar that also takes 6 months to level up then why bother with it? There is no point.

If for some reason there is a stat crunch then I would definitely stop playing. Seeing my numbers go up is the ONLY reason I keep playing this absurd game. I would quit the day any kind of stat crunch goes live.
    Lateana likes this.
  15. Melt Actually plays the game

My computer crashed for the first time in like 8 years while writing this the first time, so this will be a briefer take.
    I apologize if I came off as condescending. I can definitely see how it may be read that way. What I was trying to say was that I don't feel like the numbers being larger contributes at all to the game, positively or negatively, as far as enjoyment goes. The way that I look at the game, the mechanics are all that you really experience and if you don't look at the numbers then you wouldn't really know the difference. I can try to illustrate this.

Scenario 1:
    Toon 1 hits button 1 and does 1,000,000,000 damage
    Toon 2 hits button 2 and does 100,000,000 damage
    The damage quotient here is 10x
    Scenario 2:
    Toon 1 hits button 1 and does 1,000 damage
    Toon 2 hits button 2 and does 100 damage
    The damage quotient here is 10x

I think that if you enjoy the game as it is, it doesn't matter which scenario it is. Comparing 9 billion to 10 billion DPS is the same as comparing 900 to 1,000. What I will definitely agree with, though, is the mindset that comes along with the larger numbers, as shown in Obano's post, can be damaging. I think that the mindset of "progression only comes from increases in perceived power" is bad for the overall atmosphere and is how we end up with the countless progression systems that we have now.

At the same time, I think this game is really good. I don't have any issues with it because to me, no, the larger numbers don't improve the experience but I also don't think that they actively hinder it. I think that in their current form, a lot of the progression systems aren't as bad as people say they are, and I feel like the larger numbers may contribute some to the way that the systems are perceived but not to how they actually operate. If the standard for potency is 100,000 and you're at 95,000, you would need 5,000 more. That looks daunting, but it's 5%.

In summary, I don't believe that the numbers matter to the overall enjoyment of the game positively or negatively, but they definitely change how people perceive certain systems.

That wasn't briefer, I lied.
    Juraiya and Cyrrena like this.
  16. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

I think a stat crunch and kill would have a couple of benefits. The smaller numbers are easier for a lot of people to comprehend conceptually and more appreciate gear upgrades when they get them.

A slot upgrade from 90 to 95 I think is easier to appreciate than an upgrade from 9000 to 9500.

I also think it'd make the game easier for devs to balance without having to resort to crutch gimmicks like resolve to artificially gate content.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  17. Dude Well-Known Member

I think a stat crunch would just move the decimal point. The game still has to consider all the content up to CD. So 90 to 95 might seem ok when going from level 110 to 120, but .0000000009 and .00000000095 as you're leveling up would not.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  18. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

I dunno in this case, while what you are saying definitely makes sense in as much as we all want to feel like we are accomplishing something there does seem to be more people who are saying that ..its too much, its wrong, we do not want it.

Will we get what we want?...most assuredly no, and they will lose a few folks who are just fed up.

Will the number of players increase on the next gimmick?... most assuredly yes, and then the masses die down and they are left with even less players than they started with.

Maybe they can do another one sided poll that is worded so it tells them what they want to hear...that has seemed to work really well, and the numbers are still diminishing..you would think someone would get a clue at some point.

There are things the majority wants, and there are things the majority doesn't want, why don't we just keep heading down the same path and see where we are in a couple more years.

Oh and why cant I access the burbs on live yet?
    Juraiya, Cyrrena, Rhodris and 2 others like this.
  19. Obano Well-Known Member

Pixistik, I am definitely against adding more gimmicks to the game because they just turn into more chores over time. There is already too much work do on live. The game should really stop pretending to be a JOB. I can't even find enough time to do it all. There is a difference between progression and bloat that just adds time and money sinks to the game. Six months or more to just level a mount is ridiculous. It is a gimmick. I want my character to become stronger but I don't want to waste thousands of hours doing it.
  20. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Yep, the live version of the game definitely suffers from system bloat. Dozens of systems and gimmicks stacked on top of each other from expansion to expansion, starting with Age of Discovery. It's what they do to avoid having to actually make enough content to last an entire expansion cycle while providing a new way to monetize the game.
    Breanna and Lateana like this.