Servers population

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by savemylife, Sep 11, 2019.

1. savemylife New Member

I'm currently playing on Skyfire and I'm looking for a server transfering to a more populated server.
    To track server population I use the link from main page https://www.daybreakgames.com/status?locale=en_US#eq2
    As far as I see Majul is the most populated server as it keeps "medium" population ~7-8 hours per day(in comparisson to Skyfire which does only ~2.5h).
    But I wonder if there is any better way to track server population? Or at least, what are "low", "medium", "high" borders?
    I'm just wondering if it's really worth spending 20k DBC and what real difference in server population do I get for it?
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Dockter Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a high population server for what its worth in years. Now their definition of high population also I'm sure has changed.

Take WoW Classic for example. Right now their servers can't handle the load, they have logon queues for hours. I would do just about anything to have the population like had back in 2008. I never agreed with the Free to Play, anything good is worth paying for and IMO eq2 is still good. Do I agree with ever development decision no, but I liked it enough to purchase 2 lifetime subscriptions....
    Cyrrena, Siren and Soara2 like this.
  3. savemylife New Member

The question is about the relative population. It doesn't make sense to compare current population with 2008's.

Just to be more clear I'll split my question:
    1) What are the ranges for "low", "medium", "high" server populations
    2) Is there any more accurate way to measure the population of the servers? My method is not accurate at all. Despite Skyfire is almost always on "low" population the difference between "medium" could be 10-30%(since I dont really know the numbers)
    Cyrrena, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  4. Breanna Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone knows the numbers except DBG and they aren't spilling.

Also as winter draws closer you will probably see the population rise a bit on all servers.
    Cyrrena, Geroblue, Dude and 3 others like this.
  5. Siren Well-Known Member

Nights of the Dead then Frostfell always bring the throngs back. But then the zones and servers start crashing. :p
    Argosunited, Hartay, Cyrrena and 3 others like this.
  6. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

There are numbers that I perhaps would not be too lazy to look at, but DBG knows little about it. This is age of those who play. For example, what do you think, which server is played mostly by middle-aged players, which has more older people, and where more youth? Don't answer this, let those who are interested in it try to figure it themselves out (when I wrote this message, search showed 78 players on server)
    Cyrrena likes this.
  7. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

aaa.. I forgot, when registering, we indicated year birth. Then they know, but they won’t say :p. We all told truth (or something like that), right?
    Cyrrena and Rosyposy like this.
  8. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

They don't sell our data anymore?
    Argosunited, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  9. Chronocide New Member

Bit of a thread necro, but it came up in my search engine when looking up this topic, so should be answered so the next person that asks has the answer.

https://mmo-population.com/r/eq2

So far, this month (Oct 6, 2020), only ~4000 players on EQ2. Or rather, there's about 2 high schools playing this game.

Every server is probably going to be pretty sparse for actual players. On the other hand, the players that are here and probably more enthusiastic about the game, as they aren't just playing because it's popular.
    Almee and Dude like this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

DBG doesn't release population numbers, and there are various reasons why you can't get a good count from the Census API or in-game (Player tags Roleplaying & Anonymous, /who results limited to 100, API rules, etc.) So I disbelieve the numbers that website is touting.

Maj'Dul currently has the highest population of the Live servers. Population is usually very good on the TLE servers, especially when they launch a new one. We always have a drop in population during the summers and have since the inception, population trends up when new expansions are released then taper off. The game is around 15years old, the company doesn't do much advertising.

We do get a trickle genuine new players coming in all the time (check the forums for the last couple of weeks and you'll see a few of them posting questions), but the current population is way down from the game's heyday, I'm pretty sure.

If you come in as a new player, look for a guild of people who have players that are active during whatever will be your primary play times. If you group with people who are in guilds and you like the people, ask them about their guilds and see if you might be able to join that guild. You can even find guilds that deliberately level lock and play lower levels here and there.

Most of the game population on the Live servers is at or near level 120 (end game). But you can solo any class all the way to 120, which is even easier if you hire a mercenary. The EQ2 Wiki is super helpful, especially the Solo Timeline. Being able to do this soloing gives you stuff to do when you don't have a group, or if you prefer to play solo, of course.
    Almee likes this.
  11. Chronocide New Member

It's also counting the entire month of Oct based on the activity accumulated by early in the morning on the 6th of the month...And the ~4000 is the average players per day, not the total players per day.

So, yeah, totally agree, it's probably a misleading number.

But in the absence of an official number released by the actual company, it's all we have and that's useful to at least get a ballpark.

And for a PC game that has been out since 2004, website saying it's rated in slot #67 of 129 in highest number of people online, it's an impressively high number, all things considered. Indicates a lasting quality to the game.

New player to the forum. An inexperienced player for EQ2, but not a new one. My account awards me with the 9 year veteran bonus for my level 12 characters...

Been a long while since I played EQ2 in earnest. Pretty sure it was subscription based, last time I played (prior to reinstalling it a day or so ago).
  12. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Heck, they're lagging and crashing now, haha
    Siren and Pixistik like this.
  13. Elskidorr Active Member

I would like to know how the site determines these populations. It has Eq2 at 4k, Everquest 50k, FF XIV 2.2 million and WoW at like 3.6 mil. I'm pretty sure WoW is waaay under a million at this point but no clue on FFXIV. EQ1, while much more populated than EQ2, 50k is hard to believe. Weirder yet, Pantheon has 11k players. When did this sucker launch and why didn't anyone let me know?
    Almee likes this.
  14. docsam Member

came back to wow for the expansion and due to cost of transfer playing on 3 eu servers to see which class i like since been a while and all jam packed so yes 3.6m maybe possible
  15. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

16. Smashey Well-Known Member

That's because all the sites linked here use social media numbers. They take facebook followers and sub reddit numbers and try to calculate it. You can't use them for a damn thing.

There is no reason to believe eq2 has more than a few thousand players and maybe less than a thousand people who still oplays eq2 to raid. the progression has 69 guilds that have killed a raid mob in Luclin. If we say all those guilds have no alts and no one is in multiple guilds playing and on different chars and have 28 active raiders, that's around 1680 people in total that have killed a raid mob in Luclin.

Feldon tried to track non-unique (Which is ALL character searches) eq2u lookups last year and he tried again this year, but someone has created a bot that completely screw up his numbers. Now I am no conspiracy theorist but its funny that it happen after he released his first graph.

These numbers are the closest we will come to any sort of data about the EQ2 playerbase and while its impossible to say how many there are, you see a clear drop in lookups throughout the years.

It also shows what most people are saying, the last three expansions were horrible.

[IMG]
  17. Feldon Well-Known Member

Just to be absolutely clear, this is how many characters were looked up on EQ2U on a monthly basis.
    Smashey likes this.
  18. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

don’t understand how can know, even very, very approximately, what percentage of those who play eqii are watching eq2u site? if tell me that it's 1 percent, i will not object; if they say 90, i will not object either (because there is nothing to object). what's use of such statistics? i wouldn't even be surprised if i find out that most of those who look at this site don't play this game at all. because site itself is very interesting and well done. maybe it's watched mainly by Wow players who are interested in this game?

also

eq2u didn't show and doesn't show anyone of my toons (although i play this game too. how many times have i written that, i wonder?). i wonder in this regard, how many characters that eq2u doesn't shows? given paranoia about privacy in recent years.
    for example, in game (on server ab), some players don't allow viewing level, class and location (by set rp flag) for about third of characters. this trend lasts for months if not years on ab. although i think that in most cases there is no understandable need for this, because in any case, as rule, no one don't care about other players. all have their own fellowship circles. although some players thereby deprive themselves of opportunity get something from propitiousness of others players (for example, to receive scroll for studying master/grandmaster spell)
    Siren and Hartsmith like this.
  19. Elskidorr Active Member

20. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places