I guess it's time to give up......

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Leloes, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Finora Well-Known Member

Just a general FYI, you could probably run Eq2 from a USB flash drive too, and last time I was in Wal-Mart they had some 32 GB ones for like $7-15.
    Soara2, Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  2. Leloes Well-Known Member

Hmmmm....maybe I'll have to check that out. My biggest problem is getting to Walmart. Plus right now I'm waiting to receive my new card with my SS on it.
  3. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

I don’t know for sure, see at this - https://www.hdd-tool.com/windows-10/how-to-fix-low-disk-space-issue.html (if I had access to your computer I would perhaps quickly understand what your problem is. Don’t give anyone access! Except Microsoft of course).
    Also, don't forget to monitor health of your hdd (see hier - https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testing-programs-2626183) in order to plan acquisition of new one on time (these discs are not eternal). In addition, there are many ways to increase lifespan of your hdd. Main thing is to make most tasks (such as an Internet browser) use RAM that lives longer. In addition, with your amount of RAM (16 GB you specified), you can very well refuse to use Windows swap file. It will also increase life of your hdd
    And use of full game client, of course, will also increase life of your drive
    Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  4. Leloes Well-Known Member

Computers usually last about 5+ years for me. I've never had to replace my HDD on any computer I've owned. Basically I've stripped this laptop of everything I don't consider essential to run it. Since I only game and use the internet with it that's almost everything.:)
  5. Bhayar Well-Known Member

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is what A/V software you're using, if any. If you have it, make sure it's being updated. That should be something you're doing on a regular basis. Mine updates several times a week. If you have it and you're not updating, that could be part of the problem.
  6. Leloes Well-Known Member

I update all my drivers at least once every couple of weeks so I don't think that's the problem.
  7. Nelenerap Member

If you have a mailing address, message it to me and I'll send you a new flash drive so you can download the full game.
    Soara2, Leloes, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  8. Leloes Well-Known Member

Sent you a message.:)
  9. Bhayar Well-Known Member

That's potentially your first problem--especially where your Anti-Virus software is concerned. I check mine every day and I usually have 2-3 updates a week. If you're running Windows Defender, maybe not, but I'd still recommend you check, at a minimum, once a week.
  10. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Indeed, hdd that are installed in laptops are made so that they have a much longer service life than those for desktops. This has been so for many years and so now.
    Flash drives as an additional disk can have very different read/write speeds depending on type of file system. They work most quickly with exFat file system. Windows will make your exFat flash drive per second and you will play comfortably (without noticeable delays), especially if it's flash drive for usb3
  11. Leloes Well-Known Member

I was using Norton but I've never liked it. It was constantly blocking everything. I usually check my current antivirus at least once a week. Sometimes more often than that.
  12. Leloes Well-Known Member

I don't know much about flash drives so I'll have to take your word for it.:)
  13. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

I too didn't immediately find out. And was surprised when he discovered this fact (for reference - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT) :)
  14. Leloes Well-Known Member

That's all greek to me!:confused:
  15. Leloes Well-Known Member

Just found out my brother is having AT&T come in on Friday and see if they can't hook up a modem. Not sure how this is going to work considering we don't even have a landline!:eek:o_O
    Soara2, Finora, Rosyposy and 2 others like this.
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Check the amount of free space on your hard drive.

Mine is a terabye with 204 gigs free. Gigs free, not megs free.

Sigh, my first hard drive was 52 megs so those measurements keep creeping back in to various posts and some conversations.
  17. Leloes Well-Known Member

After all the emptying of extra useless crud yesterday I currently have 79 gb on my HDD. But I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow and see what AT&T does. I really think Verizon is throttling me even though I have unlimited.:eek:
  18. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Unlimited does sometimes mean something other than what the dictionary says it means.

And I really meant to type 204 gigs free, not 204 megs free.
  19. Leloes Well-Known Member

So I've become aware of that. Seems Verizon looks at "unlimited" as meaning unlimited until we think you are getting too much data then we start slowing you down. I never had that problem with AT&T. I kind of got that you meant gb not mb.
  20. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Okay... I ate some food last night that is spicier than I like and its affected me in unpleasant ways. Misstyping is one of them. Of course, I make typos without the spicey food.
    Soara2, Breanna, Rhodris and 2 others like this.