Are the dev's doing anything to bring back there old subscriber base?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Kamapoipoi, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Kamapoipoi New Member

Info about myself: I started to play eq2 back in beta and up to ROK.

Now I know everyone has there own opinions and that maybe the current eq2 is fun and enjoyable. But what about the people that left at a certain point due too expansions, qol, or any other additions to the game? Is it all just about selling krono? Making just mediocre expansions? What is the future of this game and most importantly the future of the Everquest series?

Has there been talks of going back to old builds of the game to bring back those who would be content at stopping at a selected Expansion/ Build?
    SevenShadows and Soara2 like this.
  2. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

They are not, if anything they damage the lower levels almost every time they make an adjustment for something else.
    Juraiya, Bella222, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Kamapoipoi New Member

That's the trend I noticed. Also if the servers are their answer then I guess they have no clue.
    Soara2 likes this.
  4. Kamapoipoi New Member

Tle*
    Soara2 likes this.
  5. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

Honestly? To bring back a lot of people they don't even have to put out some "love letter" project a la Classic that will consume a good amount of resources to actively manage.

All they have to do is make a Rogue a Rogue again. And a Fighter a Fighter. We don't all need to be mages with 3 second cast bars hurling giant meteors and frozen boulders everywhere.

If they kick Ascensions, a good portion of the people who liked pre-Ascension class design would be willing to return.
  6. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Its a trend yes, and I am sure they do have a clue, they just dont have the manpower to do things the way they should be done, part of me feels sorry for the burden they bare, the other part of me says..I told you so.

Doesn't matter what we think tho, its being steered in a direction by unseen forces at this point and no amount of bickering about it is going to change anything we think in another direction, its their game and they have every right to move it the way they deem it best.
    When all the servers finally merge into one it will be me there cheering..I told you so.;)
  7. Balrin Member-Antonia Bayle server EU play time

Im liking kaladim alot as a newish player :)
    Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  8. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

I think in their minds, that's what TLEs are for. Without addressing the issues that caused people to leave, people won't come back. For me to play a live server again that would be a removal of resolve, fervor, and ascensions and a back to basics approach built around archetype roles. Couple that with the fact I just don't trust Daybreak and as a company I think they're kinda scummy. They need to seriously rehabilitate their image with gamers.
    Juraiya, GrunEQ, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  9. Lysia Active Member

for me to TRULY come back and STAY here -- quit messing up crafters -- and get ride of resolve, fervor, potency, and ascensions -- and any other gobbley- **** they added after Velious ... last good expansion ( well, not counting Sentinals Fate)
    make crafting FUN like it used to be -- and let us get recipes on the broker again ( I don't raid and it killed the usefulness of my adorner)
    Oh that too -- please no more changing adornments -- THAT messed the game too -- that and all that endless new kinds of money every expansion ( yes, lots and lots of reasons I don't pay to play anymore -- just solo and that is all I feel like doing)
  10. Revel Well-Known Member

No, the game has been in pure milk mode for 5 years now. SOE being sold to venture capitalists and having all decisions revolve around pleasing shareholders instead of good game design was the final nail in the coffin as they chase the micro transaction system.

I find myself gaming less and less and honestly hope a massive video game crash like the early 80s comes again and decimates companies like EA and Actiblizzard who pioneered p2w so that something better can eventually rise from the ashes.
  11. Melt Actually plays the game

It's great when people complain about ascensions and as a templar with grandmaster ascensions my top parsing ability still isnt an ascension
    Juraiya, Soara2 and Dude like this.
  12. Dead Alt Account Well-Known Member

They'll never revert the game back to what it was because they cannot and will not admit they made a mistake.
  13. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

That pretty much sums it up
    Soara2 and Dead Alt Account like this.
  14. Kamapoipoi New Member

My questions have been answered. Thanks everyone.
    Soara2 likes this.
  15. Obano Well-Known Member

It has been about 7 months since I came back and I still haven't gotten a superior or greater energy fragment to drop. I have seen 4 lesser fragments but nothing beyond that. You have to be really dedicated if you want to come back to this game. Basically takes six months to a year of steady game play for a returning player to become relevant again.

Upgrading ascensions to even to celestial level has been a cake walk compared to doing epic 2.0 upgrades. It is greatest barrier to entry for returning players. I just spent 90 minutes trying to 3 man the Kylong Public quest which of course didn't drop anything. All junk for all three of us. Daybreak wants us to spend cash on the upgrades but that is really NOT how you make money. It just drives players away before they spend any real money on the game.

Daybreak is a penny wise and pound foolish.
  16. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Daybreak does nothing to engender that level of immediate dedication in a returning player. A returning player is likely dipping their toes in to see how it feels first before making a commitment. Looking at that level of dedication and commitment ahead of them is more likely than not going to make a potentially returning player go, "F- that, I'll play something else." People's time is a valuable commodity.

I'll use myself as an example. On average I can game 3-4 hours a night. Looking at games of potential interest to me I get to make a choice between:

• EQ2: Live
    • EQ2: TLE
    • COH: Homecoming
    • DAOC: Uthgard
    • WoW Classic
    • P99: Green (in a month or so)

All of these games are going to give me more or less the same level of entertainment. EQ2: Live is going to take me a considerable amount of time to get to where I'm enjoying the game, whereas with the rest it's pretty much an immediate return on my time investment. Guess which option is getting crossed off my list first.
    SevenShadows, Juraiya and Soara2 like this.
  17. Dude Well-Known Member

And yet here you are.
    Soara2, Breanna, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  18. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

I play on TLE, not live. But I'm probably letting that sub expire once it's up since Daybreak has its "Set it and forget it" dev approach to it. Then like a case of battered woman syndrome I'll be back to try the next one.
    Soara2 and Pixistik like this.
  19. Dude Well-Known Member

For me the overwhelming "problem" is that I think EQ2 is still the best game on the market. Of the games you listed, I immediately eliminated the two player run games and I think WoW is a terrible game. I don't know anything about DAOC. I tried ESO, but really hated they way movement works. BDO and FFXIV might be ok if I could get past the anime. SWTOR is ok, but I prefer the fantasy genre. That pretty much leaves EQ2.

As far as games coming out, the two or three that people talk about might turn out to be ok, but that's if they come out and that won't be for years. Again, that pretty much leaves EQ2.
    ConcealFate, Soara2, Breanna and 3 others like this.
  20. Melt Actually plays the game

Have you tried PoP raid weeklies for fragments? They are heirloom now so super easy to farm. I've one grouped all of the T1s and T2s for PoP, gotten a fragment each time. Greaters all.