Dorian Hurricane

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Aneylee, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I was rudely awoken waaay too early in the morning in January of 1994 (MLK Jr. Day, if memory serves...just as well, it being a Monday holiday, there were a lot less people on the road than there could've been... :-/) by a bad earthquake in Northridge..and after the one in Coalinga in the 80s, I was no longer quite so blasé about them. :-/ In order to get to work, I had to drive over (or under, for the long way around, but still...bridges) my choice of two bridges, at a time when entire freeway overpasses were coming down. I'd called in just to see if we were still required to come in, and got told:

"Of course. What's wrong with you? It's just an earthquake." [a 6.7, that wasn't an ordinary smooth long roller, but a straight UP, straight DOWN one that had chopped up freeways and killed people]
    "Well, the roads from my place to work might not be safe."
    "So?"

Guess everyone else there lived on the same side as the workplace and had no sympathy whatsoever. :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  2. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I've never understood managers and others who are so blase' about disasters.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.
  3. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I remember the Northridge earthquake well. We were living in Riverside County, and it was strong there, and it broke windows at my husband's job in Norwalk. I'd still rather brave an earthquake than a tornado - those scare me!
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Tornadoes can give warning via sirens; however, earthquakes happen with no warning.

Hurricanes and other tropical weather do get warnings; however, I have seen them just form right off the coast on the Gulf of Mexico. Sits out there for a day, and then comes ashore, but I think those are rare.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yee gods, me too. :-/

I think one of the scariest parts of it for me involves having to get down in a basement or storm cellar to really be "safe"(-ish) from them; all that house over my head, with an undermined foundation... :eek:

Uwk
    who, as a kid, was living in a pickup truck-mounted camper (all the amenities except for a shower! It was actually really awesome, when you're a kid ;->) in the Midwest during the proverbial Dark and Stormy Night...my mom was watching the weather report on our li'l black and white portable TV and opened up the back door to look outside at what she thought was a freight train roaring past, except -- we weren't anywhere near any train tracks, and were only 1/4 mile in from the road...the next day, when everything had calmed down, anything that was on the road had been lifted and flung about by the tornado that had used it as a convenient pathway :-/
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

They might be getting more common these days... :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.