Dorian Hurricane

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Aneylee, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Aneylee Well-Known Member

What about this crazy storm?

I wanted to do a check in and make sure that all that will be in the maybe zones are prepared and ready.

My parents are in Brunswick GA, and not leaving, but they are prepared. (Can not tell your parents anything!)

Please list here if you are in the storm's path so we know to keep an eye out for you!! We all want to be here if you need anything that we can do. I just want to make sure everyone is safe.

I am sure you know to fill up those cars and gas cans as well as stock up on water and canned goods. If you are lucky enough to have a generator, awesome. Make sure to make the right decision for your family as far as staying or leaving.

But please check in here as you can.

Thanks!

Aney~
    Kittybock, Cyrrena, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I'm lucky-ish; when our disasters hit, unless it's a fire or a mud slide, we get no advance warning...which makes life in California exciting, ya gotta admit. :-/

Crossing kitteh fingers for all those on the Other Coast that they all pull through it all right! :)

Uwk
    Kittybock, Juraiya, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  3. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Not in the path, but may get some outlying rain. Maybe.

National Hurricane Center site. Scroll down and click on the smaller maps; they get bigger; for wind, path, rain potential, etc. I started looking at this site years ago, when web pages came out, as I was living in a hurricane zone on the Gulf of Mexico.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

A close friend from AB, Maehros was on evacuation alert a few days ago which was the last time I spoke to him. I have no idea if he had to evac or not. I do hope he is alright. Love you Mae and hope you are safe and sound!!
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

When I lost the Internet for 2-3 weeks not too long ago, I immediately got in touch with a friend here in a PM once I got it back to exchange phone numbers, if nothing else for texting purposes. If the weather trends continue as they seem likely to, we might want to include folks here for emergency contacts (email/cell phone/etc.).

Granted, we here will probably be lower on the priority list than, say, family members or bosses, but at least it'd be something. ;->

Uwk
    Kittybock, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

A bit inland, but close enough to the coast we will likely get a lot of rain, wind, and some flooding. Getting supplies ready in case those closer to the storm need it again. Or heck, if it goes nuts and runs inland and we need it.

Hoping this bugger turns sharper out into the Atlantic as it comes up the coast. Parts of my state are still recovering from Florence and Michael, they don't need more slow moving hurricanes.
    Kittybock, Cyrrena, Juraiya and 2 others like this.
  7. Geroblue Well-Known Member

There is a front of some sort, I forget if its rainy or dry, coming in from the northwest. That could shove it out into the Atlantic. Maybe.
  8. Aneylee Well-Known Member

I am hoping for the best!!
    Kittybock, Cyrrena, Geroblue and 2 others like this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Me too; all other concerns aside, there's a business I have to get in touch with by the 6th, and they're based in Florida... :-/

The last couple of times I tried calling, got an automated message saying they'd be closed "due to inclement weather" until the 4th (today, but still got the message. Could've been since I was calling after 3 pm PT, and that's their new "we're closed, silly, try again tomorrow morning" recording).

Hope they're okay, too! :-/

Uwk
    Kittybock, Cyrrena, Geroblue and 2 others like this.
  10. Finora Well-Known Member

I'd definitely try calling earlier in the day. A lot of places would be closed by 5 pm eastern and gone home by 6 pm.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yep! Managed to get in this morning, and they all seemed pretty relaxed in Florida...probably because Dorian swerved and was last seen (by me, anyway) heading up the East Coast. :-/

Uwk
    who last knew it to be a Category 2?
  12. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Hitting North Carolina and Virginia this morning. Grinding on land weakens it.

Still causing flooding there. Cape Hatteras area barrier islands are taking a pounding.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

One of the main reasons for conserving barrier islands. They literally provide a barrier, a protection, from storms like this. :-/

Uwk
  14. Faelan Active Member

Happy to see it didn't turn out as bad as it could have, but still got a bit rough with the rain here and there in the states from what I've heard.. Have friend in the Bahamas, as well as friends with relatives in the Bahamas, haven't heard from either yet, but death toll is low so far, so hopeful it's just a communications thing. Went through Michael, so know how it goes on that end. This has certainly been an interesting one!
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Sadly. Official death toll in the Bahamas is at 30.
  16. Breanna Well-Known Member

They say it is rising also. People are finding bodies in their yards when they return home. They just said the death toll is higher than what they know so far.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Gah...holding out hope for your friends, Faelan; I've heard that there are many cruise ships heading for the area to help out. :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

If it helps at all, if you're an Amazon.com shopper, they have several ways for you to donate to various charities safely (they already have your payment info there, they don't have to share it out with anyone you don't know). I remember when Haiti got hit by both a hurricane AND an earthquake (makes ya wonder what those folks did to deserve all that attention... :-/), back when it was still SOE running the show here; we could spend $10 on a special Appearance set of armor and it would be considered a relief donation to.....the Red Cross? Whatever, someone known and recognized. When the tsunami hit Japan, the Marketplace had a special offer there, too, but I haven't seen anything since. :-/

Too many disasters hitting too frequently, probably. :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  19. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

My friend Maehros in Florida did not have to evacuate as it downgraded to a Category 2 by the time it hit his area. But where he works demanded that the employees still report to work even though the City/State were telling people to stay home and off the roads. So he works at Cracker Barrel, I will never patronize that place again since they value profits over employee safety!!

Love you Mae and am so happy you are safe irregardless of your employers demands.
  20. Geroblue Well-Known Member

One employer told me I had to report back to work in 7 days after Katrina. I laughed and said that if a State Trooper points a pistol at me and tells me to turn around, I'll turn around.

I was told to find a secondary road. I replied that I don't have a chain saw, and smiled.

My manager told that person to get out of the computer room, they weren't authorized to be there.

I said something about 'gee boss, I wanna be a millionaire...'.

He asked me to please let it go.

About an hour later the owner said no way, don't come back until the roads are clear and the police/Emergency Services, etc. says its okay.