Captcha on Forum Login

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Orionza, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Orionza Active Member

I'm requesting to make the captcha signin better for users with Accessibility issues. I cannot hardly ever see these pictures properly. I have to go through three sets of pictures or more before I get them all right. It's very frustrating for me because I cannot see properly. Like, just now, I had to pick out pictures of bicycles. I could only see one bicycle. But there were several. I could not see them because they were so tiny and dark. Do we really need this method to prove that we are not human? The numbers and letters captcha process is just as bad. I couldn't ever get that right when I didn't have vision issues. This is too much hassle to login to anything, let alone a forum.

Could you PLEASE look into a better method for us logging in? I know we need to prove we're a person. That's fine. I'm all for security and 2FA and everything. But when I am locked out of logging into the forum because I have vision issues, because I can't see the freaking pictures you are making me choose tiny items out of, it doesn't seem fair. I know I'm not the only one who has problems with this, and we have a lot of older players in this game. There have got to be other more modern and considerate methods that can be used. I hope DBG can adopt them and not use this old crappy authentication technology. Thank you for listening and for your consideration.
  2. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I don't that that an eye problem, but if it asks for palm trees and I see only two pictures with those trees clearly shown, I click on verify anyway.

I have gotten from 2 to 6 picures that fit.

Ones off in the picture distance, I don't try. I either click skip, or verify. Then the software and I start over.

I remember back when the Macintosh I computer came out. A well known sf author, and scientist, said he knew that no one over 40 years of age had worked on the computer. An Apple employee asked him how he knew ? He replied that if there were, the fonts would be larger.

I don't think its too much to ask to improve captcha either. Some are clear, some the photos are fuzzy so much it looks like someone fell asleep in photo class and then tried to develop the film. It looks like dirt go all over the pictures. Rather difficult on a few logins from time to time to even determine what is on all of the pictures.
  3. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

They can (I sure) make it possible to enter forum without captcha recognition for accounts that are simultaneously in game. By checking (automatically) identification by ip-address, etc. Users who don't want/cannot recognize captcha will then have to use same login/password to enter forum as to enter game (being in game, minimizing window with game). Everything is simple, there would be a desire.
  4. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I find it difficult when they use American terms for the items requested. It took me a long time to figure out what a "cross walk" was (they are called 'pedestrian crossings' in my country). And traffic lights do NOT hang from overhead wires here, either!
  5. Avithax Well-Known Member

You used to know you played too much when people walking down the street started getting health bars above their head. Now it's the urge to click on every crosswalk, palm tree and fire hydrant you see!
  6. Avithax Well-Known Member

That's the only way to keep the Ratongas from stealing the lightbulbs.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I too was frustrated by the stupid Captcha pictures (which bots have been able to BREAK since 2017...), so if you look at the sign-in area, below the "Select all those with a dust mote! What, you can't? Well, it's supposed to be hard. Your fault if you can't do it, you bad person, you." images, there's an icon of a set of head phones. Click on that, it will bring up an audio test. If you get it wrong at first (some are really garbled), you can keep requesting a new one until you get a nice, clear, sometimes LOUD (careful! :-/) phrase or two that you can enter. :)

Saved my sanity! I almost always go straight to that one now. :D

Uwk
    Breanna, Rosyposy and Cyrrena like this.
  8. Beee Well-Known Member

Whyever I only get the capturecheck when i'm using InternetExplorer.
    No capturecheck on cellphone browser or Edge
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I get it on Firefox on my desktop. :-/

Uwk
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  10. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I usually get only the checkbox; on the odd occasion when I do get the pictures, I refresh the page and then usually get only the checkbox. (This is on Chrome - I much prefer Firefox, but when it stopped opening Facebook and my bank's website, I switched.)
  11. Prox Well-Known Member

I find if you do the checkbox first ,before entering username or password. Never have to deal with the captcha
  12. Breanna Well-Known Member

OOOO I'm going to try that.
    Cyrrena, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Dude like this.
  13. Bella222 Active Member

I agree, I have had to do the captcha two or 3 times many times. Aggravating!
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  14. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Tried this - didn't work. Got the pictures as soon as I did the checkbox, without doing anything else first.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Audio clue to the rescue. :)

Since everyone's spelling on the 'Net, just about, is so atrocious, it has to take whatever's typed in, if it's anywhere even close. ;->

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Stupid one today. Wanted me to click on all traffic lights. There weren't any, but there were railroad crossing lights. Not the same thing. Clicked on them anyway, it said try again.
    Breanna likes this.
  17. Tajar Well-Known Member

I don't see any of these pictures? I just have to tick a box that says "I am not a robot" and it lets me in.
  18. Avithax Well-Known Member

I believe there's some kind of setting that recognizes your IP address or sets a cookie so all you have to do is hit the checkbox. I've noticed on my laptop that after a couple dozen logins I didn't have to click images anymore. My Gaming PC however never had that happen and I wound up just installing a captcha solving plugin on Mozilla.
    Breanna likes this.
  19. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Ty Avithax, but what is this plugin named?
    By the way, I found that Dropbox has much more convenient entry. You just need to, by placing mouse cursor on arrow to right or left of animal’s figure, align this figure. And nothing needs to be recognize. Take a look at Dropbox website (https://www.dropbox.com/) and you will see how much more convenient verification is implemented there for users. I would name it friendly gesture and not mockery with guessing something incomprehensible, like here now
    Rosyposy likes this.
  20. Avithax Well-Known Member

Google is your friend, it's probably not a good idea to promote a specific one of the many add-ons for the various web browsers. Best advice I can give is if you look into them stay away from the ones that use wordpress.