Do your mercs do things to tick you off ?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Geroblue, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Well, that takes a small explanation.

Jennis and one of my characters was taking on the smaller rock constructions in Butcherblock.

I was tired of practially never getting in damage to them, I could hit the mob and start them over to us, and the merc would kill them before I could get a second shot in.

So, I used Thunderbolt on one. Aha I thought.

As it came barreling at my merc and my character, Jennis looked at my character, raised his left arm, and blew up the rock construction coming at him and my character with a bigger lightning bolt.

Looked at the wreckage of the mob, looked at my character, and I am almost positive he smiled at my character.

It was like 'Yeah, I can do that to. Watch this.'.

So whomever thought this up at Daybreak, its funny. Sort of.

So now I just adventure with mercs, get the attention of the mob, and mostly let the merc finish them off. Although he does sometimes need some assistance.

Just commenting, not a question.

Wait, I do have a question.

Any of you notice anything similar to this ?
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

At lower levels, you get power leveled by your merc. At higher levels (90+), mercs do no dps worth mentioning.
    Soara2, Quillyne, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  3. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Ah, interesting to know.
    Soara2, Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

You will find along the way, if you use a healer merc and you have it set to assist, that it will stand there and watch you die and then stand there and look at your corpse instead of rezzing you. A lot of the healer mercs, if they are not set to passive, will refuse to do their job.
  5. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Interesting as in EQ passive means they do nothing. Well, they might defend themselves, but thats it.
    Cyrrena, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  6. Koren Member

I have one healer merc who just refuse to heal most of the time. She’d rather use her crossbow than to do her main job. I’m yelling at the screen, ‘heal you stupid merc’. Though she’ll cure no problem, but it takes forever for heal to cast a heal. And when she’s not fighting, she’ll just stand there looking around while we are fighting. Sometimes I think she actually has a mind of her own.
  7. Raff Well-Known Member

Zughrus fights while I die. The only way I can get a rez / heal / cure from that fool is to shift him into neutral & let the mobs beat on him a bit.

Then he'll rez / heal / cure me.

Oqdan is much better.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I have noticed similar problems on EQ. Saaaaaad.
    Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  9. Breanna Well-Known Member

I never had any problems with Zurg when I was using him. I use Evania now on pretty much every one and she is most awesome.
  10. Avithax Well-Known Member

At an early age children should learn to craft and level up toons. When they're adventuring you can let them choose and name a merc as their friend who will loyally follow them and fight with them. They will even sit down next to them while they are playing "restock the broker" with consumables!! (I'm joking btw, kids are slow at leveling)
  11. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I don't use the mercenaries, mainly b/c the hardest thing I do is run the sig line to open zones for later in life and I group 2 characters that mess and my son has to hop on one to get me through most the time. Blasted carpel tunnel!
    Schmetterling, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  12. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

The habit of most melee mercs to stand .00000000001 millimeters outside of attack range is pretty annoying lol.
    You sometimes have to grab agro yourself, run like mad with angry mobs in hot pursuit, right up to your merc to finish them off. Sometimes when the merc sees you coming their way they actually run further back! So with my lower level toons i just adopted a "circle pattern" when fighting.

With my higher characters I just use healer mercs on passive to heal, cure and rez. Raffik is my favorite. Although Oqdan isn't bad.
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Koren like this.
  13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I use Evania all the time as well. She likes to pummel everything into an unrecognizable state but still takes the time to heal, cure, and rez if needed.
    Rhodris, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  14. Svenone Well-Known Member

I use passive healer mercs, but they still like to feign ignorance of my plight because a speck of dust blocked their line of sight. And heaven forbid that I have the merc actually fight, because there is a high chance that they will "forget" to rez a fallen comrad (ME!). And there are the times where I am killed, the merc rezes me, I die again almost instantly and then the merc is like "Nope, you don't get a second one, you looser."
    Soara2, ConcealFate and Cyrrena like this.
  15. Bludd Well-Known Member

there is a cooldown on rez you know, mercs have to abide by that cooldown
  16. Svenone Well-Known Member

Fine, but how about after the cooldown timer has expired? Apparently the merc code does not check to see if old corpses are present, only (very) recent ones.
    Cyrrena, ConcealFate and Soara2 like this.
  17. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Not every merc that heals can rez, is one important thing to know. Also, if you have the merc set to assist you, they're likely to prioritize fighting over healing/cures/rezzes.

Another possible problem is line of sight. Can the mercs toes "see" your toes? EQ2's well-known foot fetish comes into play there.
    Soara2, Breanna, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  18. Seefar Well-Known Member

... which is a serious problem with mercs as it means that you don't learn how to play the character, so you're less effective when it comes time to group.
    Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  19. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I don't get a merc right away, but I understand your point.
  20. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

those mercs are all nuts, I have to say there is something about's ratongas they's are brave like Stumper
    that little guy fights , and heals really good , but they are all nuts. you call them to you and they bring the whole zone with them. and after you maybe kill those all he runs back for more .