EQ+Planetside studio splits, +Player Studio closure

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Siren, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Siren Well-Known Member

So, there are new trademarks for Darkpaw Games (EQ franchise split?) and Rogue Planet Games (Planetside franchise split?). There was already a Bronze Age Studios trademark applied for, too, a while back ago (the bronze age of comics, meaning DCUO?).

So are all the Daybreak teams splitting into different dev teams and publishers now, or is Daybreak still publishing all of these games but splitting the teams up further for some reason? What's going on, and why has there been no public announcement about any of this yet I wonder?

https://massivelyop.com/2019/07/10/trademarks-hint-at-big-changes-for-daybreak-game-company/

And Player Studio has been shut down for EQ1 & EQ2-- I never saw any announcement for that, either, jeez.

https://massivelyop.com/2019/07/11/...s-quietly-shuttered-it-for-everquest-instead/
    Jaden, Cyrrena, Xevran and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

I was waiting for someone to post about this. o_O..

Most likely Daybreak will be the head, and these would be "branches". But if anything, I would assume this would be beneficial to each franchise. Time will tell I suppose.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  3. Xevran Well-Known Member

Kind of weird for something like this to happen without a single word from the company. Communication has always been a huge issue for Daybreak/SOE though so I'm not surprised.

I don't really know what benefit there would be to splitting things up like this, unless they plan on shifting Daybreak into a bigger publishing role and they want their development studios separate from the publishing side of things. Who knows though.
    Siren likes this.
  4. Drazia New Member

There was a thread about this that disappeared. hmmmm...
  5. Alarra Well-Known Member

As this thread gives unfavourable press it will likely be deleted, but this company always scuttles in the shadows and makes a statement about it 10 days after the actual deed has been fully finalized.
    I won't expect to hear much from them until things are in stone and irreversibly set.
  6. Xianthia Well-Known Member

Siren likes this.
  7. feldwebel87 Active Member

This seems a bit concerning.
  8. EvilRade New Member

I guess they are going to sell some (or all) franchises with dev teams. It is easier to find customers for separate assets than the whole company and get more money.
    Jaden, Rhodris and Rosyposy like this.
  9. feldwebel87 Active Member

Selling the game just when I started playing? SMDH just my luck if true. There's supposed to be an expansion this year too.
  10. Siren Well-Known Member

I wonder what will become of all the "lifetime subs" Daybreak sold only this past Christmas holiday season (including LoTRO and DDO).

They really need to publicly address this issue and put peoples' minds at rest.
    Mizgamer62, Feldon, Xevran and 3 others like this.
  11. Dude Well-Known Member

To me this is THE big question. The break even point was about 25 months, but that was only 8 months ago.
    Rhodris and Breanna like this.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

At this point everything is speculation. Nobody knows that anything is being sold. To throw reasons for what is or has occurred with no knowledge of the actual reason is irresponsible and detrimental whether you intend it to be or not. I am not addressing this at you specifically Dude, just replying to the last post in the thread, and you know I love you so I would never dress you down publicly.

If you have concerns regarding these corporate changes, you would do better to address them to either the corporate officers or to the Sharks err Investment Capitalists that control them. I will almost guarantee you that nobody at DBG has the authority to address any of this with the player base especially on the forums. But they are incorporated and as such their incorporation documents are publicly filed, and therefore you have access to the names and contact information for corporate officers. Utilize that information and put your minds at rest. Get the information you desire in writing and then share that, then you are being responsible and not detrimental.
    Siren likes this.
  13. Dude Well-Known Member

Or I could just ask for information on the official forums of the game I play.
    Vandrago, Siren, Cyrrena and 4 others like this.
  14. Feldon Well-Known Member

If a few players speculating on the forums about what these trademark filings mean for the game causes any measurable harm to the company, then things are far more fragile than once thought.
    Siren, Cyrrena, Loresinger and 8 others like this.
  15. Castegyre Well-Known Member

All that needs to be done is to have someone at the company, someone who actually knows what is going on, to give a clear, concise, honest explanation of the situation. If they wanted their customers to be informed and feel secure with the situation I see no reason why they wouldn't do this.
    Loresinger, Siren, Rhodris and 3 others like this.
  16. Crock Member

Inernationally... what is Daybreak Games? Anybody still seriously cares? EQ2-wise, well, if you love the game, you hold on. Or move to more successful brands, like ESO.
  17. Raff Well-Known Member

ESO is a hot mess. Even if DBC did fold, ESO wouldn't even make the list of viable replacements. Horrible game.

I don't know where all of this is going to go.. But it doesn't read like a sunset. It reads more like a reorganization of mgmt priorities while the various games development continues.
    Siren, Obano, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  18. Alarra Well-Known Member