Is this a bug, mistake, or Tailor thing? Can't make whips past Tier 9...

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

...and I have alts willing to use whips (because rare Pelts are so much easier to find than rare Hard Metals, that's why), but there's no Weaponsmith recipes for them past level 89? :(

Do Tailors get them instead? It would make sense, since whips are made of leather... ;->

Uwk
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  2. Avithax Well-Known Member

The only leather weapons I know of are the ranged ones the tailor makes. I have all the recipes for both WS and Tailor and I don't see whips, or maybe i'm missing them?

Perhaps a nice pair of handcuffs and a ball gag would suffice?
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

You might be, 'cause they're there in the Weaponsmith list until the end of the 80s (Tier 9). :-/

LOL! Yeah, I double-checked with my Tailor after this post, and he can't make whips beyond Tier 2. ;->

The main reason for them, imho, is because rare Pelts are easier to find and in greater supply, apparently, than rare Hard (aka Real) Metals for weapons. ;->

Uwk
    whose Scouts and Channelers are going to be very disappointed when they hit their 90s...hopefully, it'll either be fixed by then, or there might be wooden weapons that will work as well (whips being considered slashing weapons, so my poor Scouts would be SoL [wooden weapons are almost all bludgeoning]); finding rare Wood's still easier than rare Hard Metal :-/
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  4. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Yes, it seems illogical that tailors know how to make whips first, and then forget about it. https://runescape.wiki/w/File:Energy_Drain.gif
    But there is a solution! Put the whip in appearance!
  5. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Why tailors from outfitters? Blacksmiths and armorers are more likely to deal with metal, tailors are more engaged in leather
  6. Geroblue Well-Known Member

In ancient times, some whips did have metal tips, instead of leather. Middle Ages and before, but those eras I don't know lots about.
  7. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Avithax Well-Known Member

That's Roman Era, biblical weapons known as Flagrums or Flagellums which were whips with lead beads at the end. Much earlier versions just had the tips dipped in molten lead. Most commonly used by raid leaders on everyone after a stupid wipe.
    Cyrrena, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Dude like this.
  9. Crock Member

From my memory, "whip" kind of weapons have been soo in the past, and entirely overlooked for many years. Unique animations, for sure. But like so very many features of the game, dropped off long time ago. Unless you're using the Wardrobe feature (wasn't that Kunark Ascending+higher expac feature only?)
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Only if they wanted whips to do lethal rather than non-lethal damage -- oh, wait; that's DnD/Pathfinder pen-and-paper gaming. :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Trust me on this one, whips are awesome for doing sword damage while being made out of Pelt leather (why don't Tailors have that option, too? Both Woodworkers and Weaponsmiths make ammo, don't they? :-/), which is, again, infinitely easier to get ahold of, rare-wise, than rare Real Metal to make actual swords out of. ;->

Uwk
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Heh! I forgot how awesome the musical soundtracks were from the Rankin-Bass versions of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings ('cause I wanted to forget all their other sins...)! I wonder if one could get them on CD nowadays... ;->

Uwk
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I DnDed before Pathfinder. Back when Zocchi had a game store. Gamescience dice with sharp edges that never wore out.
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

After searching EQ2U, it seems that player made whips stop at level 88 and are considered swords, *shrugs* makes no sense to me. But you can loot whips all the way up to level 110. I actually have a level 110 for one of my beastmasters. Maybe whispering in Gninja or Kaitheel's ears might get some new higher level player made whip recipes?
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yep! High-impact plastic dice. Gotta love 'em. ;->

O' course, I started in 1978, with the li'l cardboard box kit; three little paperback books that, swear to the gods, looked self-published, and a handful of LOW-impact dice that now look like lumpy marbles (even the d4). ;->

Uwk
    working on a Creaky Old Kitty Voice ("Ah remember when, way back in 19-ought-7-8...you young punks don't 'preciate what it's like to be able to play jest 'bout any race, any class, s'long as ya don't mind not gettin' any higher than 20th level. [spittoon sound in background] Dangnabbit, you wanted to play a dwarf or an elf, you were a Fighter-Priest or a Mage-Thief, respectively, and you LIKED it!") ;->
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That's a thought! I'm sure it's just an oversight... ;->

I also did a /bug report, too, but can't hurt to nag -- ah, politely request such a thing. :)

Uwk
    who thinks: what other category would whip damage be under, frankly? They're definitely not bludgeoning or piercing, so it's gotta be slashing (and apparently, they only have one category of weapon in each type; if it slashes, it's a sword X-P)...at least they don't suck, like daggers do :-/
  17. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

I don't have 110 level, but I can read.. Else, we don't see riding crop (stick) https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Riding_Crop
    in this "Chaos Descending Mount Gear Crate"(https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Chaos_Descending_Mount_Gear_Crate. Its use in appropriate (barding?) slot could give an increase in air and mount speed. Forgot to put? Oh yes, tailor forgot this.. He forgot how to make it. About that he need to go to weaponsmith or armorer for flexible metal rod for base, and then braid, sheathe his leather. And sometimes it's used as weapon https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/silent/images/f/f4/EileenSniffer.gif Or does it hide weapon inside https://ebth-com-production.imgix.n...-3.0.0&w=880&h=880&fit=crop&crop=&auto=format
  18. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I have some of those beige/brown booklets to. The info in them was scattered around. I have one set of the 'dice that become marbles' even the d4 looks rather ragged. Then the slightly better replacements TSR came up with. Rest are Gamescience, Koplow, Chessex, etc.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

LOL! :D

I'll take your word for it; I don't have Chaos Descending yet (hasn't gone on half-off sale yet). ;)

Uwk
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Chessex...purrrrr. X-)

Uwk