I want to play again, but I have a few hangups

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by feldwebel87, Jul 8, 2019.

1. feldwebel87 Active Member

I want to play EQ2 again because of the vast, open worlds and the amazing amount of content. I want to go to frostfang sea and get lost, or craft a bit and just relax.
    It appears this game in on its last legs, so it's really hard to commit. I like FFXIV, but that feeling of vastness isn't really there. I am playing XIV now, but I can't help but think of EQ2 and what fun times can be had.
    Level with me, everyone, is this game just about dead? I don't want to get into it just to feel alone and see my fun cut short if the servers shut down.
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Melkior Well-Known Member

People have been saying this game is about dead for a decade or so now. Has it lost players since its heyday? Sure. And while nothing can last forever, I don't think this game is in danger of them shutting the servers down any time soon. My two cents at least.
    Cyrrena, Siren, Seefar and 4 others like this.
  3. Breanna Well-Known Member

Same here I don't see it shutting down anytime soon either.
    Cyrrena, Siren, Soara2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Norrath is still a great place to be.

That said, any MMO is only what you make of it.
    Cyrrena, Siren, Soara2 and 4 others like this.
  5. Memuvil New Member

Find an active guild, and you will have plenty of things to do.
  6. Leed Active Member

When it comes to game shutdowns you can only look at a company's past history. In that regard DBG has kept things running on games with far lower populations - and usually a game goes into maintenance mode (eg no more expansions or patches) a few years before a complete shutdown. That only leaves overall company health, and in that regard - Holly Longdale has said Everquest 1 is more profitable in 2019 than it was in 2015.
  7. kingmob23 Well-Known Member

They just gave news about the upcoming expansion with a 10 level cap increase, so no, it's not dead or being shut down anytime soon.
    Kittybock, Cyrrena, Siren and 3 others like this.
  8. feldwebel87 Active Member

That's actually very hopeful news.
  9. feldwebel87 Active Member

That's actually reassuring.
    Cyrrena, Siren, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  10. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I have heard of the original EQ shutting down since I started playing. In 2004. Its still going and going.
  11. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Nobody told me the game is shutting down!
    Kittybock, Cyrrena, Faeonara and 7 others like this.
  12. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

"Hey! Welcome back from vacation.... umm, can you clean your desk?"
    Kittybock, Cyrrena, Faeonara and 3 others like this.
  13. Leed Active Member

I think their 20 year anniversary event actually brought back a lot of people too. I gave it a try after probably 10 years away and the starter area had people running all around like it was the launch of a new server (Firiona Vie). I saw a big burst of people over here on EQ2 the day experts launched too (~5-7 instances of Myrist on Maj'Dul)
  14. feldwebel87 Active Member

You've all convinced me to give it a shot. If nothing else, we should know a good time in advance when things are coming to an end considering no other reason beyond control stops the servers.
    Cyrrena, Siren, kingmob23 and 2 others like this.
  15. Bludd Well-Known Member

yep seems like it, that's why you have to release that kraken mount asap TIME IS RUNNING OUT *mission impossible theme song*
    Cyrrena, Rhodris, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Just don't hum the TwiLight Zone theme quietly to yourself upon entering darkly lit zones.
    Cyrrena, Siren, Rhodris and 3 others like this.
  17. Prox Well-Known Member

The guys writing code everyday are always the last to know.
    Cyrrena, Rhodris, kingmob23 and 2 others like this.
  18. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

if you been gone for years U suggest you try to get back into things on the new TLE server " Kaladim" we just got DoF today
    Cyrrena, Siren and Breanna like this.
  19. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

How dare you! I'm not a coder!
    Kittybock, Cyrrena, Faeonara and 6 others like this.
  20. Obano Well-Known Member

My bet is both EQ2 and original EverQuest will still be around in another 20 years. I doubt FFXIV will be still be going in 2039.
    Cyrrena, Febrith, Seefar and 2 others like this.