Level cap increase (120) and Summoners

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Azrael's Tear, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Azrael's Tear Active Member

With the announcement of the level cap increase in the next expansion I am curious about what will happen with the Summoner Epic 2.0 Pets. I like this pet but I also miss having a use for the other class defining pets. Anyone use their mage pet recently, or at all since the 2.0? I have to wonder when the Epic 2.0 Pet will stop leveling? When it stops leveling will the Epic 2.0 Pet spell be replaced/modified to continue to be useful?

Just a passing thought today, I guess I am just hoping that something is being considered.
    Cassta, Sigrdrifa, Beee and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ragna Well-Known Member

Probably nothing and 2.0 will level to 120. Kinda hard to tell Summoners they'll lose their good 2.0 spell when the other classes can keep it.
    That said the "old" pets can - or rather could - still be useful as they have their own agro.
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. Beee Well-Known Member

You can have a look on the 111-120 Celestrial spells in the new scroll crate.

Some of them are identical to the actual one, and I'm not sure abut they have the ressources for fixing swarmpets or even classbalance. Will be a long way to close the actual gap between mages and scouts - no idea how it could be done in the next 4 months because it had not be done in the last 8+ months.

The biggest problem is the behavior that a summoner does dps via Ascension spells, almost the whole class spells are not scaling correct or have a much to low base damage value.

I think the problems will get bigger with additional 10 not scaling lspell evels
    Soara2 likes this.
  4. Avithax Well-Known Member

It's hard not to see the addition of 10 levels as anything more than a cash grab. $500 once again to level the new Ascensions alone will add to the coffers along with the usual expansion scramble to climb up the numbingly repetitive gear ladder with Krono.

I don't see how it's possible that the original Everquest is going to be 10 levels below it's sequel, unless I missed a level cap increase announcement that would keep them even with us.
    Soara2 and Geroblue like this.
  5. Azrael's Tear Active Member

Personally I would enjoy seeing them make the 2.0 pet stop leveling and then add a small summoner quest line to replace it with a buff or some other class flavor spell. I miss having a choice in what pets I use, even though I know that we have never really had a choice because one pet always outperforms the other, but still in theory we should have to think about the pet we choose to use based on the dynamics of a fight.

More than anything I just wanted to bring it up so, like Ragna mentioned above, summoners don't get boned if they do out level the 2.0 pet while all other classes keep full functionality of their 2.0 spells.

I admit this is completely based on speculation, no facts to back it up, but my Spidey Sense has been tingling... for whatever that is worth.
    Soara2 likes this.
  6. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Expect the same as epic 1.0 pet.

Useless after 2 expansions and never reworked, not even on TLE servers.
    Soara2 likes this.
  7. Azrael's Tear Active Member

The Epic 1.0 pet was different though, it was cast from the weapon itself and was not a spell that was put in your spell book. Later they took the other effects and added them as spells (as part of Epic Repercussions), so everyone was on even footing with the effects granted from the Epic 1.0 weapon. Epic 2.0 granted the spells as part of the quest line from the start, and one of the two spells granted was the pet, so IF the pet does stop leveling then Summoners will be shorted a working spell unless something else is done to level the playing field.
    Soara2 likes this.
  8. Ashandra Well-Known Member

I can vaguely remember ppl asking the epic2 pet level thing to the devs a year or 2 back and they said it wasn’t an issue the way it was designed it’s stats increase with the caster but honestly who knows . I would like it to be scrapped and we get its buffs on our old pets so we can use those again with the aa lines made for them. Also address swarms Scaling a few do pretty well much nothing and the ones that do don’t do much worth writing home about compared to other classes signature stuff .

I did post either here or discord that the way they adjusted the setting on swarm stats that they wouldn’t scale and as time went on they would get weaker was also a few years back after they nerfed them down well guess what....
    Soara2 likes this.
  9. semisus Does not play this game

I am wondering about this as well , if other pets would become better than epic pet they would need the special attacks epic pets have
    If epic pet will continue to be the best with lvl increase it sure would be nice if there will be a way to get celestial tier of epic spells
    Soara2 likes this.
  10. Amiiss Member

I asked about this a few times. I suggested making the epic 2 spell into a pet buff, and making the pets useful again. In a round about way I was told its too much work to re-balance pets. The current tier mage pet taken all the way up to celestial after a few months of hunting down multiple master spells, recipe for grand master and ancient, spending a monthly celestial box on the spell.... the pet does 1/3 the damage as the epic 2 pet given away for a couple hours of questing. It didnt even change appearance by making it celestial. On one hand its 3 levels of spells that we will get that will never be cast. On the other hand, its 3 spells we never have to upgrade.
    Soara2 likes this.
  11. Teletrium New Member

I am worried that it will feel like sitting in front of the tree with your siblings open their new gifts, and i'm stuck playing with my 3 year old planeswalker
    Soara2 and ConcealFate like this.
  12. Katzandra Well-Known Member

Ten levels at a time is too much, especially with the current research time schedule for high end skills. Thank goodness there are no reported plans to add more ascensions to level up and mess with the class balance.

I often wondered how it was that some folks got one new pet and summoners traded the option for three to one. The Planeswalker is awesome though and I hope it is not phased out. I suspect that there will need to be a way to level up epic skills as the items to make the crafted upgrades are really hard to come by for folks that didn't accumulate them during Kunark Ascending.

I also suspect that the epic 2 skills will be incorporated into all classes this expansion to put new players on an equal footing. We will find out soon enough I suppose!

But I really hope they make summoners more than a mere shadow of our former selves. Its sad being eclipsed by scouts and seeing the enchanters move to the scout groups because they are more deserving of the extra buffs.......So sad......
    Soara2 likes this.
  13. Warlyx Active Member

i for one dont mind keeping 2.0 pet , since i dont have to upgrade another spell , but would love to see more graphic customization , colors or something :p
    Soara2 likes this.
  14. Melkior Well-Known Member

Maybe instead of 3 new pets in the next tier, summoners just get a new Epic pet spell? That would allow it to scale to the new levels, and have it capable of getting to celestial.
    Laaw and Soara2 like this.
  15. Twisty Well-Known Member

uh i guess you didn't get the memo that u can make ur pet look like a bazillion things in game?
    Soara2 likes this.
  16. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking there will be epic 2.5 like eq1. Sadly...
  17. Svenone Well-Known Member

I kinda hope that there will NOT be an epic 2.5, at least, not yet. Maybe in a year...
    Soara2 likes this.
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Why on earth do you keep PAYING to level the spells? Most of it is craftable, and with a little patience you can research the rest.
    Saints, Soara2, Kittybock and 2 others like this.
  19. Zenji Well-Known Member

What is the ballpark on how long it takes to research 1 spell all the way up from expert?
    Soara2 likes this.
  20. Breanna Well-Known Member

That depends on the level of the spell, but assuming you're talking high level spells a little over 3 months if you just research and don't tradeskill upgrade any of them.
    Soara2 likes this.