What GPU Feature is Missing to Cause Opaque/Non-Transparent Windows?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Oradim, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Oradim Well-Known Member

Hello Folks,

I don't have an image hosting account so, at least initially, I am not posting any images. Hopefully that will not be an insurmountable detriment.

I'm sure the results I see are due to some missing graphics capability on a laptop with Intel HD Graphics 520 vs a desktop.

The issue is that on the laptop windows inside of housing (to wit, in the New Halas 6 room house) which should be translucent and show exterior scenery are not. They are simply an opaque rectangle.

Note: I'm not looking for what in-game settings I can change in Options... I've changed them all with no success. I'm just curious what is causing the "failure to render" as I had hoped.

Here are a couple of old forum threads discussing the same thing:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/reflections-not-working-please-help.4122/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/mirrors-dont-reflect.541298/

I'm curious about what functionality is missing from the laptop graphics that causes this. I found another old posting that mentioned shader 3 support, but the laptop reports shader 5.1 support.

It's a shame because the laptop actually runs the game better overall than my current desktop. Yes, my desktop is old. But, on the other hand, I don't have missing graphics features on it as I do on the laptop.

Cheers,
    Oradim
    Cyrrena likes this.
  2. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I have a lot of these same issues, an area in guk where the frog shaman takes you where its just all green and you can see nothing. Zoning into the Kromzek Keep prestige home, there is that stone bridge with what I assume is fog on both sides, its all white, luckily, I know its a straight shot to the stairs, wavering from straight is a deathfall. There is an area in the Kromzek Keep that has this same whiteout condition, an area in Wailing Caves has it as well. The craters in Thundering Steppes where the gnolls are, all white, cannot see the gnolls.

Never had these issues, then one day, my motherboard blew up, PC was under warranty, sent it to manufacturer, received it back with better motherboard, reinstalled everything, now I have the issues. Spousal Unit has exactly the same computer, was not having the issue either, until I started having it, not sure if it started with a Win10 update, with a DirectX update, or some other update, but I have it now and nothing seems to cure it, not even a brand new graphics card that is better than the other one.
    Dude, Breanna and Oradim like this.
  3. Oradim Well-Known Member

Thanks Cyrrena! I liked your post purely out of common experience - not because you're experiencing issues too!

That's an interesting point about a possible Windows 10 update. The laptop in question was "re-imaged" by me doing a fresh install of Windows 10 then patching up to the latest available patches. Then I installed EQ2 by doing a full download (i.e., not streaming.) I've also tried clearing the EQ2 cache directories etc. after the install.

As a possible help for my desktop I ordered the highest-end CPU I could find for my old motherboard technology (775 socket!) So, I'm going from my current Intel E6750 to the Intel E8600 CPU. No idea if it will really help, but a "like new" one was available for $20. So, I figured I'll at least try it and see if it does any better.

The whole thing was just a weekend idea I had that might help me remove some clutter – the desktop. I pretty much only use it for EQ2 these days. My other laptop is a MacBook Pro and I don't have any real desire to use Bootcamp or Crossover to mess around with EQ2 on that.

Plus, as you know from another thread, I have more important things to worry about... like should I get those tradeskill apprentices going and so forth!

I decided to try an image hosting account.

Here's desktop:
    [IMG]

Here's laptop:
    [IMG]
    Cyrrena, Dude and Breanna like this.
  4. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

I'm able to reproduce this effect by toggling on / off the GPU Shadow Maps switch in the Options / Display / Shadows tickbox.
    Dude likes this.
  5. Oradim Well-Known Member

I wish toggling GPU Shadow Maps changed the effect for me, but, alas, it does not.

I could just decide to live with what I see (or, I guess, more accurately, don't) but my curiosity was piqued by what I do see and now I have this small obsession with learning what the cause is.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  6. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

You know, I'd probably force feed win 10 some ole directx9 just to see what happens. Realistically, toggling from "extreme performance" to "high quality" should change how the games rendered...and I'd guess its not a hardware issue... (without digging into the 520 integrated gpu specs) - but more the game's rendering system looking for / making a call to a shader that's not on your system. I.e. a fresh install of 10 won't have dx9 / 9c installed... and old games (probably) still use that for rendering (versus upgrading the engine for newer dx capabilities).
    Cyrrena likes this.
  7. Oradim Well-Known Member

Good thought, and I was with you on that one when I did the original install. After the full download completed I dropped ye olde DX3 DLLs into the directory:

C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest II>dir d3*
    Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is CE0F-55A9

Directory of C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest II

05/26/2010 03:41 PM 2,106,216 D3DCompiler_43.dll
    09/28/2006 08:05 PM 2,414,360 d3dx9_31.dll
    07/20/2007 01:14 AM 3,727,720 d3dx9_35.dll
    05/26/2010 03:41 PM 1,998,168 D3DX9_43.dll
    4 File(s) 10,246,464 bytes

I also confirmed via SysInternals Process Monitor that these DLLs are loaded at run time.

I'm definitely not a hardware person so maybe out of ignorance I blamed it on the on-board graphics! But, hey, it's always the network, right? Or at least I've heard that before... ;)
    Cyrrena likes this.
  8. Feara Well-Known Member

I run a desktop and have the same issue some days and not other days. The pics you provided is exactly what I see at times. Drives me nuts because I have no idea what it is.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  9. Oradim Well-Known Member

I guess I can take solace in the fact it's not just me being driven nuts then!

I've tried every knob I could turn in BIOS, graphics, and game settings. Nada.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  10. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Reflections makes the difference for me - when the box is unchecked I get the blank windows.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  11. Feara Well-Known Member

I will try that Rosyposy, thank you :).
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I never thought of reflections, I will try that as well. I did do the shadows thing as soon as I searched and saw people reporting issues with the shadows.
    Rosyposy and Breanna like this.