So, uh, how big is your layout file?

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Oradim, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Oradim Well-Known Member

I've recently been reading old threads, watching videos, etc. regarding the two layout editors (i.e., JesDyr's initially and then Sennen's) and not sure exactly where I read/saw this... But, I think it was mentioned somewhere that performance can be slower with a large layout file. This made me wonder, "just what size is a large layout file?"

My interest is purely to satisfy the curiosity that was piqued by the "large layout file thing" and has no real-world use or implication. I've seen a few video tours and I have to admit I have no idea how many items are in a typical "fully decorated house" (which, of course, would vary by size) but I'm guessing "a bazillion."

Anyway, the only house I've placed items in has a layout file consisting of a whopping 436 lines. I have no doubt this is a mere speck of a file compared to some houses I have seen.

Oh, and as a way off to the side comment, I read an unanswered question in a posting from a very long time ago (and quite possibly from a galaxy far, far away as well) about the red button with the "Do what I want" text in JesDyr's layout editor (1.7.2.17 anyway.)

To satisfy that track of curiosity in case you've ever seen it: It's just a random "Easter Egg" sort of thing that does no harm and performs no action. Clicking it will display a dialog with "+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++ " as a message.

Cheers,
    Oradim
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I have layout files running from 45K to 450K, the latter being a New Halas Magical Manor breakout that's less than 20 items away from being at max.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  3. Oradim Well-Known Member

My only file is right in line with the 45K one. Extrapolating that out to 450K makes my head swim!
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I think it does depend on the program looking at the file, perhaps; using just Notepad (which came free with Microsoft until like Win8+ or something :-/) might make for smaller files?

Ostensibly, I'd think that if you have everything out of the Moving Crate and have maxxed out your expander(s), you could probably have like up to 1200 items in each category (regular and Building Block), for like 2400, total? And in the layout editors, even Notepad, each thing would have a separate line, rather than one line for 16 Blocks of Polished Ice, for example. So, 2400 lines for an example like that, if it were completely full. For items that are in the Moving Crate in JesDyr's/Sennen's, they have separate tabs/viewing options; for Notepad, it's just either "false" (for "Nope, not in the Crate") or "true" (for "Yep, it's in there.")

Uwk
    who also loves that Easter Egg button; reminds me of the 11th Doctor in the Whoniverse, having to reboot it after it blew up...literally, in his case ;->
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

When I am using the Layout Editor, I create groups and I make notes as to where items are in the house. Some of this is written in the layout file, even though the game doesn't use the comments. However, it's a flat database in TXT format either way, I can't see the file size being an issue.
  6. Oradim Well-Known Member

Thanks for the helpful and interesting information.

Now to continue my plans to build my entire domain out of watery tiles... Which I shall call, "Watered Down Plans."
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

ow

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Seriously, if you want to re-skin everything in water tiles, what I might suggest is re-skinning first in a color or item (some of the paintings and rock/stone things spring to mind) that would not be out of place in, say, an aquarium backing or something, then just hosing down the place. ;->

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Oradim and Breanna like this.
  9. Oradim Well-Known Member

Hey there Uwk! Sorry - that was just a bit of a joke. I think I would get motion sickness if I actually tried that for real! Though maybe something like a Versailles Hall of Mirrors thing done with watery tiles might work.

Plus there is the small problem that I somehow seem to have destroyed or otherwise lost all my watery tiles that I purchased from the last Moonlight Enchantments event. It's not that I can't see them while placing - I know about that. It's that I bought a bunch of them and now I can't for the life of me find where the heck I stored them. Inventory search does not find them. I'm really wondering if either a) I did mistakenly destroy them somehow, or b) I'm losing my mind. It's 50-50 right now.

I do have to admit that I did get a good laugh out of the "hose down the place" comment!

Oradim
    Who always likes to read Uwk's sub-text comments like this one.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Heh... ;->

/bow

When I find myself tearing my hair out looking for stuff, and it's not in the inventory, Bank, Shared Bank, Housing Vaults, houses, etc., I'll often actually remember to look in the Broker crates, just in case. I'd never actually SELL that stuff, but the Veteran's Crates are a good 40 slot and 50 slot set of crates, so a good extra 90 slots to bury stuff in. At the time, it's a handy place to stow stuff, but if you forget... :-/

Uwk
    who has tried the Storage Dungeon stuff before, but still hasn't quite gotten the hang of the crazy placement tricks... :-/
    Breanna, Cyrrena and Oradim like this.
  11. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

If you use DarqUI, there is a feature that will tell you exactly where any item you own is. So if I think Cyrrena has some watery tiles. I could look at a DarqUI Inventory for her and it would tell me how many and where, it includes her houses and dungeons. There are instructions on how to set it up in the DarqUI help menu in-game. I am speaking of DarqUI Unified, I do not know if other versions of DarqUI have this feature.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  12. Oradim Well-Known Member

Interesting, and thanks very much! I currently use the vanilla default interface. I don't have any "esoteric" storage places like dungeons etc. It's almost surely user error on my part!

Cheers,
    Oradim
  13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

ACK!!!!

Did you catch that Uwk, no storage dungeons, NO STORAGE DUNGEONS, surely we have failed this person and must begin to rectify this situation immediately!!!!
  14. Oradim Well-Known Member

How about the following four bits of shocking confession:
    - I have open character slots (I have 9 characters - one for each trade skill)
    - I don't have any trade skill apprentices (yet)
    - I've only recently converted my gathering goblin into the garden plant
    - I've only done Gathering Obsession on 5 of my 9 characters
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.
  15. Breanna Well-Known Member

GASP!!!!!!!!

/em Looks around for open character slots
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Oooooh...that right there could very well be worth the price of admission. :eek:

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  17. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Breanna, Uwk … This Oradim is crying out for help. It is our duty as Homeshowers and meeting members to help him. He has free character slots, no storage dungeons, no tradeskill apprentices, has only recently converted his goblin to a plant and has only played with Qho on 5 of 9 of his crafting stable.

How can we allow him to continue to suffer like this. We need to make a treatment plan immediately!!!! Uwk get started on some spreadsheets if you can, I will begin the lists, Breanna if you have the time, grab some doughnuts, ice cream, and figure out what to do with free character slots!!!

*begins making lists, and lists of the lists, and a master list of the lists and the location of the lists*
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Oradim like this.
  18. Oradim Well-Known Member

Awesome - one of the best things I have read today!

I'm not too proud to admit I need to have some "coaching" on certain things!
  19. Breanna Well-Known Member

Ask away, we are always more than happy to help if we can.

By the way what flavor Ice Cream do you like? I'm going to pick up coffee too.

The character slots well let's see just forget about those you won't need them you can just give them to me. LOL Ok well maybe just 2 of them you should probably keep the others. I want to make a new character on Kaladim though SIGH
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  20. Oradim Well-Known Member

Coffee is always welcome. I generally lean the mint chocolate chip direction but am not too picky when it comes to ice cream. I'll have to research "transferring" character slots ;)