Just Occurred to Me

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Ritual, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Ritual Active Member

We seem to have several excellent graphics capture people who do housing tours.
    I noticed that each has their own style and likes and dislikes.
    We also have like 2 people a month wanting tours done.....what the heck.
    As i enjoy all the videos no matter who may have made them and it wouldn't bother me at all if we got several copies of the same properties by different video-crazies , and maybe some open discussion on what makes this or that work (or not so much) in decorating.
    I'm not afraid of a little honest criticism when i waste the viewers time , and then perhaps a second tour may find the same details the best part of the build.
    Then again i may be completely wrong about everything.
    Why not at least discuss it a little.
  2. Spirit Active Member

Ahh I get it , like i love the wall but it could have been 3000 feet shorter and still made your point , or i wish the ceiling could have been tall enough for a troll to walk through the rooms.
    No insults , just useful suggestions , after all we are all friends here.
    Maybe a band of purple flowers on the north terrace would have looked great before Niboota stomped them all to molding liquids.
    i would love people to give me ideas for the next project that i didn't have to right out steal.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ideas are indeed tricky things; when I'm doing something that's commissioned/for a house swap, I'll look desperately for what the home owner is specifically looking for to give me a clue about where to go next...barring that, if they have a lot of stuff already in the Moving Crate, that helps a lot! Otherwise, a lot of my time is spent trying to figure out what the heck to do with it (the rest is usually spent on my OCD); I've never been one of those interior artists, who can produce something that looks straight out of House Beautiful in like three days and max the item count, even with expanders (I envy the heck out of folks that can do that! :D). Usually what I come up with is weird as heck, and I've puzzled Niboota more often than not when she was touring on a regular basis. ;->

Uwk
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  4. Ritual Active Member

Perfect , yes yes that's it ! we could have even not quite done video tours for when we are stuck and could use some help and our brains have turned to mush.
    Where peoples can leave suggestions on where to go next or offer to donate some time or items that could be of use to get us re-motivated.
    I'm sure we all have a house we started in 1956 but never finished because we just couldn't think of what to do next.
    Maybe some kind of open channel stuff and some private place for helping out in house swap situations where we use more pictures and text to consider our issues.
    Helping each other would be great and no ideas are bad , there are just mistaken applications of brilliant concepts.
    Soara2, Katz, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  5. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

I have not been active for awhile now but in the past people just asked in homeshow for people to come help give constructive feedback and ideas on where to go with projects. I used to go to people's houses all the time to give them feedback and offer up house items and such. I do remember needing to be in a creative mood when going to help with that sort of thing. I have asked to do how to videos in the past but still haven't been able to find the time. Some of the stuff requires so much prep work to even do the how to video because it was so complex. With my RL in the way too much I stopped doing most things. I can think back to several times where people might have wanted to hear conversations I have had with people on how to fix issues they are having with a build or ideas what they could do or what items to use. Never even thought to record at those times. I know that I have gotten in trouble for being honest in some of the videos I have done. It never hurts to ask for something like that but I don't think I would do that sort of video unless I knew the person really well. I have been hurt by negative feedback on my videos. I know that I am not in a good enough mental state to do such a video that could cause a huge drama situation again. Maybe one of the other video-crazies, as you put it, would be willing to do such a video with you.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Heck, you don't necessarily have to do a video if you know how to post screenshots here, even something like: "Here's this room, what am I missing here?" or "Where should I put this, what should I do with it?" and have an arrow pointing to something or a circle around it, all of which is super-easy to do with MS Paint or just about anything else out there.

The tricky bit is posting here; not sure if you've seen the various posts/threads on that, Ritual, but a refresher, just in case:

1. Grab a screenshot of the problem area. I know there's supposed to be an in-game command for it, but I'm lazy enough to just hit the Print Scrn button on my keyboard. ;->

2. Open it with Paint or whatever art program you've got. One reason why I don't ever want to have to upgrade from Win7 is I can still get Paint for free. ;) Do whatever you need or want to with the image.

3. Find a third-party art/photo posting website to belong to (even Facebook works...sort of); I like www.deviantart.com. Do whatever you have to do to publish the image on your selected site.

4. What I do on DeviantArt after that is I'll go to where my image is published and right-click on it, choosing View Image from the resultant drop-down list.

5. I'll get a new screen, where the only thing on it is my image and its URL, the computerese at the top of the screen. For example, this page's URL is:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/just-occurred-to-me.589262/#post-6549397

Completely highlight the URL where your image is and Ctrl+C (Copy).

6. Come back here and either open a new post or get to where you want to insert the image in a post you've got open.

7. Go up to the li'l icon button that looks like a tree in a landscape. That's the Insert Image button. Click on it.

8. In the box that pops up, Ctrl+V (View/Paste) your URL, then hit the Insert button.

9. Ta-da! Pretty much just like inserting an image in Word; you can type stuff around it, etc. at this point. :)

Uwk
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Sigrdrifa like this.
  7. Ritual Active Member

Video crazy is a good thing , like being a chocohaulic , such a wonderful addiction.
    But no i don't want anything to lead to confrontation , if i feel I should keep my mouth shut I usually do, if i have nothing good to say then its good if i say nothing.I know some people could be offended by a suggestion but it's easy to apologize and back out if it comes to that.
    I would hope it all stays friendly and in good spirit.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

When people post a video tour, you can use the comments to politely disagree with assessments made by the videographer.

"Yes, while the use of every primary color in such a small space seemed jarring, did you notice the really cool detail on the kitchen cabinet construction" (or whatever).
  9. Mariebella Well-Known Member

Critique is a tough one, I don't mind constructive feedback. I look for it before I post so fresh eyes can see something I might have missed. Fresh eyes can see something right off that you might miss because you are too close to it. Yet if someone didn't like my work I don't know if I would want it on video. Also some people say they want feedback but might disagree with something someone says and then the videographer gets all upset because they are getting tells.

I think the reason it would be tough is because different people like different things, sometimes you can do something only a decorator would appreciate because they know how tough it is to do a certain thing (my husband looked at a room I had spent all day re-skinning and asked when I was going to start decorating.)

What I love about the video tours though is its a way to show off all your hard work, when you worked so long its awesome when someone comes and recognizes that.
  10. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I sent Niboota an invitation to tour one of my homes. I do hope that she sends me some feedback on what she liked or what she hated, I know she will hate the wonky floor because I have not had time to fix it yet. It is on the top of my list for after all of the events, during the lull time.
    Soara2, Rosyposy, Niboota and 2 others like this.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, good luck, because apparently, we have yet another event coming up, even before Oceansfull... X-P

Uwk
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

GAAHHH! Stupid server, making me double post. >:-/

We hates it forever! >:-/

Uwk
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

EDIT: Whew! Apparently, it's only B'easter B'onanza, or whatever. ;->

Uwk
  14. Ritual Active Member

I guess I'm lousy communicator , i tried to leave criticize out of the whole idea , I wanted suggestions for improvements or ideas for empty spaces not someone to tell me i suck and should shoot myself tonight.
    I guess there has been a lot of grief in the past regarding these ideas and i sure wouldn't want that , if you believe it's a bad idea then so be it , we can drop it like a cup of ogre swill.
    But please come to my properties , if i publish any more of them , and let me know what you think might help.
    I'm always open to new ideas.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That can be a problem with writing, sometimes, especially in this day and age, I think; unless you pepper a comment with lots of emojis, no one will be able to tell if you're trying to lighten a mood or suggest something that might be taken wrongly. :-/ As it is, we humans communicate something like 95% or more non-verbally, so if we can't see the person talking (and even Skype doesn't necessarily help), or at least hear them on voice chat and tell tone of voice from that, the wrong message could be conveyed. :-/

But yeah, even screenshots can help with comments and ideas, and I have a spreadsheet of all the places I think would be cool to visit...some of which I even have! :D

Uwk
    who really ought to get stock in Excel/Microsoft, or any of the other fine spreadsheet programs out there ;)
    Rosyposy, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  16. Niboota Well-Known Member

Don't worry - I will! :)
    Soara2, Breanna, Rosyposy and 2 others like this.
  17. Niboota Well-Known Member

Hmm... If I were to have anything critical to say about a house, I would keep it to myself, unless the designer was specifically asking for ways on how they might improve upon their design. And now that I'm thinking about it, I can't even think of anything I've ever disliked while touring a house. Some are certainly more creative than others or better coordinated or laid out, but I've never once looked at anything during a tour and thought "hmm I don't like that". At least not that I can recall.
    Faeonara, Soara2, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  18. Niboota Well-Known Member

Yah I did the April 1st quest series with 13 of my toons, and nothing since. I have no motivation to do anything more. I want to do what I want to do! I am a slave to NO event!! *raises her rebel flag and looks menacing* :p
    Faeonara, Soara2, Breanna and 3 others like this.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Aw, lovey, you'll always look menacing to us. :)

Uwk
    Faeonara, Soara2, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  20. Ritual Active Member

Niboota pops in and out like a phantom , nothing for a week then 7 posts in 7 minutes , and yes she looks like a menace , perhaps she is a Phantom Menace.(star wars music).!
    Faeonara, Soara2, Niboota and 3 others like this.