Suggestion: Solution for "falling through the floor" issues

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Merriel, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Merriel Well-Known Member

I was sitting here thinking about the issue with people/pets falling through the floor and came up with this "brilliant" idea for fixing the issue.

What about a SPECIFIC building block floor tile, created to render the old way houses used to render. Appearance of this item is not important, as it would be buried beneath whatever other building blocks, etc, that we used to decorate in a specific area, such as the house entrance, or on a platform where we want a pet to remain at that level.

The coding would be such that when this tile is placed, this tile, and only this tile, would render the old way. There could be a limit placed on the item as to how many of these tiles can be used in a house, if the devs are worried about someone tiling their entire house with these.

This way people would use them only in specific places in their home, and would be an ideal solution to prevent people from falling through false floors upon entry into someone's home. and preventing pets from falling through the floor of their 'cages' or pedestals, or where they are placed on a second level of a home, etc.
  2. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

What about places in homes where people fall through where there have been no alterations? Such as Isle of Mara prestige home. One of the houses up around where the pigs are kept on the public Isle of Mara, the Prestige home has a hole that you can fall to your death through. That has been there since the day the home was released. I found it and put a bunch of flowers over it that you cannot fall through.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

What I don't get is the "fall to your DEATH" bit (that spot in the Maj'Dul break-out does, too), when so many of the "you've crossed the line, you're fallin' now" places only plop you right back to a safe spot, or where you last were before taking that first lou-lou step (as in, "Watch out for that first step, it's a lou-lou!")? Why the mayhem? :-/

I do like the idea of the Special Tile, but they've probably lost the part of the game program software that enabled that kind of old, beloved loading. :(

Uwk
    a firm believer in documentation
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  4. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

I do this already, when I'm building something that won't sit unless I create a new horizon. Then, when I've gotten the item to place, I remove the false horizon I created from underneath the item I placed, and voila! Item generally stays put. I do this especially when I'm "landscaping", as I tend to do quite often in my work, where I'm constantly putting things where they normally will not go. I equate it to building a mini-scaffolding for the item, to place it upon, and removing the scaffolding when building is complete. I have to do this quite a bit in this new build I'm working on, utilizing the height of Kromzek keep to the fullest extent I can. It's been....interesting....attempting to place items in places they shouldn't be. LOL

Usually, I place a floor grate or tile or stair on the floor, raise it to where I want the item to sit, then when I've gotten it placed correctly, remove said helper item. I find that if I need to see above or below the tile, and I don't want to keep picking it up and replacing it to finagle an item until it's correct, I use a polished ice tile or stair, so that I can fly or jump around (on other scaffolding of course) from different viewpoints, and see through the stair or tile to the item I'm wiggling around. It's more efficient to use something I can see through, especially if the item is to be positioned higher than my character's height.
  5. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

but,.. but,...
    then the infantile will start whining again as though something is about to kill them that,..."THEY MUST LOAD INTO THE HOUSE BEFORE ALL THE BLOCKS BECAUSE "reasons""!!!!!
    They would feel inferior to that ONE. ITEM. and begin the whining session again.
  6. Merriel Well-Known Member

The ONLY issue with staying put is house pets as opposed to plushies. House pets WILL fall through no matter what you do. This post isn't about that. It's about when you load into a house, and land beneath the false floor the owner built, because the character renders before the building blocks do. :)

Rofl, Cey, that does happen quite often, doesn't it? :D
  7. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

I think this is now an EXCELLENT time to suggest that either:
    Tinkered Taxidermy Contraptionington Device
    or
    Alchemist's Taxidermy Potion!
    Where when applied (or forced imbibed :eek: ) by one's pet, they would become a Posed Plushy! (sit, stand, attack, etc.)
    either would also solve the problem of pets getting off where they were not expected or desired too!!
  8. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

I tried suggesting a while back implementing a right-click option to "stuff" pets to disable their lively instincts. But I think the answer amounted to "too much programming". :oops:
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  9. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

a lot of my builds will cause you to do this. for instance, in my previous guild hall, I had it built to create a path "uphill". The only way I could prevent players landing under the scenery was to leave the landing area flat where you zone in, and build up around it. I do this in my houses too. I'll just create the illusion that the "hill" cascades down to where you've landed so that it's a (mostly) seamless transition to heightened landscaping. Just don't camp out "upstairs"....you'll end up behind walls when you zone in next time! lol
  10. Merriel Well-Known Member

This does work for most houses, but not all entrances are on the 'main' floor. The Everfrost home is a prime example, where if you build a false floor level to the entrance, you sometimes land in the floor. I have personally taken to trying to ensure all my entrances are on solid footing, but not everyone does this. :)
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

For the longest time, that was because of folks still having old, creaky computers and the Art Dept. insisting on cranking up the reqs for displaying their beloved masterpieces to the stratosphere [citation needed, but going by my own experience...]. There was many a time when my old, beloved WinXP computer couldn't even get me into my OWN house (as Uwk, back when we were limited to only one), let alone a guild hall stuffed to the rafters in the entry room. :-/

It was one of the things I loved about Clan Mawr when I was in that guild: they had a Tier 3 Antonica, but when you zoned in, there was only about 100 items, max, in the initial area of the outdoor court. Within about the equivalent of oh, say, 20'-30', there was a big garden of immovable/un-get-around-able plants and very obvious stepping stones leading to a very obvious teleport pad (max. sized, I think). This would then take you out to one of the multitudinous areas in "Antonica," in the break-out. The crafter area was in the little box canyon on the way to the Stormhold instance; the Banker/Broker/etc. were around where the gnoll pond with the hunk of Luclin would be (no water); the transport portals, Guild Hall call statues, etc. were all on the lighthouse island; the trophy hall was hundreds of yards away from anything else; there was a "park your flying mount up here and practice your Safe Fall" glass floor restaurant hundreds of yards up, etc. In each region, there was no more than 100 or so items, so none of the areas you'd zone into would be overwhelming an old computer.

With everyone, just about, on at least Win7 if not higher these days (my beloved XP finally died), there should be a lot less issues being able to get folks into a house or Hall, even with the "doubled up" count these days (Items/Building Blocks). There's no way my old clunker would've been able to handle all that these days. :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

The house I was talking about with the hideous floor in the other thread has a darn spider that will not stay on the table no matter what I do. If I stay in the building with it, it will stay on the table as long as I stare at it, turn my back or leave the building it leaps off the table.

Why have a stay option on the pet if it is not going to stay?
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen! I like Cey's suggestion(s) a lot! :D

Hey, Cey, have you put that/those suggestion(s) of yours on the generic housing Wish List? We actually wind up getting quite a lot of our requests fulfilled from there. :)

Uwk
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Maybe they couldn't do it on the pets as part of the pet thing directly, but perhaps with an outside device, like what Cey had in mind, applied to the pet...I dunno. :-/

Crossing fingers for any workable suggestion, though! :D

Uwk
  15. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

They can make a Pet-A-Morph wand so your pet doesn't look like what it is, but they can not make a Stuff-Your-Pet wand so it stays where you want it to.

Or maybe an Kill-And-Stuff-Your-Pet wand so it never moves again?
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Bah, they should be able to. Sounds like one of those "oh, oh, oh, we can't do that, we can't do that, oh, oh, oh, please don't bring it up again, oh, oh, oh" things like the more than 48-slot bags, the Frostfell crafting stations, the etc., etc., etc. that they come up with in like a month or less when they really try hard. :-/

Uwk
    who takes each claim of that nowadays with a major grain of salt...if not a full salt lick block
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  17. Breanna Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the Doctor Who that has the angels in it. Every time you turn your back on them they move, only not in a good way LOL
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

LOL! Exactly! "Weeping Angels"...brr. :-/

Uwk
    who's firmly convinced that, since they're "quantum life forms," they're probably something the Time Lords came up with...in the two-part story arc, "The End of Time" (10th Doctor), there's a couple of High Council members that have their faces covered exactly like the Angels, and they were the ones who voted against Lord High President Rassilon's bat-crap crazy scheme :-/
  19. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

oooo create a mannequin and actor that is incongruous pet-shape until you apply a pet, mount, or petamorph wand to it it's appearance windows. Then you could choose for it to just be inactive or have limited interactions (jump, nuzzle, limited 10-step walk path, greet, sleep, stretch, defensive stance, growl, roar/bleat/bark, nudge, eat/drink stance, roll over).
  20. Merriel Well-Known Member

This is because of the rendering issue. Pets are like characters, not plushies, so the pet will render before the building blocks and house items. Hence why I did make my suggestion in this thread, or alternatively, they could do as Cey suggested and give us taxidermy wands to permanently change our 'pets' into plushies. :D