Clear Windows for player house build projects

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Sagedust, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Sagedust Member

I was wondering if the devs would be willing to make clear windows as a house item or building block to craft or buy in some. A good example to go buy would be the windows in some of the guild halls, Kelethin, Halas and Gorowyn player houses. The windows that you craft from the festivals aren't necessarily good for everyone's taste and the umbrite windows don't have the look that I'm looking for either. Clear glass ones would be a good addition. I'm in the middle of building a castle and would love something different if it's possible. I've tried the polished ice tiles and they give off a weird positive/negative effect.
  2. Mythical House Item Well-Known Member

There are Misty Fog Tiles you can get from Moonlight Enchantments, also Vampiric Mirrors. That is what everyone generally uses.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I think anything truly "clear" would have to have some sort of "frame"; the Water Tiles we have are hard enough to wrestle around in the first initial placement. They don't need a "frame" because they're actually solid (not a bad option for a window, I'll grant) and have a "flowing current" to them, some visual thing, which may help the programmers realize it as well, software-wise (probably what also helps out the Misty tiles). Although, I can see it interfering, in a way, with the whole glass look; most glass, even the cloudy glass 99.9% of the people who had it in the first place (actually pretty rare in medieval/Renaissance houses; most folks used oiled rawhide, isinglass, etc.) had to put up with didn't have stuff swirling across it all the time. :-/

Actually, the Polished Ice stuff might be the most accurate, historically...although I've seen lots of folks place "windows" with the Cloudy Squares beyond them ("Look! Sky!"), or a painting for an outdoor landscape, etc. Or even just putting up a few Railings in an empty square in a wall and faking it ("Look! Really, really, really clear glass! :D"); heck, maybe they should do that for us, for things that could fit in all the holes they've given us in the fancy Dividers, in each tier, so we don't have to spend like six to eight items (four for a "frame," another two->four for a cross-piece for four "window panes") per window. That should be frame enough for them to put something translucent/transparent enough within that frame that doesn't move. ;->

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Karamella like this.
  4. Mirt Well-Known Member

Clear house windows are definitely something a lot of players want.
  5. Breanna Well-Known Member

Didn't Landmark have clear windows? Or am I remembering something else? Seems they could pull the code or whatever from that since it was their game too.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ohhh, if they wanted to/HAD the code (documentation, anyone?), there's a ton they could get off Landmark..."cutting" tools, for one, for making holes in things in various shapes the way WE would want (circles, triangles, squares, rectangles, cones, etc.). :(

Uwk
    Sagedust, Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I hate to burst anybody's bubble, but the physicist in me is screaming. All glass flows!!! If you had a video camera that you could set to slow motion and record a glass pane you would see that over time your window panes are flowing like lava.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Over time, yeah, but not while you're just standing there, watching on a daily basis! ;->

Hmm...on the other hand, time does move differently on Norrath than it does here...

Uwk
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It flows so slow you'd need several decades, though.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And wouldn't the "currents" all be flowing in the direction of gravity? :-/

(Which would make Tapestries of the Steam Lord still quite viable...)

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Sp, I have a Cainet of Curiosities I'm building, and I was intending a glass front using some kind of tiles. Would I be better off with the misty tiles, polished ice, or what? I will be grabbing the tiles at the next Moonlight Enchantments.
  12. Breanna Well-Known Member

Can you see through the Polished Ice tiles? I may be remembering wrong ( I usually do) but are they the ones that are sort of whitish and you can't see through? I've always used the mirrors if I want it to look like glass and then find a way to hide the border. I used one of the clear mirrors for my tv which worked well because I just used the border for the television border.

Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

The Polished Ice things from the New Halas festival(s) are translucent->transparent-ish; better than the Frozen Tiles you can get from the merchants at Frostfell, which are completely solid, whether Light or Dark. :-/

Now, if those Frozen Tiles were slick enough to make into an ice rink, that would be something... ;->

But I use the Polished Ice for "see-through" scaffolding when I still feel the need for it when decorating; I always try to remember to keep out a Polished Ice Narrow Divider, a Polished Ice Stair, and a Polished Ice Tile in my inventory bags. :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Sigrdrifa and Breanna like this.
  14. Sharann Well-Known Member

Ooooh yes please!!!! Been wanting them for so long I can't even remember :cool:
  15. Merriel Well-Known Member

I would be happy if they would give us the polished ice tinted in different colors too. Kind of like, you know how you used to be able to stick glass bottles out in the sunlight and they would change colors on you. That was the coolest thing ever. Glass these days doesn't do that, hehe. I can see glass windows back in the day changing color to become tinted in red or green or blue or whatever as they age. :D
  16. Sagedust Member

It gives a negative effect to the outside
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

???

Not sure what that means, but I know the Polished Ice stuff from either the New Halas City Festivals or the Marketplace (better to get it at NH; that way, you can get Triangle "Tiles," too) tends to cancel out particle effects when it's looked through at a particle effect generating item behind it; in other words, with the Divider or whatever between you and the particle item. No snow/ice blowing effects, no bubbles, no glowing lines from the Gold or Purple Balls (though I'm actually not sure about those; would have to check), etc.

Uwk
    Juraiya, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.