Nagafen PvP Server - Coming March 16, 2019!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roxxlyy, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Roxxlyy Community Relations

Hail, Warriors!

Over the last couple of weeks, Norrath's bravest have helped us Beta test a new Seasonal PvP server. Your feedback was truly invaluable, and today, we're happy to announce that the Nagafen Server will be launched as a Live server on Saturday, March 16, 2019!

[IMG]

There's a lot to be taken in when it comes to a PvP server, so we've broken it all down below.

Single Character Restriction
    Each account will only be able to create a single character on Nagafen, so be diligent when deciding on a race and class! And of course, know that with only one character, you will become known for the choices you make and your victories in battle.

Level Progression
    This is a PvP server, so the majority of your progression will come from PvP fights. When you defeat an opponent, you will be given an XP reward, with unique kills giving you much more experience than players you have taken down previously. Quest experience will be the next best experience available, with NPC encounter experience rewards being relatively low in comparison.
    You will not have the ability to disable PvP experience rewards.

Leaderboard
    You will find a PvP leaderboard within both Freeport and Qeynos which will display a sortable list of all leaderboards. Being on top comes with some drawbacks, however, as players who find themselves on the top of the charts will also find themselves becoming the target of bounty missions.

Free-For-All PvP
    PvP combat will be free-for-all and factionless, which means that anyone outside of your group or raid will be considered a hostile target. Every player is a potential target, and every player is a potential group mate, so you'd better learn how to make friends fast.

Zones and Player Vs. Player Level Range
    "Newbie" zones will have a 4 level PvP range. Zones that are included in the 4 level PvP range are: Antonica, Commonlands, Darklight Wood, Frostfang Sea, Oakmyst Forest, Outpost of the Overlord, Queen's Colony, The Caves, The Forest Ruins, The Graveyard, The Peat Bog, The Ruins, The Sprawl, The Sunken City, Big Bend, Stonestair Byway, Temple Street, Beggar's Court, Longshadow Alley, Scale Yard, Nettleville, Starcrest Commune, Graystone Yard, Castleview Hamlet, The Willow Wood, and The Baubbleshire. Normal zones will have an 8 level PvP range and zones intended for level 40+ will have an unlimited PvP range. The only non-PvP zones will be Freeport and Qeynos. All other zones are open for business.

PvP Death
    Characters that are killed in PvP will drop up to 70% of the coin they are carrying with them. Coin kept in the bank is not affected. There is also a high chance that they will drop one of the tradeable items that they are carrying in their bags, if you're lucky!

Itemization and Balance
    Early game itemization encounter balance is going through a full update to verify that progression meets expected standards, and will affect all servers. Current plans are to have the full itemization balance completed for original launch content up through Rise of Kunark, and it will touch all items that fall within those level ranges. Once all current Time-Locked servers progress past the Destiny of Velious expansion, and before future Time-Locked servers, such as Kaladim, reach those expansions, the remaining re-itemization for The Shadow Odyssey, Sentinel's Fate and Destiny of Velious expansions will be implemented.
    Nagafen also has a custom item ruleset that allows us to restrict or reduce stats that cause PvP balance issues, and we will be working to make sure things stay as balanced as possible.
    Additionally, unique treasure rewards will be available from heroic and raid contested encounters in all overland and contested dungeons. These rewards will only be available on a PvP server.

Ability Balance
    Each profession and AA ability have been getting a full review and update, and PvP specific templates are being updated on abilities that require them, such as control abilities.

Server Era and Seasons
    The first month of the Nagafen Event Server will consist of classic Shattered Lands content. The second month will unlock the Desert of Flames expansion, raising the level cap to 60. The third month will bring on the Kingdom of Sky Expansion, increasing the level cap again to 70 and unlocking the Alternate Advancement Subclass Window unlocked with a 50 AA cap.
    During the season, players can unique titles and a special set of Nagafen appearance armor if they complete season-specific objectives. Plus, the character with the most unique kills will earn a unique title - which will be only one individual on all of Nagafen. When a season ends, these rewards will carry over to future seasons so you can display your PvP prowess.
    Later seasons may also unlock different expansions, but those announcements will come at a later date.

All Access Membership Required
    Like other progression and special ruleset servers, you’ll need an All Access Membership to access Nagafen. To learn more about All Access, you can click here.

We look forward to seeing you on Nagafen, the PvP Event Server, starting on Saturday, March 16!
    Pijotre likes this.
  2. The Fonz Active Member

It doesn’t explicitly state, but char wipes after each season?
    Mercone likes this.
  3. Roxxlyy Community Relations

Yes, that's currently the plan, though Season rewards will carry over.
  4. The Fonz Active Member

I hope the server is a success, but I still think that the char wipes deter a huge part of the potential pvp population. I understand both sides of the issue, I just think it’s a mistake.
    Mercone, Durzo, Winter and 3 others like this.
  5. Ajjantis Well-Known Member

I wish we could save a character template and you wouldnt delete the chars. People are gonna have issues with their names etc.
    Fetish and Winter like this.
  6. Siren Well-Known Member

Is there an exact time proposed for the launch of this server on March 16th? (Disregarding any potential launch problems.)
  7. Siren Well-Known Member

Yeah, but say multiple people want a name for the first season and of course only one person gets it. Well, what if that 1st person isn't playing for the second season? All character progress is going to be wiped anyway-- it isn't fair for someone to reserve a name for the 2nd season then not show up. That's probably why everything including names is getting wiped after each season. It gives everyone a fair chance for the next season, coming out of the gate.
  8. Arkaynon New Member

I was super psyched about this but now I'm not so sure. I was hoping DBG would of rethought about wiping characters but going forward I'm not sure if I will subscribe. I work 60+ hrs a week and cannot commit 40hrs a week or more like the full time players. I'm kinda disappointed I'm not gonna lie.
    Mercone, Umuk, Nnightmare and 3 others like this.
  9. Peace Member

Well, I was looking forwards to this, was a player on the old server, but I'm the type of person that doesn't deleat my 'playing pieces'. Way back on eq 1 I had a character on each of the three pvp servers, liked the rp pvp one the best, don't remember if that was Sullon or one of the others at this point. Was disappointed to see it (Nafagen) get taken down, but understood why.... with the server being deserted, but still missed having that option. So origionally really looking forwards to the opening of this new pvp server. Now I'm not. Character wipes? Whats the point of playing then. I'm more a roleplayer, and liked the aspect pvp could give to rp. The end of the guild war function in eq1, along with the many 'nerfs' , especially to the sk and necro life leach/harm touch lines, was what eventually drove me away from that game. Wipe my character that I spend a lot of time on to get him /her up and keep up with the Jonses? No thanks.... I guess I will stick to AB.
    Umuk, Nnightmare, Siren and 1 other person like this.
  10. Winter New Member

Was very psyched for this. Love FFA. Love single char. Can't pay $$ to lose everything after 90 days. I won't be playing :(
  11. Siren Well-Known Member

Where PvP XP is still high, and can't be disabled, you'd think no one would even be able to twink until the end game of each expansion anyway. In which case, what is up with the character wipes? :confused:

Even a couple months per expansion prevents too much player power from building up, never mind only 1 month between, especially where crafting XP is virtually nerfed into the ground so that no one will even bother with it and there aren't even AAs at all until KoS (and even then, there are only 50).

I wish we could get an official statement as to why they have to wipe characters, as it seems the biggest turnoff. They've already said on Discord they're working on tons of expansions, AAs, classes and content all customized for Nagafen. So why not make Nagafen permanent, give a couple/few months in between each expansion, and keep it going?

The only silver lining in the cloud for me with seasons and wipes is that I'm hoping, at some season in the future, to have factional PvP and Exiles again instead of FFA. But even I would greatly prefer a permanent FFA server any day of the week over a different 3 month seasonal choice at some point in the future.

And maybe someday they could launch a 2nd permanent server that is factional PvP with Exiles anyway, even if they did make this FFA Nagafen permanent. Fallen Gate is getting DoV in a few days, even with Kaladim coming, after all. There could be room for 2 PvP servers, one FFA and one factional with Exiles, eventually too.
    Nnightmare likes this.
  12. Xiao Member

I'm not trying to be mean, but helpful. If things like server wipes, FFA, and not getting your name is whats keeping you from playing on Nagafen you should probably play on the PvE TLE.

Thank me later
  13. Twelvetrees Member

What is the title award for most unique kills?
  14. line110 New Member

I have to admit that I am also very disappointed in this server model. What eq2 has made was just the pve in combination with pvp what has made the world dangerous and exciting. I think nothing of ffa and sasion pvp because I'm not ready every time to start a new character. ffa is probably necessary because the number of players is too low but cohesion will not exist. I have the old naghafen server very much loved and long active played this would have been a server model what I would have fun or at least in tle server like deathdoll with fraction pvp.

Nevertheless, I thank you for the experiment and wish you the best of luck with your project
    Mercone, Nnightmare and Siren like this.
  15. Leaf New Member

So Nagafen is basically turning an mmorpg into a BG?
    I dont fault the devs for trying to cash in on the success of other bg models like League of legends and Fortnite but calling it Nagafen will just confuse people who wanted to re-live the glory days of the old nagafen (i was there).

I dont understand why you cant just release a game that is designed to last instead of cash grabbing on this and the time locked servers
    Mercone, Nnightmare and Siren like this.
  16. The Fonz Active Member

So because people who want PvP but are turned-off by a significant design concept should somehow be satisfied by a PvE server? Makes total sense.
    Nnightmare and Siren like this.
  17. Jeremyah New Member

I have to agree that server wipes every 3 months is a huge turn off. Isn't the whole point of raising the level cap and having a whole new tier of gear and stats kind of the built in reset of each expansion anyways? So how does it make sense to reset everyone at level 1 AND release a new expansion to boot. It is like restarting a race that just gets longer every time you do it.... I have always come back to eq2 throughout the years and have been loving the idea of a Nagafen come back, but if all of our hard work is deleted after 3 months to just go through the grind again, I don't suspect the server will survive the first wipe. I mean, yeah... great....1 person! gets to bring a title with them, and everyone else who kills a few people gets some crappy appearance armor that looks like literally everyone else on the server who can zerg a few hundred kills in those 3 months......(Who is actually going to care about or wear that junk after a wipe?) People might still try it, maybe in denial, or in hopes it will get changed before it actually happens. However if and when it does happen, I reckon a huge % of people won't return for season 2. But hey, maybe DBG is OK with that, the money grab culture is real these days...just saying. For those of us who subscribed again so we could actually use market and chat in beta, we are now sitting with a useless membership for almost a month until launch. Why the beta wasn't kept open up until launch is beyond me. Seems a little shady right from the start.
  18. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Welp, appreciate the effort.

I could care less about the character wipes, but, there is nothing interesting or better in this offer. Same broken design, but with ffa and 12 week seasons.

Hope folks that play it have a good time :)
  19. The Fonz Active Member

"Hail, Warriors!

Over the last couple of weeks, Norrath's bravest have helped us Beta test a new Seasonal PvP server. Your feedback was truly invaluable"

Was it? Because I could have sworn the majority of the vocal PvP population said "no wipes".
    Mercone, Umuk, Siren and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jeremyah New Member

Terrible plan. Only season rewards people want is to be able to carry over the character they spent 3 months building.
    Mercone likes this.