Helloooooooo!!!!!

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Niboota, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Niboota Well-Known Member

*waves enthusiastically*
    A friend told me a couple people were wondering about where I've gone, so I thought I'd drop in and give you guys an update! Febrith is quite right... I haven't posted a thing on these forums in 18 months, and that request for a complete list of your finished homes was for my Evertour journal (aka my Niboota journal), which I no longer update.

Of course I still love you!!! :D I will always love this game and all the wonderful decorators who play it! I really do miss you guys, however....

I have stayed really busy for the last several years. I kept telling myself I was going to get some free time to play, then never do. Really I think I've just lost interest in games for the most part, because the truth is you make time for the things that are important to you, and I fill my free time with other interests. I have played for short periods of time here and there, once or twice a year. I do keep my subscription active and buy all the expansions in case I decide to return regularly at some point. I was going to keep up my carpentry, but that grind after level 100... ugh. Terrible. I just can't stay playing long enough to get there, and since I'm out of touch, I have no idea how do it efficiently.

I also don't tour anymore - at least I don't make videos when I do. There are several people doing video tours now, so I feel the baton has been successfully passed to those girls, whom I thank profusely!! It had become such a huge undertaking, that I could not keep up with all the tour requests, even when I was playing all the time!

I spend most of my free time on books these days, and I hang out on Goodreads/my Kindle a lot. I LOVE all the book tracking and Kindle interaction! I started a book club there 6 months ago or so, and I have a lot of fun with that. Oh and feel free to friend me, if any of you are on Goodreads! My name there is Emnoir (I know some of you have done that already!)

Something else I should mention, in case any of you were still following me on Facebook or Twitter... I have deleted my Facebook and Twitter accounts. I was starting to get really creeped out by all the information tracking, and considering what's going on in China with that whole social point system... I'm feeling a little claustrophobic online and decided to reduce my footprint. I'm having nightmares about every dystopian novel I've ever read coming true!

But if any of you would like to keep track of me, you can follow me on my other journal emnoir.wordpress.com. I do update this journal regularly. I am in the slow process of moving all my Everquest 2 video posts to this journal, so I can keep all my online interests in one place. I have just started teaching myself carpentry for real (I want to build and revamp furniture), and I've been playing with the idea of making videos of my adventures.
    Blazen, Faeonara, Merriel and 4 others like this.
  2. Febrith Well-Known Member

There she is /hugs my cupcake-lovin' bookworm:)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Request sent on goodreads (AR Swift).
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Woo-hoo! Nice to see you again, Nib! :D

We miss you! :D

Uwk
    checking out this whole "Goodreads" thing (though if I ever do get into e-books, it'll probably be with the Nook, since I don't trust Amazon for that [just about everything else, sure])
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Kuulei Well-Known Member

*snipped*
    If you do care to spend a day or two in the game, you can easily get to 110 crafter just running the PoP timeline.
    It is nice to see you're still with us in spirit! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and are ready for the New Year!
    /hugs from Kuu
  6. Niboota Well-Known Member

:D I've had to love the cupcakes less. Apparently when you hang out at in a cupcake shop, they start to stick to you! :p
  7. Niboota Well-Known Member

Seen and accepted!! :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  8. Niboota Well-Known Member

Well I am a passionate reader, so Goodreads is my virtual home ;). I still prefer real books, but the Kindle versions (or e-books), are SOOO convenient!!
  9. Niboota Well-Known Member

I probably will sit down and catch up one of these days if I can really get it done in a reasonable amount of time! Thanks for the info! :)
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

From what I understand, it's way easier if "all" you're interested in is crafting and/or decorating. The steepness of the participatory curves for adventurers is getting nigh-on ridiculous, from what I've heard. :-/

Uwk
    Soara2, Breanna and Niboota like this.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I don't mind PDF versions of things on my desktop, I must admit, and I love good movie/TV transcript sites; finally managed to sit down for a bit and grab the rest of the Doctor Who episodes I needed. ;->

Uwk
    who has them all now, from the 1st Doctor through the 13th! :D
    Niboota likes this.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

My mum and brother loved Doctor Who, I did/do not.

I loved The Prisoner though and my mum and brother hated it.
  13. Niboota Well-Known Member

I like them on my Kindle, so I can carry it in my purse and have access to my books anywhere I go! ;)
  14. Febrith Well-Known Member

This ^^:)

I literally never go anywhere without it - you just never know when you're going to end up waiting (dentist - traffic queues etc) and I'm the sort of person who hates wasting time. I'm reading the AlterWorld series again at the moment - check it out - the author is D Rus and it's basically about going into perma gaming mode (i.e transference of your consciousness into the game) in a world not dissimilar to Norrath:)
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

LOL! Talk about complete opposites in family fandom...though I'm not sure what it says about Da Hubster of mine, since he's a huge fan of both. ;->

Uwk
    who still might contemplate the Nook; wonder if they have access to the same titles as the Kindle? They should, I'm thinking; e-rights are e-rights? :-/
    Breanna likes this.
  16. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

It probably has more to do with which company has more money available to contract a right to sell from the publishing house and whether they have an exclusive contract to sell.

I can get almost any book on my iPad through the Apple store but I cannot bring myself to pay $9.99 for a book that is not on paper with a cover. True, Apple retains the purchase history so if you get another Apple device you can take your purchases onto that device, but still, for $10, I want a physical book that I can pick up and read if the power goes out and my device is not charged.

And I even have 4 of the portable power hubs which each hold between 2 and 10 hours of charge depending on what you are doing. But I still want a physical book if it is going to cost any more than $5... *laughs* yes, I am El Cheapo.

Additionally, I would not want any publishing house that has agreed to change things which they sell through Walmart. Has anybody noticed that CDs and such you may buy from Walmart while they have the same title as one you purchase from another retailer (not Walmart), have been censored? Walmart requires that music producers alter lyrics in songs if they deem them to not be family friendly. I have 2 copies of a Toby Keith CD, one from Walmart and one from Best Buy, the lyrics on one of the songs on the CD from Walmart have been changed so "we'll put a boot in your a$$, its the American way", does not use that language. There is a sticker on the CD purchased from Walmart that says "Family Friendly", that sticker is not on the copy from Best Buy which has the original lyrics as they were written and recorded.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Yet other reasons to detest both Apple and Walmart! :D

The thing that concerns me about the entire e-book idea is that it's way too easy for the store (only Amazon so far; hopefully Barnes and Noble has more sense) to all but literally come into your house and STEAL a book that you paid good money for, because they messed up. Basically, Amazon released an e-version of, ironically, 1984 without first securing the e-rights for it. As a result of this oversight, they removed it from people's Kindles, with no warning and no refund/exchange. Hence, not trusting them for something like this. :-/

Uwk
    who will only get a Samsung phone with Android, if ever a smart phone should grace our house (Da Hubster's work phone doesn't count) ;->
    Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  18. Niboota Well-Known Member

Exactly!!! will do!
    EDIT: Just looked... I have actually already looked at that Alterworld series, but it didn't appeal to me. I like a different sort of LitRPG, if I'm going read that genre at all. Most of it doesn't speak to me. I have read 2 of the Threadbare series though and have the third!
  19. Niboota Well-Known Member

Also you do not actually own your ebooks. You are purchasing a license to use the ebook software, which they can revoke at any time without compensating you. In other words... they have the right to change the content at any time or straight up delete any book they want from all your devices and not refund your money. I personally see modern book banning and censoring in our the near future. I want a physical copy, so it can't be tampered with, so I buy hard copies of most books, even when I have the Kindle version. You can often read the Kindle version for free if you have purchased a physical copy - on Amazon anyway. That may only apply to Prime members though. I'm not sure. Like you, I have a Kindle book price limit as well. Mine is $5, but normally I won't pay over $3.
  20. Niboota Well-Known Member

Y=
    HA! I JUST responded to her about this very thing, except my real concern is the idea that they can censor and ban books at will. That's scary. However it the case you are talking about here, it wasn't Amazon's mistake. It was the company who added the book to Amazon for sale. This company added 1984 and Animal Farm to their Amazon store without having first secured the rights to publish those books in any form, so Amazon remotely erased them both from all users who had purchased them - and of course no one was compensated.