Daybreak Winter Extravaganza! December 18 - 31

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roxxlyy, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alyndrys Well-Known Member

LOTRO had a Lifetime sub offered years ago and it is still running !
    Ratala and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Sikkun Member

They did lifetime for DCUO, not sure about any of the H1Z1. But I’ve had a lifetime all access account for about 7 years now, so that worked out well.
  3. zoee New Member

I keep getting an error message when I try to buy the life time. Are there that many players rushing to buy the life time member ship at one time?
  4. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

The money will be in the bank. The tos clearly states there are no refunds for unused anything.

What is realized as income for tax purposes is relevant only for tax purposes.

I will also point out that the only way this offer makes sense for DBG is if:

(1) They want/need a million bucks now as opposed to more bucks over time, and
    (2) It will actually be more profitable to close things inside of 2.5 years.

The incentives to DBG here don't paint a rosy picture.
    Xillean, Castegyre, Rhodris and 3 others like this.
  5. Jaenis Member

Be Wary. Daybreak is hurting for cash. This is their way of a quick 1.2 mil influx of cash to a dying studio. (4000 x $299.99). Anyone with a brain cell should be cautious.

At the current non discounted sub rate of $14.99/mo - Daybreak would need to keep the doors open for 20 more months before a break even on this "deal" exists. Subjective thinking considering NantWorks (another investment firm) just bought into Daybreak in Sept.with little to no ROI to date.

I'm curious to know if they even have 4000 subscribers these days to be honest. /shrug

Regards.
    Xillean, Whiomaju, Rhodris and 2 others like this.
  6. Eradani Well-Known Member

this is to keep the whales around. $15 a month is nothing compared to what they spend in the cash store and selling lifetime memberships will incentivize them to never quit as well as the nice $1.2m infusion for DBG.
  7. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I'm on the fence about buying lifetime subscription so I've been looking around and there are some data points that have me concerned.

Macro Points:

1. Uncertainty about the US Economy from 2019-2022. One publication is predicting a recession in late 2019. Can Daybreak withstand this kind of shock?

2. Two rounds of Daybreak layoffs in 2018 which were unannounced and led to a reduction in one-third of their workforce. (Probably related to H1Z1 and Planetside Arena development). I suspect we are not in the clear yet...

3. Nantworks, Daybreak's major investor, has specified interest in moving the IPs to mobile devices. There are competing visions that may not play into EQ franchise's hand.

Micro Points:

1. Planetside Arena will erect high paywalls. As of December 2018, Daybreak is requiring players to purchase the base game and, on top of that, seasonal battle passes. Furthermore, the game is not cross-platform yet. I am not sure how they will draw lots of players to the BR title without F2P. (Planetside Arena does not show genre disrupting characteristics so natural appeal will be limited).

2. There's a major decline over at H1Z1. On Steam, as of November 2018, players are claiming a population of <2000 players. This is a really poor number especially in comparison to Fortnite which has claimed 78.3 million active players on August 2018. Wasn't H1Z1 THE original AAA Battle Royale title with perhaps a development budget equivalent or greater than Fortnite and PUBG?

3. Yes, I even checked out Daybreak's Glassdoor reviews. There are mixed reviews but many employees rate the workplace in the negative. Draw what you want from this.

Someone mentioned SOE/Daybreak's sale of Lifetime subscriptions on Free Realms in June 2010 and game closure in March 2014. Vanguard went F2P in August 2012 and shuttered in July 2014. This may be the parameters that Daybreak is relying on - estimated 2-4 years left in game support including maintenance mode.
    Xillean, Whiomaju, Rhodris and 2 others like this.
  8. Roxxlyy Community Relations

To confirm, this is correct. Bonuses only come with the 12-month membership - the deals are listed here: https://www.everquest2.com/membership

Yes, you will still receive your monthly DBC claim even with the lifetime membership!
    Pixistik, Breanna, Xillean and 3 others like this.
  9. Bella222 Active Member

Have you all looked at the EQ forum? Meeps has replied there several times to their questions/concerns. They also say they have taken fewer losses to Daybreak staff than other games.

It would be legal for Daybreak to cancel SOME of the games or stop supporting them as long as they keep supporting one game. We have fewer players by far than EQ1. They only mention lifetime All Access - not for which games..

If you care about us here at EQ2 Daybreak, please let some staff person reply to all our concerns. I, personally, would be happy to support by buying lifetimes for my 2 main accounts if I felt a little reassurance that EQ2 would still be around. I really don't care as much for the other games.
    Rhodris likes this.
  10. Tekka Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind the 200$ membership purchase getting the bonuses, while the 300$ membership purchase does not?

It seems like both sets of customers should be rewarded for investing in the game.
  11. Tekka Well-Known Member

The first sale of lifetime subscription for LoTRO (I think they've had 2 now) was back when the game was in it's prime. Not a floundering, 15 year old game (in EQ2's case, 20 years for EQ1, etc), so the situation is slightly different.

I was a Founder for Landmark, the day it opened for Alpha, 100$ - so was my partner.

The thing to ask yourself, before you spend 300$, or even 200$: If a week, or a month, or six months from now, they announce the game is being closed, will I feel like I've wasted my money?

If the answer is yes, don't buy. continue your monthly sub for as long as you're enjoying it.

If the answer is no, whip out that credit card and swipe it while it's hot.

~Game On!~
    GrunEQ, Xillean, Mellody and 6 others like this.
  12. JoeBoo Member

I quit being a sheep long ago, come out into the light and don't drink the koolaid!! :D:p
    Mizgamer62 and Rhodris like this.
  13. Alyndrys Well-Known Member

It comes down in the end to personal preference and... availability of money sitting around ready to be thrown out the window ... :)
    Xillean, JoeBoo, Rosyposy and 3 others like this.
  14. NurmYokai New Member

The massive layoffs and cash infusion mean the game will be here 2.5 years from now.
    Different owner?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  15. Siren Well-Known Member

By all rights, it should be NantWorks doing the cash infusion. If it's not, that's a cause for worry-- not so much for the mobile schlock that's incoming, but for the old franchises like Everquest that could be getting lined up for life support, shuttering, or wholesaling off.
    NurmYokai likes this.
  16. Dead Alt Account Well-Known Member

I think the real question is how many new expansions do you expect in the break-even timeframe. I remember EQOA only had one expansion in late 2003, but they didn't close it down until 2012. Of course, EQ2 was owned by SOE then, but it does indicate that it shouldn't cost an exorbitant amount of money to keep the servers running without new expansions.
  17. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

DBG's logic is ok here.

Buy 12 months up front, get some extra goodies.

Buy a lifetime, and at month 31 the realized benefit is no more membership fees (I'll be curious to see if they actually do continue to award dbc).

The question is, for people playing this game, will they play any of the other titles if the game folds before 30 months?

Not saying it will fold, but they need to assess that likelihood. The only way this decision makes sense for consumers:

1. 100% confident eq2 will be up in month 31, or
    2. 100% confident other dbg titles will exist AND will switch to another dbg title if eq2 doesn't make it.

If for example, one assess the liklihood at 50%, then the most one should pay is $300*50% = $150, so in that case, the decision should be "pass".

So assess the level of your confidence, and if less than 100% you get to month 31, you shouldn't buy it, otherwise, go for it :).
  18. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Offering a lifetime membership when the game is now, what, 15 years old.....seems very, very odd. Lifetime memberships are usually offered fairly early in a game's lifecycle (e.g. LOTRO), not in its twilight years. So you have to wonder why now, rather than 5 or more years ago, when it made more sense to do.

This is the major thing that sets alarm bells ringing for me.
    Juraiya, Xillean, Siren and 4 others like this.
  19. Revel Well-Known Member

I'd seriously advise against it unless you play EQ1, which is in much healthier shape than EQ2. Even then, I'd be cautious. EQNext/Landmark people lost their investments too. Daybreak badly needs money, its why they are doing this as well as offering past preorder items for insane amounts of DBC. 2 rounds of layoffs in the past year. The only thing in the pipeline is a reskinned/updated version of Planetside 2. I'd be wary.
    Xillean, Meneltel, Siren and 2 others like this.
  20. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

And don't forget - it doesn't mean that you will get all new expansions for free. You will still be required to buy those on top of your lifetime subscription.

Tekka makes a good point. LOTRO's lifetime sub was at the beginning of its lifecycle, not 15 years down the track. Why would anyone with an ounce of common sense be tempted to buy a lifetime access sub for a game that is very obviously in its twilight years, unless they are happy to switch to another in the stable that may continue after this one has shuttered? Can EQ2 players transition happily to DCUO in that case? If not, why waste your money?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.