Returning Player. Where can I get Planar Fragments?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Bloodguts, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

I haven't played this game since Terrors of Thalumbra.

Concerned that I might be too far behind to even enjoy this expansion, my friends that still played mentioned that this is a great expansion to start playing again. So far, I believe that to be the case.

One thing that I have been unable to acquire are Planar Fragments to level my Heartseeker Hawk and Unfetter which are my Awakened Abilities. I asked in general chat where to get these items and they mentioned back in Kunark Ascending PQs, which I've done and I have yet to still acquire one.

Am I supposed to keep soloing those PQs which take a long time to do by myself to get those Planar Fragments or is there somewhere in this current expansion that I will get these Fragments? Any information would be helpful.
  2. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

I've been bringing up this topic for a while now.... Here's to hoping a new method of upgrading the epic 2.0 spells is implemented soon - with the opportunity to get all of the materials we need. I'm down to my last greater fragment and KA rares and positively dread going backwards to move forward.
    Oddly enough, I haven't seen one word from the powers that be regarding this oversight.
  3. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. They're making the recipes available for a lot of different ways (and TSers) to craft these spells except for the one ingredient that makes it possible--the fragments. And I'm sorry, running old zones for ingredients to craft things useful in a new xpac doesn't help anything. Most of us are busy trying to negotiate current content. I'd like to see these drop in the current PQs rather than the thousand a day green adorns that aren't heirloom, more horse patterns with minimal recipe availability I won't ever be able to put on mounts (even if I owned a Kentucky horse farm) or the numerous amounts of merc gear dropping. If there's consistency in complaining, this is the one thing I hear over and over again following the current Dr. Arcana PQ rewards from the library.
  4. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

I've seen the recipe drop for a guildie with the CH Tradeskill Daily Mission, but I haven't seen a Planar Fragment to drop from anywhere to create these spells.

Anyone have a better idea of where to get these Fragments from? Not having enough fervor is affecting what I can do in groups/raids and I need to increase the levels on Unfetter which is my fervor buff.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Greater Planar Fragments drop from KA PQs. Possibly also PoP PQs, but I can't swear to that. My conjy can solo the PQ nearest Twark, so it's not too awfully hard.
  6. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

I've been running the PQ and it doesn't drop for me.

Bear in mind, I didn't play during KA or PoP, so i've never done the 2.0. Someone told me that I had to do that timeline at least once on a toon. Considering I haven't done most of the timelines that it requires (Cobalt Sig, Kurn's Towers, etc.) I'm holding off on doing the 2.0 signature because it feels like it's going to be a project...

Before I go ahead and start completing all these old timelines, I would like to get some sort of confirmation that I do indeed need to get the 2.0 completed to start seeing Planar Fragments drop on any of my characters.
    Nelie likes this.
  7. Nelie Well-Known Member

^^^ This x10000000000000000000000000000000000000. I have been asking this for weeks and I really don't know how to be anymore clear. I have an illy on another account I am playing that needs the fragments but has not completed the Epic 2.0. I think 99% of the population forgot that it was a pre-req before that you needed epic 2 in order to see the fragments. I really hope Devs didnt forget about this and coded it to where if you get the CD signature done, then you can see the fragment drops. I am most likely wasting time farming old KA heroics (daily/weeklies) but so far nothing.
    Conifur likes this.
  8. Conifur Well-Known Member

The hard part is getting anything other than junk. The drop rate is horrible.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  9. avidsharer New Member

yeah after reading these posts i have no intention of EVER buying an expansion, EVER.and i just started the game a day ago and can already tell this is a purely cash grab with no end game/spell/ etc fixes. how sad. looks like daybreak doesnt value its customers.
  10. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

Lesser and Superior fragments can be gotten from general mission questing. They were pretty common drops. Greater Fragments were harder to get. They came from PQs and Raid mission completions.

I wouldn't think you would have to go back to do the 2.0 to get the planar fragments. However, since I did the timeline on many toons, I can't say yay or nay on the certainty of it (though, at this point in the game, it would utterly ridiculous if you did have to go back for it - super frown at the idea). I would tend to think that if you finished the Chaos Descending line, and were rewarded with the spells in the first place, that you would be granted access to these. (A little DEV insight on this point would be fantastic clarification!)

I do know that you have to do the timeline in KA to be able to see the Obulous Frontier PQ, and participate in it. Considering it can be spawned up every half hour and is a fairly quick kill, it is likely the best chance to get the fragments you need to upgrade your spells. Another option is to pick up the KA raid quest, and try to kill a few of the mobs to complete it, and maybe get lucky that way. They had a not good drop rate. The very last option is the most expensive, and that is to make a toon on Isle of Refuge - the free-trade bazaar of Norrath, if you will - and pop a toon to level 100, sell a krono for the plat, buy the fragments you need, and pay the $25 to ship said alt to your playing server. It would probably cost you about $40 RL cash doing it that way. IIRC it takes something like 4 of the super good fragments to level the last 2 tiers of both your spells (2 each spell, 1 for grandmaster, 1 for ancient tier). So I would suggest paying super close attention to which fragments are being consumed at crafting time as well.

Many folks I know have been wishing, and suggesting, a trade system or crunch system to upgrade 5 or 10 Superiors into Greater Fragments, but as this hasn't happened, well....You're unfortunately stuck with what's left. Good luck. Hopefully your hunting won't take a terribly long time.
    Breanna likes this.
  11. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

In the past month since I have started trying to get them, I have gotten 2 lesser from PoP duos and 1 greater from the OF pq
  12. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

Can the fragments, if muled from IoR by an alt, be given to one of your other characters on the same account? From my understanding they are tradeable on IoR but become no-trade again when brought back to a live server. So wouldn't you have to transfer your main.....(or whatever toon you needed the frags on) to IoR just to get and use them?
  13. semisus Does not play this game

They are heirloom now , so yes you can buy em on IOR and transfer em back
    ConcealFate likes this.
  14. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

Thanks for that information. It's sounding like I will definitely need to do the 2.0 as I have not received any confirmation stating that you have to get that first to start seeing the fragments drop.

I will continue working on doing Kurn's Tower access.
  15. Magmag Active Member

I legitimately laughed super hard at the Kentucky horse farm comment. It's so funny because it's true.
  16. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

Still haven't seen any Fragments of Planar Energy drop from KA, PoP or CD content. Both of my Awakened Abilities 2.0 are still Apprentice.

Anyone see where you can get these fragments at all?
  17. Vuetee Member

I have the same issue. I've done the KA signature line in order to unlock the PQ etc., I've done all weekly quests (solo, heroic and raid) in KA and not had a single one drop.

My advice would be to either a) allow them to drop in CD content once CD sig done
    b) Allow them to be purchased with tremissis/Solidus

Getting frustrating trying to get my character up to standard now. This just takes the mick. I should be able to come into the game and enjoy current content without needing to go back 5 expansions to get gear from there. Especially as a lot of this content is dependent on doing it in groups and no group would want to do that content unless they are doing you a favour.
  18. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I have not completed 2.0 on any character, I have completed KA and CD on my main and am faction grinding PoP right now. I do not have any of these fragments. My suggestion, in case someone hasn't already done so, would be to create a private message here on the forums and have Gninja, Caith, Kander, Kaitheel, Gnobrin, Ttobey, and Chrol on the recipient list. Perhaps one of them will be able to flesh out an answer here or reply to you and you can share the information in this thread.
    Breanna likes this.
  19. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

They are a possible reward from from the Ill Omen PQ. I was not able to solo it with my CD warlock (I could get through the Yha'Lei and tentacles, but couldn't damage the big critter at all). Get some folks together and run that PQ over and over.

They also are rewarded from PoP Raid weekly missions.
  20. Conifur Well-Known Member

They drop at such a low rate it is almost not even worth doing them. They are forcing you to go the DBC route to upgrade them. Those who say different at just fooling themselves. Like a lot of what they do now, it is by design.
    Rhodris and Dead Alt Account like this.