Ancient Spell Research

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Hydraulics, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Hydraulics Member

Is it intended that we can now research ancient spells on Fallen Gate? This was enabled with the expansion update. In some instances the increase is 15-20% over the grandmaster version. With research time for spells at level 90 it does not appear that we could get one spell to ancient even if we started researching on day one of SF. Thanks.
  2. Atan Well-Known Member

Welcome to more PTW!
  3. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Oh damn it.. when does it end?!
  4. Fistpower Well-Known Member

who cares. If people want to spend 30 bucks on an ancient spell that will be relevant for maybe 24 weeks so be it (Other than the low level ones, such as Blood Rage). The state of this serve requires every single whale to keep pumping money in it or its gonna have the same faith as Stormhold.
  5. Xiao Member

Let it die already
  6. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Ancient spells werent even introduced until AoM IIRC. If DBG is gonna make em purchasable with cash they should atleast put it into the game as drops as well. Grandmaster rares as well!
    Before DoV we will have ascensions already, just wait and see :p
    Momo likes this.
  7. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

My only problem is how certain abilities become just so much powerful when "anciented" that it's almost shooting yourself in the foot not to, prime examples being guardian sphere, adrenaline, tsunami, bolster, etc.

Can't keep tank alive/meet dps check? Pour more money into familiars/ancients, wow mob dead. Really makes me wanna continue raiding.

If we could actually make grandmasters I would be semi okay with it, I still think ancients should just drop off raid bosses instead of being gated behind a purely pay to win scheme or a wait until the end of the xpac to research 2-3 tops.
    Momo likes this.
  8. Atan Well-Known Member

/agree 1000%

If ancients dropped, even a single one off zone bosses in raid zones, I'd be much more comfortable with it. In fact that would really make things alot more fun and give more reason to play thru the entire expac.
  9. Baltazarr Member

How do Guardian Sphere III and Tsunami ancient compare to their GM version?
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You can check this on EQ2U using item lookup. Apparently the Guardian Sphere III ancient hasn't been discovered yet, but you can compare the other versions of the spell Ditto for Tsunami.
  11. Baltazarr Member

I’m asking because eq2u doesn’t show the ancient version.
    I don’t need to compare them to the other versions. I already know there was no point to go beyond master at least when only GM was available.
  12. Hydraulics Member

Tsunami goes from a 20.6 second duration at GM to a 21.9 second duration at ancient.
    Breanna likes this.
  13. Buffrat Well-Known Member

A lot of these ancients will be relevant for the remaining life of the server. Level 90 is a long time, and even after the level 90 content is finished it goes to 92 then 95 before going to 100.
  14. Wigglesngiggles New Member

I just love how we don't get things like guild halls because as per Kander's words (god I wish I would have taken a screenshot of the discord chat before getting banned): "it is the single worst mistake to have been made in EQ2 and if we could go back we would never have implemented them to begin with".....yet they add the ability to purchase Ancient spells in SF? Don't get me wrong, I really don't care that they are available or that people are willing to spend money on it. I just keep getting amazed at how terribly inconsistent they are with their narratives.
  15. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Same thing as familiar's and the other pay to win schemes.
  16. Miss_Jackie Active Member

Or just be like me who is too cheap to spend money on ancient spells.. Have the game research the ancient spells on its' own without any external money. :p
    Sigrdrifa and Breanna like this.
  17. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

If only it was realistic to research the ancient spells and they didn't cripple you by making the free grandmaster choice you get not be researchable.
  18. Ratface Member

Won't have time to research an Ancient and get level 90 abilities to master/expert. Can't quite recall but isn't like 60 days to take a Master to Grandmaster to Ancient.
    Kind of struck lucky because I'd already had a lot of research banked so could get a few of the lower abilities that don't upgrade to Ancient.
  19. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

A lvl 90 spell will be used all the way until AoM. That's a long time and if the server is still running at that point I would be very very surprised. With that said, I do think the research time is too long on a server where content move along 8 times faster. So I think they should make research faster.
    Ratface likes this.
  20. Nimbrithil Member

Careful, just because the spell description says something doesn't mean that is what it does, For instance, Plane Shift says it will proc 18% of the time for 40000 to 70000, I am only getting about 10k per proc