Is Voice chat down again?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Majestic, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Majestic Member

Can't get in any Voice chat e.g.Guild/Group etc.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I had this problem last night. I tried rebooting my computer and validating files, neither helped. I could hear my group-mates, I just couldn't respond. I'd mash my push-to-talk button, and the little speech cloud icon in the group window did not light up, and no one could hear me.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I wonder if this could be related to the horrific lag spikes? :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Kitty Ninja Member

Windows 10 downdate porked my VC. :mad: Backed it out and VC came back.:confused:
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

That makes a terrible amount of sense. I got a display driver screen error that led to BSOD while reading my mail this morning, which is ridiculous. I haven't reverted to an older display driver because this driver had been working Just Fine. But my machoine says the last Windows Update was Nov 11.
  6. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

First a short clip on Microsoft 1809 and graphics. 11:36 to 12:00.

It's the Windows 10 version 1809 October surprise debacle, re-loaded/re-released in November.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...ows-10-version-1809-promises-quality-changes/
    "The problem, as the most recent incident painfully illustrated, is that even as overall quality has improved, low-volume, high-impact bugs managed to evade detection."

"The company had previously announced that Windows 10 is running on 700 million monthly active devices; today's post includes the additional detail that that ecosystem includes roughly 16 million "unique hardware/driver combinations.""

Translation - Your system not one of the 16 million? Too bad, CRASH.

As of the November 13th article, how many opted to use 1809?
    • "it's also a fact that this release, which is now running on just shy of six million PCs"
    Seems like 694 million prefer not to.

For various EQ2 problems that are caused by Microsoft patches, voice chat, video, etc.? Simple* solution is to roll back the Window changes**.

* I know. It's not "simple" but it is a fix. Recommend upgrading to Window's 10 Pro, which allows blocking major updates. Or regular backups**. Or both.

** After a stable EQ2/Windows combination, I do an image backup. When Microsoft downgrades EQ2, I re-install the image and do a normal EQ2 update. Well and update every other piece of software.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Dude like this.
  7. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Voice chat in any form ALWAYS goes bonkers after every new xpac launch. It has for years. Don't know why or what causes it, but it happens. Then somewhere in the first month or so, it gets fixed.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Very odd. :-/

But, good to know that it happens... "And knowing is half the battle!" --G. I. Joe

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Aranie Member

This is still going on. Started last night and has continued into today. No one in my channel is able to get in. When I look at the voice chat box, it shows "none" for channel options. This is everyone in my chat channel, NOT just me so it is not my computer. Hope this will be fixed soon, thank you.
  10. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Yes, we're seeing the same problems. Chat channels gone on log in, and sporadically, a channel opens and closes. This isn't a personal pc issue--everyone's seeing it and yes, it's also getting annoying.
  11. Bhayar Well-Known Member

We're all experiencing this first hand and it's most definitely not an individual issue. No chat channels at all, then sporadically one shows up--not related to guild/group chat. Not sure what the problem is, but probably due to Windows upgrades and DBG's use of 32-bit code. Not an expert, but the circumstantial evidence is likely. When is DBG going to fix it is anyone's guess; given this is an MMOG, sort of tough to MMOG atm, haha
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, there are still keyboards... ;->

And not everyone has 64-bit computers. IBM used to have to have everything back-compatible for a decade or two at least, so this is nothin'. ;->

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  13. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

Looks like this new chat issue started after Tuesday's game update. Likely compounding any Windows 10 problems, which can be self fixed. If you have Windows 7 and chat issues, shrug, put it in Daybreak's lap.

Daybreak rebooted(?) everything last night, and some channels show up again. They don't function, for our groupies, but the options are back.

When grouped, a subset of machines show these options:
    1. None, Group, Local
    2. None, Guild Officers, Local, speciality channels
    3. None, speciality channels
    These characters belong to Guilds and have the same speciality channels. Meanwhile some of us are using Skype or doing conference calls (cell phones). <sarcasm> Amazing what one can do with almost two century old technology, versus 21st Century creations. <sarcasm off>

Meanwhile Daybreak can use their cut and past message: "Unfortunately we still don't have an ETA to give at this time. We're likely still (insert time frame here) away, but that is a very rough estimate which is subject to change. We are working on the tech needed to re-enable them, but are a ways out from this solution"
  14. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Let me know how often you use keyboards for grouping or raiding. And I'd also be willing to bet there are far more 64 bit OS/computers running in this game than 32 bit. That said, it is what it is.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Always, and not everyone has the latest and greatest. ;->

True. :)

Uwk
    Kheldar, Seefar and Breanna like this.