Dear Daybreak

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Miss_Jackie, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miss_Jackie Active Member

I came upon your front page hoping to find out how to earn those yummy Glub's chocolate coins. However, to my horror, I found out that you can only earn them through cash shop purchases.

(https://www.everquest2.com/news/eq2-12-days-of-frostfell-dec-2018)

My question is why? Why can't we have 2 different sources to earn out stuff? What about those of us who would rather earn our Christmas-y rewards through quests and not have to dump money we've reserved for real world Christmas purchases?

Please tell me I'm reading into this whole thing the wrong way? And that we have another way to earn those coins?

Thanks.
  2. Siren Well-Known Member

If there was a way to earn them in-game, no one would whip out their wallets I guess.
    CoLD MeTaL, Meneltel, Kheldar and 2 others like this.
  3. Chronia Member

I'm in COMPLETE agreement with you! This reeks as just another cash grab! So much for the "FrostFell" Spirit! 12 days of FrostFell?12 days of highway robbery would be more fitting. Basically these chocolate coins, end up costing more than what the vendor items themselves cost were they just sold straight out on marketplace, if not more. I agree about the holiday gifts thing too! They want to take our money when it's the time of year we should be buying RL, physical gifts for those we care for. I work hard for my Daybreak Cash and won't be dumping into services I don't need, because I honestly don't need a SINGLE one of those services.

I did the math, for 10 chocolate coins costs 4999 Daybreak Cash (Price of the 7pk Minder Bender Mercenary Holiday Bundle). I tried other combinations as well, lowest I got t was 4799 Daybreak Cash. So comparing this to the Prestige housing deeds available on Market Place, the MAXIMUM cost of currently listed Prestige housing on Market place is ONLY 1350 Daybreak Cash. Now, let's equate that to REAL money shall we? $5 nets you 500 DC. Scale that up and it will cost $50 real money (give or take a little, depending on the combination of bundles you buy) for the house deed! Ridiculous!

Very distasteful Daybreak. Very distasteful, especially this time of year.
  4. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Imagine a 1000 DBC Holiday loot crate with Snowglobe House deed (ultra rare), 3 mercs (rare), gumdrop familiars (uncommon), and other filler items (e.g. house pet; common). One could argue the 10 chocolate coin guarantee - with the purchase of a bundle (like stocking up on 7 Mindblaster mercs to save or resell) - is better than praying to the RNG Gods (where some may spend $100-$200). How many spent $$$ for Ninjabread merc?

Hypothetical break down:
    10000 DBC for $85
    *With All Access discount:
    -x2 7-pack of Mindblaster Mercs (14 merc crates - 20 coins), 2 Unattuners (1k DBC saved by membership - 2 coins) come out with: Holiday Brownie & Ogre Merc (7 + 5 coins), and Snowglobe House Deed (10 coins).*
    *Daybreak charges 8500 DBC for Planetside 2 Anniversary Bundles - so this may be considered on par.

The timing of it may be in poor taste but at least you will be one of the few who own these items (you'll feel special). Lots of other Frostfell items/events are free - just ask Santa Glug.

Edit: I posted in another thread that 10 chocolate coins could have been offered with the purchase of a 3 Krono bundle. People would take advantage of that deal.
  5. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

I can't even fathom making players pay for your anniversary bundle when it should be given for free as a thanks for playing our game.
  6. Siren Well-Known Member

Well, if a person isn't paying anything to Daybreak, then why should Daybreak thank them-- for taking up space on a server that Daybreak has to pay to maintain? For not supporting the devs so they can feed their families?

I'm sorry, but "just showing up" isn't enough.
    Victisa, Aelfan, flameweaver and 7 others like this.
  7. Finora Well-Known Member

Or they could have straight up put the items on the marketplace for X amount each like they have every other year with the holiday stuff and sold many of them that way. As it is, they've really just irritated a lot of the people who usually do their big DBC spending this time of the year so much that many are considering just not buying anything because of it.
  8. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

In fairness, the Gingerbread mercs are in loot crates (RNG-based). In all likelihood, they probably would have put this year's offerings in a holiday loot crate (note 3 new mercs) if it weren't for the FTC investigation on loot crates in the gaming industry. Daybreak has to balance between keeping "nice goods" rare and earning revenue (which was achieved by RNG) - now that the legality of crates may be in question.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/ftc-opens-a-loot-box-investigation.252990/

And, if you do have a "big DBC" budget, I am not sure of the nature of your complaint - the price per item?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  9. Finora Well-Known Member

Partly the prices, but mostly the idea that they are pushing people to buy things we wouldn't normally buy (at least in my case) to get coins to buy the holiday themed things they are actually interested in. Comes across as really slimy.

I get the loot crate thing FTC thing however, I'm not really sure how that argument holds up in this case. Encourage people to buy loot crates to buy items from a merchant. Yeah, you can buy the others stuff can get a couple coins, but the you basically get 1 chocolate coin per $5 spent (before discounts for membership).

So I for instance would have to spend $45 for a house + some status for my guild, which is pretty absurd. If the FTC thing was really what this was about, they would have just done what I said before and just stuck them on the marketplace straight up.
  10. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I think you are conflating the alternative (loot crates) with the price - it was an exercise to put the price-point in perspective: that you may be saving money at $45 price point instead of praying to the RNG Gods and blowing $120+ on a holiday crate for the same house deed. Daybreak is agreeing with you by selling it for the chocolate coins - which is, in essence, "straight up" -so your argument is moot.

So yes, what it boils down to for you is the price ("$5 per coin, $45 for the deed" in your post).

1. No one is forcing you to buy these items. There is no pressure to buy the house and mercs as they are cosmetic. No required power is being sold - i.e. some special ultra rare-level merc required to finish a timeline solo instance. Additionally, EQ2, when compared EQ1, is far down the P2W rabbit hole (so moral outrage is self-defeating).

2. Businesses can charge any price. Yeah, Daybreak is preying on the completionists and the hardcore collectors but that's where they make their money. Remember "Recruit A Friend" rewards? People were dropping $$$$ on that. EQ1 released two armor appearance sets for $100 and $200 respectively - yeah it made you look like Versace. But you know what? Power to you if you could afford it and you owned the most exclusive set of armor ever made...

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ge-and-200-for-golden-armor-ornaments.231483/
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Why not sell it for LOYALTY TOKENS. (Even if its 3 months down the line, but tell people that now).

You know, those tokens we earn for playing the game for however long. Showing Loyalty to DBG/EQ2. (Which the majority of who will have been paying subs, buying expacs & likely making DBG purchases throughout this time).

These cash shop incentives are really not helping the "DBG is milking the game for all it can now" arguments.
    knightowl, Tekka, Meneltel and 10 others like this.
  12. Dude Well-Known Member

Maybe that's because they are?
    Meneltel, Kheldar, Tkia and 3 others like this.
  13. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Quite possibly, but if they don't want that image, subtlety needs working on.
  14. Jhen Ro Active Member

15. Siren Well-Known Member

Clearly, chocolate coins cannot be sold for LOYALTY TOKENS as you so loudly request, because LOYALTY TOKENS ARE GIVEN OUT FOR FREE, to free players who pay nothing to play EQ2. Station cash shop items are paid for with real-life money, you know, that lifesaving money that puts food on the table for Daybreak devs, which in turn keeps our game open and running.
    Breanna, Cyrrena and Kuulei like this.
  16. Miss_Jackie Active Member

Yes, but loyalty coins are doubled when a player is subbed to the game (which, by the way, also helps developers put food on the table). I originally created this thread to not bash the company for putting those coins up on the market place. I only wanted a way to alternatively earn those coins (besides buying them from the market place). I never wanted them removed from there.

Let me say this again.. All I wanted was a second way to earn them. Simple as that. There are those of us who would rather have instant gratification and get those coins instantly. And then there are those of us who would rather quest for those coins. Why not have both?
    knightowl, Eradani, Kheldar and 5 others like this.
  17. Finora Well-Known Member

Benito my friend, you sound like you work in Daybreak's marketing department lol. You aren't making this sound any better with your lame excuses for this and comparisons to exorbitant pricing on items in another game. EQ1 is not EQ2 and decent looking gear is hard as heck to get in that game (especially post Luclin models). Though someone buying appearance armor for $100 + obviously value their appearance far more than I ever have (especially in EQ1 where the characters are still the same as they were back in ...I think 2001 was when Luclin was released.

I encourage you to read my post again closely. You will see I said PUSHING not FORCING. As in they are dangling a carrot trying to get people who don't normally buy their "power" items probably in hopes that they'll decide they like it and continue to buy them. It's a big "HAHA! You want new Frostfell themed item? You have to buy old mercenary crates, and not the holiday ones and power items from the marketplace to get them! Oh or name changers, server transfer tokens (but you'll only get a pittance for those). "

If (as I've been saying over and over) they had just stuffed them on the marketplace as they have in the past, then it would not have come across as a slimy money grab. That's where the holiday themed houses have always gone before. Heck, that's where the holiday themed mercenaries have always gone before.

Anyway you look at it, it doesn't look good on EQ2 and Daybreak to do this.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but they really do need to know what people are thinking about it and the image they are presenting.
    Argosunited, Eradani, Kheldar and 4 others like this.
  18. Feldon Well-Known Member

Seeing someone refer to customers who have paid thousands of dollars over the years to play EQ2 as freeloaders never gets old.
    knightowl, Alenna, Ratala and 18 others like this.
  19. Feldon Well-Known Member

Loot crates are illegal in Belgium and the Netherlands and a bill has been introduced to make them illegal in the United States.
    GrunEQ, Ratala, CoLD MeTaL and 13 others like this.
  20. Dethrayzin Active Member

Now that is funny.
    Rhodris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.