Heroes' Festival 2018 - Feedback and Bugs

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Kaitheel, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Kaitheel Developer

The Heroes' Festival has begun! We invite all Norrathian adventurers to commemorate another year of questing, raiding, tradeskilling, house decorating and socializing. Celebrators and event merchants, happy to share in the festivities, can be found in Qeynos Capitol District, or the City of Freeport. You won’t want to miss The Mischeva Play-Actors and their clothwork creations touring through Antonica, the Commonlands, Sinking Sands, Kylong Plains, the Eidolon Jungle, and Sundered Frontier!

New features for '18
    • Fallen Gate (TLE server) - Full event participation!
      • Due to zone access limitations the following fights are unavailable:
      • Baelon - Eidolon Jungle
      • Roehn Theer - The Stonebrunt Highland
    • 7 new festival themed house items sold by a Heroes' Festival merchant in Freeport and Qeynos Capitol District for Token of Heroism.
    • 5 new festival themed equipment items sold by a Heroes' Festival merchant in Freeport and Qeynos Capitol District for Mischeva's Tribute.

Returning features:
    • Achievements:
      • Test: Mischeva's Champion - only available on Test!
      • Badge of Heroics - complete all repeatable holiday quests
      • Mischeva's Champion - defeat all patchwork bosses.
      • Darathar's Reprise - defeat Darathar
      • Djinn Master's Reprise - defeat Djinn Master
      • Trakanon's Reprise - defeat Trakanon
      • Roehn Theer's Reprise - defeat Roehn Theer
      • Baelon's Reprise - defeat Baelon
    • Mischeva's Clothworks event - A strange woman and her band of play-actors have been seen travelling around Norrath. Where they set up camp, they bring to life the stories of Norrath's past.
    • Mischeva's Tribute currency, dropped by the clothwork bosses across Norrath.
    • Quests:
      • Collection quest: "Samples of Destiny" (Quest is not repeatable)
      • "The Play's The Thing" (Quest is not repeatable)
      • "A Heroes' Feast in Qeynos!" and "A Heroes' Feast in Freeport!" - Tradeskill quests (Quest is repeatable, once per event)
      • "Festive Flames in …" quests in Freeport and Qeynos. (Quest is repeatable every 2 hours )
      • "Thumore's Absence" (Quest is not repeatable)
      • "Shattered Remains" (Quest is repeatable, once per event)
      • "Missing Decorations in …" quests in Freeport and Qeynos. (Quest is repeatable every 2 hours, max 20 times)
      • “… Band Aid” quests in Freeport and Qeynos. (Quest is Not repeatable)
      • “Aggressive Advertising in …” quests in Freeport and Qeynos. (Quest is repeatable every 2 hours, max 25 times)
      • "A Dream Adventure" (Quest is repeatable, once per event)
      • Changes to existing content:
      • Missing Decorations in... - Killing gnolls now updates for the group.
      • Missing Decorations in... - Magical paper lanterns have more possible locations.
      • Missing Decorations in... - Placing magical paper lanterns now updates for the group.

Currently, this event is scheduled to be active on live servers from 11/1/18 at 12:01am until 11/13/18 at 11:59pm Pac time.

Something to keep in mind while you test this, it is active on Test while Nights of the Dead is active, but this will only be the case for one day on live servers.

~ Kaitheel
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Pixistik like this.
  2. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

LOL ... I was just logging onto Test to check the calendar before asking when we'd see this, when I found the email. Thanks!

(Of course, I don't have enough tokens of heroism on me to buy all the new house items to test them, but I'm working on it ... and checking alts on the second account!)
  3. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

Ok "Festival Stage Stairs" are an exact match for the crafted "Rickety Stage Stairs", except the festival version is *slightly* larger on default placement size. It isn't a reskin, even, as the details and coloring look to be an exact match.

"Festival Stage" is an exact match for mastercrafted "Rickety Stage" except the festival version has a smaller default placement size.

I guess I'm wondering why we need heirloom versions of these two items since they don't even use a different shade of wood grain. :)

(edit: on the plus side, it has allowed me to find two more crafted items that do not stack and need to go on the ginormous "doesn't stack list" in the homeshow forum ...)
  4. Kaitheel Developer

Hahaha! You wouldn't. *sigh* I made myself sad.

Those two items will magically turn into "Festival Chest" and "Festival Brazier" with the next update.

~ Kaitheel
  5. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

Than you sir! <3
    Kaitheel and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  6. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

(1540509266)[Thu Oct 25 19:14:26 2018] You start fighting.
    (1540511352)[Thu Oct 25 19:49:12 2018] You stop fighting.
    Trakanon..please explain how this fight is supposed to work, after this long grinding him down to 78% with a 110 ranger and 91 Paladin, couple of mercs, fired off a couple of Ascension spells, etc... he despawns..that part I understand..after 35 minutes or so on one fight he must have been tired.
    How is this in any way shape or form supposed to be fun? Its a stuffed animal for petes sake.

I don't care that a low level toon can take aggro, its that I think the fight is too long considering the damage output of the people involved on said stuffed animal.

What kind of heroes beat on things that cant hit back?
    Please adjust the stuffed animal encounters to make sense. All of them
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  7. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

TLDR - the *epic* fights were re-tuned to the desired levels last year, and are meant to be more than a pair of players and their mercs, regardless of levels, ascension abilities, etc. There is an internal consistency to these fights, and special mechanics involved so that folks of all levels can get credit for them, without some high-level breezing through and taking the mob down in seconds without the lower level folks being able to get an update on them.

I'm going to give you a brain dump from several years of testing this, since you make arguments that have been made frequently, in the past. I'm pretty (extremely) brain-fried from beta/etc, so if this comes off as a bit abrupt or snarky, it isn't meant to be. It is me struggling to be coherent still while fighting an overwhelming urge to faceplant on my keyboard before I have even had dinner tonight..

~~
    The mobs are a special kind of epic, which means they are tough to kill. Intentionally. It means they take time, even with high levels. Intentionally.

Most of your damage is being done based on the buff that gains increments as you hit the mob. You could be using level 1 spells, you could be using T1 arrows ... if you hit the mob, you get an increment, no matter how much or how little damage the ability is supposed to be doing. (It is a buff, but it shows up down in your detrimental window that is usually on the lower right of the screen.) This is pretty much the only way these encounters CAN work so that players of all levels can get credit (even low levels, as soon as they find a "will always hit" ability or CA ... some have to dig into AA's to do it, but they can participate as long as they can get a single hit to count.) The more hits you land, the higher your incremements of the buff, and the more damage you are doing to the mob. (There's a reason level 2 channelers were popular for the massive hours of testing we did last year, since they have an always hit arrow ability.)

It is meant to be done by considerably more than 2 players with their mercs. They've stated this all along. Last year we spent many, many, many hours with the devs in attendance, tweaking and tuning stuff, taking feedback, re-tweaking, re-tuning, etc.

I know it is frustrating on low pop servers, especially Test, but they can't/won't tune them to take less people/time because then it will punish all the low levels that may need many tries to get a hit to land before it "dies". Since the respawns are on timers, and most players can't wait around for a couple hours for the mob to be up in the rotation again and get enough bodies to take it out, care was taken to be sure that low levels could get involved.

Now, as far as Test goes, the Test-only achievement that allows you to /claim (on any character you want on Live or Test) the purple meatbeast mount, is going again this year. Folks who missed it last year, or didn't get enough, will likely be coming over to Test to earn it this year. Staying tuned to the cross-server channel /test instead of just /general will help coordinate warm bodies to go after the various mobs. (For those on other servers, including those of us spending most of our time on /beta, the channel is /test.test if you want to keep an ear out for mobs being taken down) I've already been telling folks who want to go after the mobs to give a shout in /test so we can log over if we're elsewhere and have the time to spare.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is one of the last hold-outs of the forced grouping things outside of raids. I can understand where they're coming from on it, but that doesn't mean I have to participate. :-/

Uwk
    who, yep, has tried in the past, on Test...back when they first came out, come to think, in a time and place where there weren't large groups :-/
  9. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Yea uh, no...
    Yet another part of an event that my account will never get an achievement on. /sigh

Whats the next event up, Frostfell?
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That's okay; after they cancelled the holiday scavenger hunts, none of my newer alts will ever get the Nights of the Dead Devotee achievement. :(

Uwk
  11. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I wish they would hide those refer a friend achievements we cannot get any longer, my OCD kicks in and I find myself trying to find some way to obtain the unobtainable. I am not saying remove them, as some people have them, just hide the category. Those of us that are OCD/Completionists begin to go insane seeing something there is no way we can complete.

Uwk, give me a shout, I will go on test and do puppets with you, I can also help you with any NoTD stuff or anything else, gives me someone to hang with and I like you. If you are on test just add me to your friends list over there and shout at me. If you cannot find me, send me an in-game mail and I will tell you those that I have been "body snatching" as of late.
  12. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Request that "The Dream Weaver Statue" be allowed to scale up to the same size as "Statue of the Heroic Lance" is allowed.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

You've got a Cyrrena on Test? Okay. :)

And yeah, I never have bothered with the puppets after the first year; just never been interested in the rewards enough. /shrug

I'm just a wee bit leery of the things we need to do these days for the NotD Devotee achievement; the whole "deal with me and my 'granddaughter' bit, and my undead friends that screw up your monitor and give you seizures, just about" series takes a lot of time (and with 8+ toons on Test that would need it, that's a lot of time [see PM]), and I've been hearing that the Horseman quests (most in Antonica) are still full of more bugs than the Amazon rainforest. :-/

But thanks for the offer! Will definitely be Friending you! :D

And don't be surprised if I do holler and bleat for assistance... ;->

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen; those should be at the same scale. :)

Uwk
    Kaitheel likes this.
  15. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

I just did "A Heroes' Feast in Qeynos!" but when I placed down the food and decorations, table, food and everything was already in place and clicking the shinies had no visual effect. I'm pretty sure the tables were blank and everything appeared last year. Maybe because I did it last year so art remembers I know there's stuff on the table.

I hope house items won't stay heirloom or I know who I'll stuff and eat for Frostfell *evil grin* (who said "psycopath"? I'm totally sane and a very nice person!)
  16. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

On Blanchette, in Qeynos (I'm evil) I had the gnolls respawn on me for Missing Decorations after I harvested the crates. I was alone in the zone.
  17. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

We just massively failed the Trakanon fight (too few of us) so we can say for certain that level 110 doesn't break this fight like it broke Tinkerfest PQ.
  18. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

ok, forget I said anything. On first round my pet probably kill them so I didn't saw them at all, and now I remember that there's 2 rounds of mobs instead of one (after having it happen again, I remembered).
    Sorry for the /facepalm time
  19. Kaitheel Developer

The following Heroes' Fest changes are now on their way to a server near you:
    • The Dream Weaver Statue - House item can now be scaled even larger.
    • A Heroes' Feast in _! - Food and decorations are now only seen after you've placed them, even if this is not your first time completing the quest.
    ~ Kaitheel
  20. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

Yay! Who wants stale food that's been sitting there untouched for a year? :)