Is it time for a stat squish?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Camoeb, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Camoeb New Member

Tried coming back to EQ2 recently but to be honest a lot of the stats and systems come across quite frankly as overwhelming for someone new or returning. It may be time to consolidate several of the stats and squish down the numbers so they come down to a more readable form again?
    SierraDawn likes this.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

There are really only four stats that matter: Potency, Crit Bonus, Ability Mod, and Resolve. If you don't intend to do Heroics or raiding, then only the first three matter. Everything else is just nice to have or tweaking for min/max.
    Siren, SierraDawn and CoLD MeTaL like this.
  3. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

Yeah but doesn't that change once a year? I thought fervor was the current flavor of the month?

(Just to be clear, I'm asking not telling lol)
    SierraDawn, Pixistik and Zeddicious like this.
  4. Earar Well-Known Member

don't forget inquisitors, they like their melee stats

with potency mitigation, u still need to reach the threshold or fervor will be less efficient anyhow
  5. Camoeb New Member

I understand what your saying about only having a few stats that actually matter, then get rid of the other stats if they provide no actual benefit. It's just causing unnecessary bloat in the item inspection screens then. I'm also saying reduce down all of the stamina and health of everything make numbers a little more legible and easier on the eye. Over time stats grow to pretty crazy numbers and need to be dialed back from time to time.
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

You said you only recently came back to the game. Maybe it would be a good idea to learn the current game before you ask for major change.
  7. Lasai Well-Known Member

" You just shut up now, other paying customer" Seriously ????
    Toxify, SierraDawn and Pixistik like this.
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

I don't see a paying customer. I see a person that says he "tried to come back." To me that means he didn't. So no, not a paying customer at all.

And, I don't believe I told anyone to shut up. If you look at what I said, I recommended that he learn how to play the game before recommending major change. That seems to be pretty reasonable.
    ConcealFate, Argosunited and Fangrim like this.
  9. slica Active Member

I mean stats are the same outside of having fervor and another form of dbl cast... pretty easy to grasp. Get as much of each as you can...
  10. Tx80i Member

I bet its safe to say the majority of these new members are players that are here now. OP didnt try to come back. They never left.
  11. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Fervor's soOoOo last expac! I thought that CB overcap was all the hoopla now?!? Seriously, I don't even know anymore.. this gets capped, so we stack this other one.. then wow, someone's doing well with this other stat maxxed out.. Really, if jello were hand grenades and potato was fly cow chicken then possible eleventeen.
    Argosunited and ConcealFate like this.
  12. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

It's not only the amount of stats we have, but also the numbers in general- several million here, several billion there. It's inconvinient and I'm sure it plays it's part in lags. What ever PC or Internet connection you have calculating such numbers in binary system must be an issue, at least in comparison to hundreeds and thosands.

So yes, I do believe as well that stas squish is needed: both in the ammount of stats and numbers.
    ConcealFate, Lasai and Rhodris like this.
  13. Cragfire Well-Known Member

Not too much of a part... but I'm sure a little.. Chances are they are declaring their variables as just "int" or integers in their programming code.( Data Types ). The chosen data type has a set address in memory taking up 'x' amount of space each; like a container you can use some of it or all of it, but it's a container as a whole.. (I know I'm over simplifying this)

But the point is not lost as there are dozens of things effecting each calculation being made. The optimization could be made by making fewer of these calculations.. Spell + Potency + Ability Mod + Crit Chance + Crit Amount (+Crit Bonus) + Fervor + Other buffs and modifiers + double cast +, +, +.... Not necessarily in that order (this is just an example) and I'm sure I'm missing several others.. Per spell cast, in this case.. Some modifiers may be applied differently, but in the end they have a similar result like potency and fervor.. That's backend crunching..

Front end.. for the creature playing the game, the modifiers can be dizzying.. I know my eyes get blurred when trying to read the damage I just did in the char log.. was that a million or a billion? 313445462 4562536463 4554636224.. Just adding commas would help tremendously. The issue, this would add another calculation that would hurt performance as we convert the integers to strings (changing data types) and adding commas to that string at every three characters.. Changing 35462154 to 35,462,154...

Example: Cragfire's Ball of Fire dose [damage integer] to Target.. --> to --> Cragfire's Ball of Fire dose CommaFunction([damage integer].toString) to Target...

Anyway.. I sure some optimizations could be made not only on the backend, but also creature comforts for the front end as well.
  14. Earar Well-Known Member

it's funny taunts and desaggros have comas but damage doesn't

just that would be such QoL
  15. Cragfire Well-Known Member

That's interesting.. I do, if I'm not mistaken, remember flying overhead combat numbers having commas.. but not the text log.. If the flying numbers have them, then just use that same variable in the log.. That could be an optimization right there and have a quality of life side effect. Double win.
  16. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

So that's why i can fry eggs on my tower when im running eq2? lol
    Zeddicious and Dude like this.
  17. Xakrein Well-Known Member

Would I like it if a stat squish was done successfully? Yes.
    Am I hoping they attempt to do a stat squish? No.

Around the time EoF & RoK were on farm status, the exponential growth of various metrics in EQ2 was glaringly obvious, but largely supported by the community. By the time DoV launched in 2011, I believe a stat squish was long overdue, but hardly anyone seemed to care.

With how small the team is in 2018, I believe that attempting a stat squish brings significant risk compared to any potential reward. While I love the idea of a properly done stat squish, I don't believe it is a viable option for EQ2 at this stage of its life.
    Dude likes this.
  18. Cragfire Well-Known Member

Some of it would be easy to implement.. Like.. Stop adding mechanics till the ones we have now are in better shape.

Sure we didn't need 100k+ Potency, but to counteract those numbers, there is now Potency Checks and reductions on Mobs. If you're going to give us high numbers in a stat, then mitigate some of that away.. That to me is a double calculation that dose not need to take place.

Tithing.. Dose anyone even open this window anymore?
  19. Mermut Well-Known Member

But if you're going to have 'potency mitigation' reveal that number to players so we can tell what numbers we need to meet to be effective...
  20. Cragfire Well-Known Member

True, true.. Though I do not mind a little mystery, some type of mechanic feedback would be nice. Such a feedback could work in conjunction with the current 'con' system.